U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 12:58 AM

6,741 posts, read 6,648,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Perhaps, one day, Korea will produce an anti-materialistic, anti-establishment Hippie-like generation, like in the U.S., in reaction to the materialism of their parents. Let's recall, members of the Hippie generation came from, largely, middle-class, upper-class families, not the lower classes.

What ya' think?
Korea is not America though. It will never be a "top" country, so they are unlikely to initiate any anti tradition thing. But who knows.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:16 AM

9,798 posts, read 13,412,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Korea is not America though. It will never be a "top" country, so they are unlikely to initiate any anti tradition thing. But who knows.
More likely, imho, any anti-tradition counterculture movement would be more like Japan's in the 80's and 90's, where it was ironically still linked heavily to consumerism and a dogged pursuit of the image of rejecting society rather than actually explicitly rejecting it.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 2,674 times
This reminds me of a similar thread a little while ago.

South Korea, what an awful country

It almost feels like it's the same person who posted the same thing again.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:31 PM

6,355 posts, read 6,449,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Perhaps, one day, Korea will produce an anti-materialistic, anti-establishment Hippie-like generation, like in the U.S., in reaction to the materialism of their parents. Let's recall, members of the Hippie generation came from, largely, middle-class, upper-class families, not the lower classes.

What ya' think?
It will happen. It is human nature.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:04 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,126,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
I've been working in South Korea for the past 2 years teaching English and thought i'd share my impressions.

If it wasn't for the money and convenience I would not live here. Never seen a more fugged up society in my life. Growing up kids are enslaved to the education system. They are pretty much in a school setting all day and all night along with Saturdays. I would literally go crazy with their schedule and workload. They are def smart, but I am not sure the price is worth it. You must strike a balance. Somewhere between the West's (US) and the East.

Then after college most people just slave away at some job for the rest of their life. I really doubt most people ever truly enjoy their life. Korea has one of the highest suicide rates in the world. Additionally, Korea is one of the most vain and materialistic countries i've come across. The only thing people care about are looks and money. I kid you not, women have to spend at least half the day looking at themselves in a mirror.

Korea is also quite racist. Xenophobic and homogenous describes them quite well. People on a whole are simply not very friendly or helping to outsiders. Hell I am not even sure they help themselves. Can't tell you how many times i've been on the subway and some drunk Korean man is harassing women and not one person confronts him and tells him to stop. I have to get up and tell the joker to stop in my broken Korean, maybe throw in some swear words to show him I am not kidding.

They also have a distinct lack of manners. They spit all over the place and make a ton of noise when they eat. People cut in front of you in lines, cut you off going through doors, do not give way when walking on the side walk.

I am sure I am missing stuff, but really, Korea is a ville country imo.

Not to completely trash Korea, I will conclude with some things I like

Great transportation system & Good food

Thank God for vacations to South East Asia and Latin America!

The funny thing is how you described Korea was exactly identical to the US yrs ago! I wonder what exactly caused us change.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:02 AM

6,741 posts, read 6,648,882 times
Korea is essentially a country with only one ethnic group. You cannot expect them to think or behave the same way as Americans (or even as Chinese).

From a view of Chinese, I think Koreans are even more nationalist, and have a strong desire to be unique as a nation. Gender roles/stereotypes are heavily enforced.

They have better self discipline than Chinese, on average.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:10 AM

15 posts, read 15,210 times
Koreans like to beat Japan in competitions and rankings and would love to see Korea overtake Japan.
Koreans seem to be optimistic that they will overtake Japan in economy since Korea is rising fast with Japan falling.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:47 AM

675 posts, read 444,222 times
Lol

Oldhag1 deleted like 50% of my posts in this thread. Wish there was someway to see what it was I wrote as I certainly don't think all that was rude or inappropriate.

On another note. My degree and FBI background check should be coming in the mall this week. Then I can get the process rolling for finding a job in Seoul. Should be there by mid June.

Learned my lesson last year from living in a 2nd tier city. Never again in Korea! Seoul, Daegu, Busan, or BUST.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:27 AM

15,957 posts, read 36,306,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
Korea is also quite racist. Xenophobic and homogenous describes them quite well.
This is why I can't take the 'Singapore is racist' threads very seriously that seem to keep coming up from SingaporeLady on the forum.

In my experience, EVERY country has that element. Singapore felt WAY WAY WAY LESS compared to when I was living in South Korea.

Granted I never lived in Singapore, but South Korea is pretty good at giving visible doses of it from time to time.

That being said, I quite liked living in South Korea. I wouldn't go back, but I quite liked it in a love/hate way while I was there.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:07 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,282,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
This is why I can't take the 'Singapore is racist' threads very seriously that seem to keep coming up from SingaporeLady on the forum.

In my experience, EVERY country has that element. Singapore felt WAY WAY WAY LESS compared to when I was living in South Korea.

Granted I never lived in Singapore, but South Korea is pretty good at giving visible doses of it from time to time.

That being said, I quite liked living in South Korea. I wouldn't go back, but I quite liked it in a love/hate way while I was there.
Honestly the xenophobia situation is Singapore only got obvious and serious this year or so.. So there isnt really much basis for comparison of you are talking about it say 3-4 years ago..

If you go to the forum.singaporeexpats.com forum board, you Will find there are a few expats in Singapore wanting out now..

Singapore Expats Forum View topic - Thinking of moving to Singapore

Also I have shared this in other threads, not sure of you have read it

Singapore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or