Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 08:55 PM

675 posts, read 544,162 times

Advertisements

I've been working in South Korea for the past 2 years teaching English and thought i'd share my impressions.

If it wasn't for the money and convenience I would not live here. Never seen a more fugged up society in my life. Growing up kids are enslaved to the education system. They are pretty much in a school setting all day and all night along with Saturdays. I would literally go crazy with their schedule and workload. They are def smart, but I am not sure the price is worth it. You must strike a balance. Somewhere between the West's (US) and the East.

Then after college most people just slave away at some job for the rest of their life. I really doubt most people ever truly enjoy their life. Korea has one of the highest suicide rates in the world. Additionally, Korea is one of the most vain and materialistic countries i've come across. The only thing people care about are looks and money. I kid you not, women have to spend at least half the day looking at themselves in a mirror.

Korea is also quite racist. Xenophobic and homogenous describes them quite well. People on a whole are simply not very friendly or helping to outsiders. Hell I am not even sure they help themselves. Can't tell you how many times i've been on the subway and some drunk Korean man is harassing women and not one person confronts him and tells him to stop. I have to get up and tell the joker to stop in my broken Korean, maybe throw in some swear words to show him I am not kidding.

They also have a distinct lack of manners. They spit all over the place and make a ton of noise when they eat. People cut in front of you in lines, cut you off going through doors, do not give way when walking on the side walk.

I am sure I am missing stuff, but really, Korea is a ville country imo.

Not to completely trash Korea, I will conclude with some things I like

Great transportation system & Good food

Thank God for vacations to South East Asia and Latin America!

Last edited by medellinheel; 05-04-2014 at 09:46 PM..

Old 05-04-2014, 09:17 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
The title of the thread looks trolly, but it seems like you have some valid criticisms. You should probably tweek that because people are about to lose their minds on you.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:53 PM

177 posts, read 269,061 times
Just not your cup of tea. Sorry that you had a bad experience, but that is how Korea became a developed country in two generations.
I grew up in Korea, went to an Ivy for grad school in the US and was awed by how many of my American peers lacked basic knowledge and self control. And not to speak of sense of entitlement.
It's hard for a Western person who grew up in a individuallistic country to understand a collectivist society like Korea, but that is how people live, think and breathe.
If you hate it so much, you should leave. But I would try to learn from the experience and see what hard work and discipline brought about in a country that was poorer than Somalia 50 years ago.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:56 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
There have been various posts and threads about korean communities in the States. Some of the posters also had pessimistic things to say. If they are so xenophobic as you say, why do they leave their country?

Old 05-04-2014, 09:59 PM

I am gonna do one more "tour" of duty in Korea.

Not sure their rise to industrial / economic power was worth the all that I outlined.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:09 PM

It's not for you to judge. We have an example of what could have gone wrong just a couple of miles north of Seoul and it's called North Korea.
Because you grew up in a peaceful country and enjoyed your education system that gave you plenty of holiday weeks doesn't mean you can impose your standards on a completely different country.
I am grateful that my parents walked 15 miles a day to go to school and built up a country from the ashes of war.
They made it wealthy enough for me to travel all across the world and get an education in the US. They thought it was worth it and so do I.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:11 PM

I am not trying to impose anything on South Korea.

I am merely stating my observations and feelings.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:16 PM

Then try to put things in perspective is what I would tell you.
Try to learn more about our history and culture instead of judging.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:19 PM

Putting things in perspective doesn't excuse all that I touched on nor give them a free pass. It is what it is.

You are entitled to your own opinion none the less.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:25 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
Putting things in perspective doesn't excuse all that I touched on nor give them a free pass. It is what it is.

You are entitled to your own opinion none the less.
But honestly how rampant are the behaviors you claim? I have met many koreans from Korea, and they do not all exhibit these traits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia