Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 11:26 PM

177 posts, read 267,000 times

Advertisements

Lol.
As I said, leave if you don't like it.
Why does Korea need a free pass from who and what?? From your opionions?
I have a sense that you are not a English teacher, nor living in Korea.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:29 PM

675 posts, read 540,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But honestly how rampant are the behaviors you claim? I have met many koreans from Korea, and they do not all exhibit these traits.
Very prevalent sadly. Yes there are all always exceptions, many great wonderful and pleasant Koreans. I am merely speaking from a general majority perspective. Just as Filipinos are considered very friendly, I've met a few that certainly wasn't.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
Lol.
As I said, leave if you don't like it.
Why does Korea need a free pass from who and what?? From your opionions?
I have a sense that you are not a English teacher, nor living in Korea.
I am there for money and convenience. Not there to enjoy the people or culture.

Don't recall saying Korea needed a free pass or anything for that matter. Simply they were not getting one from me. Sorry just nothing in Korea's past is an excuse to be rude and shallow.

I spent the last year teaching (Avalon) in Suwon (Ingyedong). Spent my weekends in Songtan and Seoul (Itaewon/Hongdae/Gangnam). Ate budae jjigae everyday and pizza school 2 times a week. Yea, I am not an English teacher nor lived in Korea.

Actually been out of the country traveling South East Asia since December and visiting family in the states. Going back next month.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:47 PM

9,744 posts, read 20,660,860 times
Out of curiosity what are your observations/experiences/opinions of other Asian countries?

Old 05-04-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Out of curiosity what are your observations/experiences/opinions of other Asian countries?
Only country i've spent a lot of time in is Philippines. Just passed through the others.

Philippines

Friendliest people country i've ever been to.

Thailand

Great cheap food. Bangkok was expensive to party.

Cambodia

Dusty place. Unattractive women. Angkor Wat must see.

Vietnam

Conservative. Traditional. Expensive lame nightlife.

I am going to China, Japan, and Indonesia this year. Also gonna go back to the Philippines twice.

Gonna be able to cross off Asia from my to do list come this time next summer. Then it's off to Dominican Republic and Colombia to enjoy the summer.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
Sorry, I have seen too many Chinese trolls here who's joy in life is to trash Korea.
The past is indeed no excuse to be shallow and rude, but I am telling you to try to understand why an entire country became hyper competitive.
It's too bad that you are left with such bad impressions, but that's how it is I guess.
Hope you find a decent paying job in another country soon that will get "a pass".
Seems China, Korea, and Japan all dislike each other. All my Korean students hated Japan and referred to them as monkeys lol I trolled them by saying my gf was Japanese.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:07 AM

177 posts, read 267,000 times
..That' what happens when your parents tell you stories of how somebody they knew got raped over and over again by Japanese soldiers.
I guess they are still young and ignorant. I used to think that way until I started actually meeting Japanese and now I have many Japanese friends who are very thoughtful and considerate. There's a lot to learn from them. I think younger generations get along better. Time heals all.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:28 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,187,973 times
I've been to Korea a few times and know a few Koreans. I never noticed any spitting in public places. At least not to the extent as in mainland China. I know they can be rude and there are certain behavior that would be classified as inappropriate by Western standards, but unless they are being rude to me, I don't mind other people's business. Why does it bother you if people have a strong work ethic anyway? If it is not worth it to you, then don't do it. It's worth it to them to study and work that hard. Who are we to judge?

I first visited Korea 26 years ago. Compared to what it is now, it sure has improved a lot. But the most striking thing that I can never forget is a busload of old Koreans. They were so rowdy, loud and caused a riot at the old palace. They were behaving like a bunch of 8-year-old kids, and they have the height of 8-year-old kids as well! It seemed none of them are more than 5 ft tall. A Korean guide explained that they let them be like that because these were people who grew up during the most difficult times in Korea. Their lack of height is probably due to both malnutrition and severe overwork. I have never seen people like that, not even in China, which I also visited around the same time and was really undeveloped during that time. So when Koreans said that their grandparents or great grandparents had a very difficult life, I understood they meant REALLY difficult after witnessing that. Most of the people in that generation probably passed away now, so I haven't seen any of them in my last trip to Korea.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:35 AM

9,744 posts, read 20,660,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I've been to Korea a few times and know a few Koreans. I never noticed any spitting in public places. At least not to the extent as in mainland China. I know they can be rude and there are certain behavior that would be classified as inappropriate by Western standards, but unless they are being rude to me, I don't mind other people's business. Why does it bother you if people have a strong work ethic anyway? If it is not worth it to you, then don't do it. It's worth it to them to study and work that hard. Who are we to judge?

I first visited Korea 26 years ago. Compared to what it is now, it sure has improved a lot. But the most striking thing that I can never forget is a busload of old Koreans. They were so rowdy, loud and caused a riot at the old palace. They were behaving like a bunch of 8-year-old kids, and they have the height of 8-year-old kids as well! It seemed none of them are more than 5 ft tall. A Korean guide explained that they let them be like that because these were people who grew up during the most difficult times in Korea. Their lack of height is probably due to both malnutrition and severe overwork. I have never seen people like that, not even in China, which I also visited around the same time and was really undeveloped during that time. So when Koreans said that their grandparents or great grandparents had a very difficult life, I understood they meant REALLY difficult after witnessing that. Most of the people in that generation probably passed away now, so I haven't seen any of them in my last trip to Korea.
Wow, were they all women? Below 5 feet? Sure they weren't like escaped North Koreans? Even among old Korean ladies below 5 feet seems exceptionally short...

Now it's common Koreans over 6 feet.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Doesn't bother me at all that they have a strong work ethic. Albeit forced, but that is another topic altogether. I merely pity them on that front. As life is much more than school and work. I'd imagine their high suicide rate and overall happiness have something to do with it.

What bothers or annoys me is the rudeness, shallowness, and racistness of the country. But then again I am merely here to work. So I can tolerate it. Well, with the exception of tolerating drunk or rude men berating women on the subway or bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia