U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 10:36 AM

6,730 posts, read 6,621,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
Nobody who has lived in NY ever wants to live in Boston FYI.
And NY is more competitive than anything in China. In China you compete against other Chinese, in NY you compete against the best and brightest of the world.
Not completely true.
I met a few New Yorkers in Boston. They moved to Boston.

New York is more competitive than Shanghai/Beijing for some careers, but not for others (e.g. low to mid level engineers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 11:29 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,286,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
So basically, if it wasn't for the superior QOL, opportunities,and relative ease with which to obtain them in the US, they wouldn't leave China.
I don't agree with the "opportunity" part. For career oriented people, China offers far more opportunities than the US, the reasons being

1) China is growing at 8% a year, the US, less than 2%.
2) US is a very mature country while in China many industries are still on the rise, which means it is easier to find business opportunities in China.
3) foreigners have to work under America's almost cruel working visa policy, which means the Chinese are eligible to apply for something like 20% of the jobs in the market due to such restriction (many employers don't sponsor H1B visa), while in China they can work anywhere they want. It takes 5-10 years to obtain a green card for a chinese citizen just so you know.
4) glass ceilings we all know about.

People move to the US for a variety of reasons, and opportunities are not one of them. Most people move because the pay is higher and cost of living is much lower in comparison. Houses are much cheaper. Education is more accessible and less competitive for their kids. Better environment. Opportunities? No. They are sacrificing their opportunities for the sake of living in the US.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:28 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,048,504 times
Basically, they leave because they have no trust other Chinese people will do the right thing when left on their own. Why does it take an expose for people to realize putting toxic stuff in food to save money is wrong for the food industry? Why does the government have to ensure factories aren't poisoning everyone by dumping chemicals into the river. Sure, businesses here have to be regulated as well but the Chinese are on a whole other level of the world be damned as long as I can make money mentality. Every Chinese person knows this so they can't wait to leave the country.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:45 AM

1,011 posts, read 631,238 times
I don't have any food security issue in my entire life, more than 30 years in China. My family, my friends, no one said they had any poisoning or what so ever. Of course there are some incidents, but for a country of 1.3 billion, the chance is slimmer to be poisoned in China than to be shot in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It doesn't mean explicitly "Anglo," but Japan certainly is not Western, with its homogeneous population and sensibilities, its non-Judeo/Christian spiritual history and traditions. Mexico and Brazil aren't Anglo but they are Western. Japan is not.

So, how about the safety and quality of Chinese foodstuffs?

I haven't gotten food poisoning yet, but the popularity of Western-originating ingredients is quite popular with those who can afford it...

Old 05-09-2014, 01:48 AM

1,011 posts, read 631,238 times
Many Chinese Americans are in a dilema. A lot of them want to go back to China, to experience the excitement of change. But still when they have family, there are a lot of reason that they have to stay.

Their kids may not be able to adapt the Chinese style eduction (which i think it is better than American education). Also, they might not be able to stand the competition and work stress which is common in China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't agree with the "opportunity" part. For career oriented people, China offers far more opportunities than the US, the reasons being

1) China is growing at 8% a year, the US, less than 2%.
2) US is a very mature country while in China many industries are still on the rise, which means it is easier to find business opportunities in China.
3) foreigners have to work under America's almost cruel working visa policy, which means the Chinese are eligible to apply for something like 20% of the jobs in the market due to such restriction (many employers don't sponsor H1B visa), while in China they can work anywhere they want. It takes 5-10 years to obtain a green card for a chinese citizen just so you know.
4) glass ceilings we all know about.

People move to the US for a variety of reasons, and opportunities are not one of them. Most people move because the pay is higher and cost of living is much lower in comparison. Houses are much cheaper. Education is more accessible and less competitive for their kids. Better environment. Opportunities? No. They are sacrificing their opportunities for the sake of living in the US.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:24 AM

5,637 posts, read 2,928,195 times
I love how these threads start out on one topic and diverge quickly to China vs the world arguments.

Now, getting back to gutter oil. Even if this stuff doesn't make you sick or is harmful to your health long term, just the grossness of it is off-putting for me.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:18 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,286,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I love how these threads start out on one topic and diverge quickly to China vs the world arguments.

Now, getting back to gutter oil. Even if this stuff doesn't make you sick or is harmful to your health long term, just the grossness of it is off-putting for me.
Gutter oil is disgusting and illegal. I think everyone agrees with that. There is not much disagreement and therefore not much to talk about, is there?

People digress.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:08 PM

9,565 posts, read 9,437,752 times
Many families reuse cooking oil several times, including my own. How is that different from "gutter oil"?

Old 05-23-2014, 08:46 PM

4,165 posts, read 9,135,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Many families reuse cooking oil several times, including my own. How is that different from "gutter oil"?
You didn't reuse yours after it has gone through the sewer drains.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:25 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,276,942 times
Quote:
it is pretty disgusting and one of the main reasons many people want to immigrate. Other reason is pollution.
no matter how rich one is, he still has to consume food and breath air like everyone else. This kind of practice deserves capital punishment.
Quote:
oh, you "read an article"... maybe before making sure it is indeed true, you should hestate about spreading the news in advance? Or any negative news on China is good news? Since it is bad on China, it must be true?

China has many problems, but so many people jumping to accuse it of everything doesn't really help. I feel that too many anti-China folks due to years of brainwashing by their highly biased media just love to believe and spread anything negative related to China and dismiss as much as they can anything positive.
So is it true or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or