U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 11:47 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Wow, were they all women? Below 5 feet? Sure they weren't like escaped North Koreans? Even among old Korean ladies below 5 feet seems exceptionally short...

Now it's common Koreans over 6 feet.
There were grandfathers there as well. Yeah, seemed really short as six-feet tall Koreans are not uncommon nowadays. I think it was around 5 feet, because I was still young and did not attain my adult height yet at that time, but all of them were shorter than me.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:48 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,455,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
I've been working in South Korea for the past 2 years teaching English and thought i'd share my impressions.

If it wasn't for the money and convenience I would not live here. Never seen a more fugged up society in my life. Growing up kids are enslaved to the education system. They are pretty much in a school setting all day and all night along with Saturdays. I would literally go crazy with their schedule and workload. They are def smart, but I am not sure the price is worth it. You must strike a balance. Somewhere between the West's (US) and the East.

Then after college most people just slave away at some job for the rest of their life. I really doubt most people ever truly enjoy their life. Korea has one of the highest suicide rates in the world. Additionally, Korea is one of the most vain and materialistic countries i've come across. The only thing people care about are looks and money. I kid you not, women have to spend at least half the day looking at themselves in a mirror.

Korea is also quite racist. Xenophobic and homogenous describes them quite well. People on a whole are simply not very friendly or helping to outsiders. Hell I am not even sure they help themselves. Can't tell you how many times i've been on the subway and some drunk Korean man is harassing women and not one person confronts him and tells him to stop. I have to get up and tell the joker to stop in my broken Korean, maybe throw in some swear words to show him I am not kidding.

They also have a distinct lack of manners. They spit all over the place and make a ton of noise when they eat. People cut in front of you in lines, cut you off going through doors, do not give way when walking on the side walk.

I am sure I am missing stuff, but really, Korea is a ville country imo.

Not to completely trash Korea, I will conclude with some things I like

Great transportation system & Good food

Thank God for vacations to South East Asia and Latin America!
I am married to a Korean and have now spent good year in total living with my wife's family in Seoul. I was always told the reason why Koreans eat so loudly is because it is their way of saying they are enjoying the food they are eating.

Some very valid criticisms however. I found the habit of spiting and pushing in lines to be far more of a problem in China than it is in Korea.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:52 PM

143 posts, read 152,227 times
Quote:
Doesn't bother me at all that they have a strong work ethic. Albeit forced, but that is another topic altogether. I merely pity them on that front. As life is much more than school and work. I'd imagine their high suicide rate and overall happiness have something to do with it.

What bothers or annoys me is the rudeness, shallowness, and racistness of the country. But then again I am merely here to work. So I can tolerate it. Well, with the exception of tolerating drunk or rude men berating women on the subway or bus.

Racists... may be to the other Asians/Africans/Russians but to the Westerners they seem to be more insecure and feel a bit inferior, especially to the Americans. At least to my experiences while worked and lived there for almost 3 years.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:53 PM

183 posts, read 210,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I've been to Korea a few times and know a few Koreans. I never noticed any spitting in public places. At least not to the extent as in mainland China. I know they can be rude and there are certain behavior that would be classified as inappropriate by Western standards, but unless they are being rude to me, I don't mind other people's business. Why does it bother you if people have a strong work ethic anyway? If it is not worth it to you, then don't do it. It's worth it to them to study and work that hard. Who are we to judge?

I first visited Korea 26 years ago. Compared to what it is now, it sure has improved a lot. But the most striking thing that I can never forget is a busload of old Koreans. They were so rowdy, loud and caused a riot at the old palace. They were behaving like a bunch of 8-year-old kids, and they have the height of 8-year-old kids as well! It seemed none of them are more than 5 ft tall. A Korean guide explained that they let them be like that because these were people who grew up during the most difficult times in Korea. Their lack of height is probably due to both malnutrition and severe overwork. I have never seen people like that, not even in China, which I also visited around the same time and was really undeveloped during that time. So when Koreans said that their grandparents or great grandparents had a very difficult life, I understood they meant REALLY difficult after witnessing that. Most of the people in that generation probably passed away now, so I haven't seen any of them in my last trip to Korea.
Thank you for sharing that story.
Although Korea today seems flashy and modern, we grew up with stories from our parents about war, famine and poverty.
It's something that we always keep in mind, and it makes the competitiveness bearable.
It breaks my heart to know that North Koreans today are a foot shorter than we are because of malnutrition. I have friends whose parents still have family in North Korea who have been seperated for too long.
For me personally, North Korea is a burden that we have to bear whether we want it or not.
We have to be ready to take the financial hit when unification comes, and working hard is the least that you can do.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:58 PM

675 posts, read 441,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPKS View Post
Racists... may be to the other Asians/Africans/Russians but to the Westerners they seem to be more insecure and feel a bit inferior, especially to the Americans. At least to my experiences while worked and lived there for almost 3 years.
Can't agree with that. They elevate Korean society so much in the home and school that Koreans have a ton of pride. The only thing they might be feeling inferior about is the more straighter noses of Westerners lol. But that is only until they schedule their plastic surgery.

You ever dated a Korean girl and met her parents? No way someone with experience with that can say they are not racists. And it doesnt matter what Nationality you are. They do not want their bloodline to be "contaminated". Which all goes back to the xenophobia and homogenous nature of their society.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:04 AM

3,511 posts, read 5,455,709 times
Quote:
Can't agree with that. They elevate Korean society so much in the home and school that Koreans have a ton of pride. The only thing they might be feeling inferior about is the more straighter noses of Westerners lol. But that is only until they schedule their plastic surgery.

You ever dated a Korean girl and met her parents? No way someone with experience with that can say they are not racists. And it doesnt matter what Nationality you are. They do not want their bloodline to be "contaminated". Which all goes back to the xenophobia and homogenous nature of their society.
I have, and no they are not racist in my opinion.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:08 AM

143 posts, read 152,227 times
Quote:

The Koreans are not as homogenous as they would like to think. My Western friend married a beautiful (inside and outside) Korean woman (i'm a bit jealous of him ). Her parents seem to accept my friend into their extended family. Now, on the other hand, I can't tell whether they would object to her marrying a non-Korean Asian or other race.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:08 AM

183 posts, read 210,026 times
My sister is dating a Dutch guy and my parents love him. You seemed to have met the wrong people.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:12 AM

675 posts, read 441,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
My sister is dating a Dutch guy and my parents love him. You seemed to have met the wrong people.
You guys are talking about outliers that are not indicative of the collective view / opinion of society.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:15 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I am married to a Korean and have now spent good year in total living with my wife's family in Seoul. I was always told the reason why Koreans eat so loudly is because it is their way of saying they are enjoying the food they are eating.

Some very valid criticisms however. I found the habit of spiting and pushing in lines to be far more of a problem in China than it is in Korea.
Both spitting and eating loudly are traits found in Vietnam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or