U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 10:03 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,351,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
yeah, that was pretty genius. A girl made all the way to the top of a skyscraper, managed to find the dirty water tank, somehow opened its heavy cover, jumped into the water to drown herself to death what an elaborate way to suicide.
She was schizophrenic, not on her medication, and staying alone in a roach motel in a crappy part of DTLA. some of you guys seem to think that the LAPD didn't care to investigate because she was a Chinese girl, which just shows an inferiority complex. There were two Chinese students at USC shot in a botched robbery around the same time and they caught the shooters in short form. There was an outcry of people saying they were targeted because they were Chinese... they were targeted because they had a BMW and were in the wrong 'hood. Persecution complexes are pathetic. Chinese in America are one of the most prosperous groups and prportionately over-represented in higher education and high paying jobs, which you all are happy to parade around when it suits your egos. The LAPD sucks, but what would they have to gain from alienating millions of Socal's most productive and generally law-abiding populaces and letting a killer roam free in the process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 10:16 PM

183 posts, read 210,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Chinese in America are one of the most prosperous groups and prportionately over-represented in higher education and high paying jobs, which you all are happy to parade around when it suits your egos.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:14 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,601,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
She was schizophrenic, not on her medication, and staying alone in a roach motel in a crappy part of DTLA. some of you guys seem to think that the LAPD didn't care to investigate because she was a Chinese girl, which just shows an inferiority complex. There were two Chinese students at USC shot in a botched robbery around the same time and they caught the shooters in short form. There was an outcry of people saying they were targeted because they were Chinese... they were targeted because they had a BMW and were in the wrong 'hood. Persecution complexes are pathetic. Chinese in America are one of the most prosperous groups and prportionately over-represented in higher education and high paying jobs, which you all are happy to parade around when it suits your egos. The LAPD sucks, but what would they have to gain from alienating millions of Socal's most productive and generally law-abiding populaces and letting a killer roam free in the process?
I mentioned that mainly because I am more familiar with the stories related to Chinese, since they circulate in Chinese community.

In addition, Asian Americans may have a higher income but much lower political power than whites, blacks, and Latinos. So often times they feel they do not have the strength to protect themselves when something happens.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:49 AM

15 posts, read 15,136 times
Japan, South Korea and Taiwan have visa-free policies for tourists from developed countries. HK and Singapore have visa-free policies for tourists and businessmen from developed and many developing countries, much stricter visa policy for Mainland Chinese. Mainland China has visa-free policies for citizens of a few countries only. I don't think Mainland China can be more attractive than other countries in Asia with its visa fee and visa required for most foreigners, lower use of English, dirty enviroment, rule people and greed for a lot of money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I don't think Disneyland will make a very big impact on foreign visitors. Target market probably is more mainland Chinese visitors. Been to Shanghai many times, and I don't have an urge to go back to visit just because of a new Disneyland. I have also visited all the Disneylands (L.A., Orlando, Paris, Tokyo, HK). I would rather go to Tokyo if in Asia. HK is my least favorite as the pushing and shoving is worst there among the Disney parks. Having visited Suzhou and Hangzhou, both are nice, but they're far from "heaven on earth". Just trying to take a taxi, a bus or a train is exasperating. While Tokyo is as crowded, people almost never cut in line and will at least pause and also help you to take the best photos there.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPEIJSJD View Post
I don't think Mainland China can be more attractive than other countries in Asia with its visa fee and visa required for most foreigners, lower use of English, dirty enviroment, rule people and greed for a lot of money.
But mainland China still has more international tourists than any other Asian country, only behind the US and France.

World Tourism rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-08-2014, 01:19 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,412,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
But mainland China still has more international tourists than any other Asian country, only behind the US and France.

I think that list also includes Hong Kongers passing the border by land on a daily basis.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:21 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,412,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Oh yeah that would explain it.

But Taipei seems a bit odd. Maybe it includes business trips, stopovers...
No only those that entered Taiwan got counted.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I think that list also includes Hong Kongers passing the border by land on a daily basis.
OK. Then how do you explain China made $50 billion in 2012, only behind US, Spain and France?

Old 05-08-2014, 01:53 AM

1,011 posts, read 628,037 times
Remember a month ago or so, Paris had a very serious pollution in the air so all the public transportation was made free.

Of course, China has big pollution problem today. I did not remember 5 years ago when I was living in Shanghai, there was too much a problem in pollution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes the day's of London's 'pea soupers' are long over, but like any large city there is pollution in the air even if you can't see it. And yes, as a tourist destination London just has way more to see and do than Shanghai.

Seoul the most disappointing? Why is that?

Old 05-08-2014, 01:59 AM

1,011 posts, read 628,037 times
It is not fair to compare Mainland china to the rest of Asian countries. Mainland China is huge. Even its provinces are larger than many countries in Asia. Also it has the most intriguing historical attractions in Asia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or