U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 07:20 AM

1,011 posts, read 628,280 times

Advertisements

In terms of urban life, Chinese cities are much better than NYC, offering better infrastructure and food options. So for a Chinese living in US, they do not get impressed with the urban scene in NYC.
Rather, most Chinese would prefer California. They basically came to US for a big house and a big car. Apparently living in NYC, you can have none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
Lol. You obviously like suburbia. I party with models and go to fashion shows.
Eat at le Bernadin.
My friends are extremely successful, and from all over the world.
Life is great when you are established here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 07:25 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Quote:
Lol. You obviously like suburbia. I party with models and go to fashion shows.
Eat at le Bernadin.
My friends are extremely successful, and from all over the world.
Life is great when you are established here.
that's only because you made it. How about the rest of 90% who didn't? Most New Yorkers don't make much higher salary than rest of the US yet suffering from high housing prices and long commute.

NYC has a high quality of life only if you are successful. Otherwise it is just 3H per day commute and smelly subways (much like Shanghai nowadays). All the culture and glamour really have little to do with them.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:30 AM

NYC is just like SH, being a major financial center and employment center. It does not really offer greater quality of life and anything culturally significant. I spent several weeks in NYC. Really not much to see.

LA is much better, nicer weather, lower density, good beaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
that's only because you made it. How about the rest of 90% who didn't? Most New Yorkers don't make much higher salary than rest of the US yet suffering from high housing prices and long commute.

NYC has a high quality of life only if you are successful. Otherwise it is just 3H per day commute and smelly subways (much like Shanghai nowadays). All the culture and glamour really have little to do with them.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:08 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,353,482 times
Quote:
Nobody who has lived in NY ever wants to live in Boston FYI.
And NY is more competitive than anything in China. In China you compete against other Chinese, in NY you compete against the best and brightest of the world.
IDK, I lived across frpm the UN for about six months, and vastly prefer Boston, LA, and SF to NYC. It would take a grip of cash to get me to consider moving back there and considering that I took Beverly Hills and SF over it before I don't see why it wouldn't happen again.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:14 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,353,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
In terms of urban life, Chinese cities are much better than NYC, offering better infrastructure and food options. So for a Chinese living in US, they do not get impressed with the urban scene in NYC.
Rather, most Chinese would prefer California. They basically came to US for a big house and a big car. Apparently living in NYC, you can have none.
NYC has a way more dynamic and international food scene than anywhere in China, including HK, and it still isn't as good as SF, or LA for that matter.

Don't try to speak for all Chinese. There are many thousands who already have chosen NYC over any Chinese city and plenty more who would, given the option.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:16 AM

2,701 posts, read 4,669,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
oh, you "read an article"... maybe before making sure it is indeed true, you should hestate about spreading the news in advance? Or any negative news on China is good news? Since it is bad on China, it must be true?

China has many problems, but so many people jumping to accuse it of everything doesn't really help. I feel that too many anti-China folks due to years of brainwashing by their highly biased media just love to believe and spread anything negative related to China and dismiss as much as they can anything positive.
I find it so funny that people in China or the really pro-China people think they are speaking the absolute truth when spreading any negative information about the U.S., but get so upset and think people are just spreading lies or exaggerating the facts or are just brainwashed when bringing up negative news about China.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:18 AM

Chinese chose america for many reasons. One of the most important one is higher pay.

If they can make equal amount of money, I would bet 90% of the chinese would return to Shanghai or Beijing. I regularly visit overseas Chinese forums. A lot of them would accept half pay in order to get back to China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
NYC has a way more dynamic and international food scene than anywhere in China, including HK, and it still isn't as good as SF, or LA for that matter.

Don't try to speak for all Chinese. There are many thousands who already have chosen NYC over any Chinese city and plenty more who would, given the option.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:21 AM

The problem is that so many Brainwashed westerners have only exposure to western media, which is famous for their negative view on China.

At least the pro China people can read CNN in English and knows what is going on in US. The brainwashed China bashers cannot read Chinese, and have no clue what is happening in China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I find it so funny that people in China or the really pro-China people think they are speaking the absolute truth when spreading any negative information about the U.S., but get so upset and think people are just spreading lies or exaggerating the facts or are just brainwashed when bringing up negative news about China.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
People keep mentioning things like this- Chinese cities absolutely do not have better infrastructure or qol- especially not the qol! China is a developing country, which means that even the nicer cities are still quite a ways behind those in developed countries. I've been to Chinese cities many times as my wife is from there and all of her family lives back there- they live in a modern city there, but everywhere you look you can still tell you are in a DEVELOPING country where QOL and general living standards are not up to what they are here in the U.S. or other fully developed nations. It is a very stark difference, it is why many, many of my wife's relatives- especially the younger ones who have quite a bit of money- have moved away permanently to places like the U.S., Canada, and Australia. I met some of them at times when in China visiting, and they discussed this a lot, sure they love their country but won't hesitate to discuss all the reasons why the quality of life is so much better for them in these other places.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
The problem is that so many Brainwashed westerners have only exposure to western media, which is famous for their negative view on China.

At least the pro China people can read CNN in English and knows what is going on in US. The brainwashed China bashers cannot read Chinese, and have no clue what is happening in China.
No, even if CNN is available to them, most of the "brainwashed" people on the other side in China only watch/listen to their local media which pumps mostly negative news about the U.S. and the west, so that is all they know. It goes both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or