U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 01:04 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,117,211 times

Advertisements

This Exposť of China's 'Gutter Oil' Black Market Will Churn Your Stomach

A video shot and released earlier this year by Radio Free Asia is making the rounds online today. The short documentary details the illegal production and sale of so-called "gutter oil," a cooking oil made from restaurant sewer refuse and rotten animal fat that is refined and then sold, mostly to small restaurants and street food vendors. It's part of a food safety crisis in China that The Atlantic covered last year.

The Making Of 'Gutter Oil' - YouTube

While "gutter oil" is technically illegal in China, the government hasn't been able to eradicate the practice. Last year, another report came out on an oil being made from slaughter house scraps.

Radio Free Asia's footage, which features a woman nonchalantly scooping "glop" out of a manhole in broad daylight, suggests that at least in some areas, there's little risk of getting caught.

The top video is part of Radio Free Asia's "Poisoned at the Source" series about food production issues in China, specifically Guangdong Province. If learning about gutter oil doesn't ruin your day, you can also watch mini documentaries about illegal slaughter tents that spring up overnight and disappear before the sun rises, agricultural fields fertilized with human garbage ("including used batters and toxic waste"), and scam artists who sell fake soy milk.

This Exposť of China's 'Gutter Oil' Black Market Will Churn Your Stomach - Mike Riggs - The Atlantic Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 02:03 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,606,089 times
It was a serious problem a few years ago, but so much now after a bunch of campaigns.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:00 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
it is pretty disgusting and one of the main reasons many people want to immigrate. Other reason is pollution.
no matter how rich one is, he still has to consume food and breath air like everyone else. This kind of practice deserves capital punishment.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:49 AM

1,011 posts, read 628,757 times
Admittedly, that is a problem in CHina. A lot of media coverage on this. But to me, they are basically used in very low end restaurents. If you dine on a licensed restaurant and avoid buying cheap street food, you do not have this problem.
A lot of negative publicity these days on China.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:11 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,357,013 times
It's not anywhere near as pervasive a problem as it's made out to be. Even most street vendors have the sense not to serve that crap to people... so you save three yijao on a plate of five kuai noodles, you also made your customer violently ill so they'll never come back.

I haven't had food poisoning once in my time here, and I'm a vegetarian.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:38 PM

I read an article that stated its almost impossible to check. There are estimates that suggest 30-40% of oil in China is gutter oil and there is very little one can do to check it. It stated it has seeped into low end as well high end establishments.

I will look up the article.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:45 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I read an article that stated its almost impossible to check. There are estimates that suggest 30-40% of oil in China is gutter oil and there is very little one can do to check it. It stated it has seeped into low end as well high end establishments.

I will look up the article.
oh, you "read an article"... maybe before making sure it is indeed true, you should hestate about spreading the news in advance? Or any negative news on China is good news? Since it is bad on China, it must be true?

China has many problems, but so many people jumping to accuse it of everything doesn't really help. I feel that too many anti-China folks due to years of brainwashing by their highly biased media just love to believe and spread anything negative related to China and dismiss as much as they can anything positive.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
oh, you "read an article"... maybe before making sure it is indeed true, you should hestate about spreading the news in advance? Or any negative news on China is good news? Since it is bad on China, it must be true?

China has many problems, but so many people jumping to accuse it of everything doesn't really help. I feel that too many anti-China folks due to years of brainwashing by their highly biased media just love to believe and spread anything negative related to China and dismiss as much as they can anything positive.

Why are you so uptight? The article I posted was about gutter oil. So now you don't believe the news? LOL. Do you know the person who exposed this story was found stabbed to death? You can just as easily look up any article regarding this, unless you're in China haha. As for any anti-China slant, forget media. Just look at present day issues. Who is acting like a bully on various border issues using 1000 yr old maps? Who rakes up atrocities that occurred decades ago? Who takes over a country based on historical claims?

Good or bad just accept and improve ....damn you definitely sound like a PLA cyber warrior determined to control any public perceptions of China. Good luck on fighting the public.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_12805065.htm

Gutter oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article claims 10%

Gutter Oil is a big part of Chinese food cooking | The World of Chinese

When I find the article I read, I'll post it. Till then it will have to do.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:15 PM

Here is a link explaining it was a Chinese journalist who exposed this, not a foreign journo! I wonder who would want him dead?

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/201...ype=blogs&_r=0

If you read the article, note this

Many experts have claimed that the country’s current standard, which has nine test indicators, including acid value and pesticide residue, could easily allow illegal oil to slip through. Police in Ninghai county, Zhejiang province, recently sent 10 samples of gutter oil they had confiscated in raids for tests, but by current standards only two samples were found to be of poor quality.

So those percentages can seem pretty damn accurate!

Old 05-07-2014, 06:18 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
I've seen some pretty unhygenic things in China, but I didn't get sick from eating the food there (then again I've never got sick eating food overseas, so maybe it's just me?). I think one should be wary about some places, if they look dodgy, and stick to places that look reputable and clean. BTW in the Philippines there are restaurants that serve left-overs (that's right) to very poor people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or