Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:15 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
My company has its Asia headquarters in Singapore and I was tempted to apply for a transfer after reading stuff about it here.
Hmmm... I think a Singapore position at my company pays less than the same position in New York though.
And the benefits suck since there are no unions for my field in SG.
... While writing this I changed my mind. I will just go there on vaycay. I loved the aquarium last time I visited.
I am glad and happy if people changed their minds about coming to work in Singapore after realising how bad the anti foreigner sentiment are...

Old 05-07-2014, 09:16 PM

More Employment Agencies to recruit more FTs for S

Old 05-07-2014, 09:17 PM

PM Lee: We can't loosen the foreign worker limits anymore | The Real Singapore

Hope our government is serious about letting less foreigners into our country !!!

Old 05-07-2014, 09:21 PM

Article from channelnewsasia

SINGAPORE: The government will help small and medium enterprises maximise their local and foreign workers' contributions, amid the ongoing manpower crunch.

This was Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's assurance to firms at the Malay-Muslim Business Conference, organised by the Singapore Malay Chamber of Commerce and Industry, held on Wednesday.

He said the government cannot ease up on the limits it has imposed on foreign worker inflows to Singapore and urged firms to tap government schemes for help.

Mr Lee added that the number of foreign workers in the country is still growing, though not as fast as before. More of these workers are being allowed in, but within limits.

He noted that small businesses are very worried about manpower and that many of them want more foreign workers. Those unable to find workers have had to turn away business.

Mr Lee's advice to firms was to offer higher wages and exciting jobs as the best way to attract good people, which is only possible if companies raise productivity and climb up the value chain.

He said: "We have the programmes to help you to attract talent, but the best way to attract good people and keep them, is to offer them exciting jobs and higher wages. And that's only possible if the companies raise their productivity and go up the value chain. And here too, the government is doing our utmost."

Mr Lee noted that one constraint to raising productivity is company size. Some firms only have two or three workers, making it hard to justify investments in automation.

Therefore, Mr Lee said the government is providing grants for firms to join forces and raise productivity, through collaborative projects.

Under a Partnerships for Capability Transformation programme, small firms can work with larger ones to learn from their experience, and upgrade capabilities.

If smaller players can raise productivity and hire better workers, Mr Lee said they will be in a better position to venture overseas.

He cited Malaysia's Iskandar region as a place of opportunity, with lower costs, greater land supply, and in close proximity to Singapore.

"Singapore is just too small a market to support any business activities within the domestic market itself. If you have bigger ambitions..., bigger dreams of building a global business, you have to venture overseas," said Aidil Zulkifli, chief executive of Plutus Software.

"We have no choice,” said Zahidi Abdul Rahman, president of the Singapore Malay Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

“We have to venture abroad. We have to look for opportunities in other countries. But more important than just keeping our cost down is the opportunity to be in a market that is almost a hundred times bigger than Singapore."

Mr Lee said competition, coming from all over the world, is intense for Singapore.

Technological change is transforming businesses and industries so companies must be efficient and well-run in order to succeed, he said.

Mr Lee also said thriving Malay-Muslim businesses reflect the progress made by the community. He expressed confidence that with opportunities in Asia, and a base in Singapore, many more successful enterprises would follow.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:57 PM

177 posts, read 268,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I am glad and happy if people changed their minds about coming to work in Singapore after realising how bad the anti foreigner sentiment are...
Do they hate somebody who works for an American company?
I talk to our Singapore office frequently, they never really mentioned this.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
On Foreigners Xenophobia and The Straits Times | The Real Singapore

‘Unacceptable nearly 40% of population is made up of foreigners’ | The Real Singapore

this is the real public sentiment in singapore !!!

Face it.. I hope the outside world slowly grows aware of the hostility towards foreigners working in singapore.

From what i read on forum.singaporeexpats.com page.. I think it is

Old 05-07-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I wont hate a Singaporean who works in an American company in Singapore.. But i wont like the causcasians here who take away our white collar jobs.

The people in Singapore office wont tell you cos they keep a professional relationship, and you are not a foreigner working in SIngapore currently.. But the truth is there... Ask Mr Postman, ... The other Singapore representative or the pinoy maids.. But i am still the born, bred, studied, working and living in Singapore Singaporean here... Who else better than me to talk about Singaporean sentiments ? Maybe Lepillow

Old 05-07-2014, 10:13 PM

Singapore Expats Forum View topic - Help and advice on moving to Singapore - how to find a job!

read this thread carefully as you will notice how an expat here adviced the OP to try to go Hong Kong instead of Singapore to face the blantant xenophobia...

Old 05-07-2014, 10:19 PM

177 posts, read 268,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I wont hate a Singaporean who works in an American company in Singapore.. But i wont like the causcasians here who take away our white collar jobs.

The people in Singapore office wont tell you cos they keep a professional relationship, and you are not a foreigner working in SIngapore currently.. But the truth is there... Ask Mr Postman, ... The other Singapore representative or the pinoy maids.. But i am still the born, bred, studied, working and living in Singapore Singaporean here... Who else better than me to talk about Singaporean sentiments ? Maybe Lepillow
Well... in our case we created white collar jobs for Singapore since my company is American.
Our Asia office was previously located in Hong Kong, moved there since it made more sense financially.
It's weird that Singaporeans hate Caucasians for "taking away" their jobs when a whole bunch is created by companies such as mine.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:43 PM

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Reply with quote PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:48 am Post subject:
JR8, sure you meant "employer applies for visa" Wink

If you haven't heard yet, the banking sector is shrinking its back offices in Singapore, as it has become much harder for them to hire non-locals. Marketing is a pretty popular skill in SG, so I don't think it will be easy.

The best thing you can do is apply directly with banks, and keep your eyes peeled for financial sector opportunities on LinkedIn. Also approach your potential hiring managers directly on LinkedIn, to see if there's an opportunity. If your skills are in demand, they may consider hiring from abroad.

Otherwise, why not try Hong Kong as well? It is somewhat similar to Singapore, without the blatant xenophobia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia