Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 08:33 PM

45 posts, read 137,059 times

Advertisements

I don't see what is so nonheteronormative about discussing the beauty qualities of women in different countries.

But are men really to blame for female anxiety towards the beauty standards? Most men seem pretty put off by plastic surgery tbh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 08:51 PM

177 posts, read 267,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aromesaveur View Post
I don't see what is so nonheteronormative about discussing the beauty qualities of women in different countries.
Yeah, you do that in front of a group of women in real life and see how they react. Especially, read out the list of countries and the flaws.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:04 PM

45 posts, read 137,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
Yeah, you do that in front of a group of women in real life and see how they react. Especially, read out the list of countries and the flaws.
I've done it before and they were fine with the discussion. As a matter of fact they listened to Korean pop music and followed the popular culture and yet agreed that the portrayal of Korean celebrities was far out of line of reality. This didn't really dissuade them from continuing.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:18 PM

Well this girl would laugh at you in the face and call you gay. And I know many others who would too.
No harsh feelings, that is really what my gay friends in New York do. Discuss botox and make-up.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:24 AM

28,559 posts, read 18,560,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
Well this girl would laugh at you in the face and call you gay. And I know many others who would too.
No harsh feelings, that is really what my gay friends in New York do. Discuss botox and make-up.
I think there is something homophobic about the idea that only a gay man would pay attention to what women are wearing or doing to their bodies.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:50 AM

9,744 posts, read 20,660,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I think there is something homophobic about the idea that only a gay man would pay attention to what women are wearing or doing to their bodies.
Yeah I know, talk about rigid.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:20 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,238,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aromesaveur View Post
The strange thing about Japan is that I rarely if ever see a strongly unattractive woman. Perhaps plain but never really what I would consider ugly. I not sure if this is due to my inability to judge or due to the power of makeup and beauty products. Most just seem to be near and around the beauty standard, they aren't as unique looking, but never stray too far I think. Homogeneity certainly plays a big role.
I guess it depends on the beholder, or perhaps, the location. North of Tokyo, towards Hokkaido, I'd say the obsession with glamour noticeably tapers off. I can think of several Japan celebrities who I wouldn't consider attractive, contrary to her public perception. And other female celebrities (usually in sports, or comedy) whose appeal has nothing to do with looks.

I'm just glad that Japan hasn't caught Korea's plastic surgery epidemic, and natural looks and even imperfections (a crooked tooth is considered youthful and cute... hah) are accepted. Although opting for surgery is definitely a popular choice, and you shouldn't assume that everyone you see was born looking that way.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:28 AM

9,744 posts, read 20,660,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I guess it depends on the beholder, or perhaps, the location. North of Tokyo, towards Hokkaido, I'd say the obsession with glamour noticeably tapers off. I can think of several Japan celebrities who I wouldn't consider attractive, contrary to her public perception. And other female celebrities (usually in sports, or comedy) whose appeal has nothing to do with looks.

I'm just glad that Japan hasn't caught Korea's plastic surgery epidemic, and natural looks and even imperfections (a crooked tooth is considered youthful and cute... hah) are accepted. Although opting for surgery is definitely a popular choice, and you shouldn't assume that everyone you see was born looking that way.
While many Japanese have small eyes, many are naturally larger-eyed and double-lidded.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah I know, talk about rigid.
No I am saying that straigt men discussing what is wrong with women in different countries and creating a list is beyond pathetic.

It's offensive to any woman with integrity and never before in my life have I seen guys do that.
But I have seen posters here obsess about skin color and ethnic backgrounds so I am not too surprized.

Now if you boys discuss sports and beer, I would find that cute.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:22 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,238,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
While many Japanese have small eyes, many are naturally larger-eyed and double-lidded.
It's also wise to not assume that every Japanese person's bloodline hails entirely from Japan or even Asia, despite looking purely Asian. Even if a person's family is 100% Japanese, in Japan's ancient history, emigrants from now-Korea's landmass occupied most of Honshu. Their physical characteristics included fair skin and smaller eyelids. Japanese whose family could date back to the very beginning, are mostly found in the northernmost and southernmost parts of the country. They're typically darker-skinned with large, double-lid eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia