U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 02:02 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,412,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
OK. Then how do you explain China made $50 billion in 2012, only behind US, Spain and France?
Hong Kongers are not poor in general, just think how many cross the border in the weekends for cheaper entertainment options (pro's on the mainland are not as expensive as in HK).
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 02:04 AM

1,011 posts, read 628,037 times
In fact it is the opposite. Many Mainlanders froM Shenzhen cross border everyday to buy cheap stuff in HK. Shopping is cheaper in HK than Shenzhen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Hong Kongers are not poor in general, just think how many cross the border in the weekends for cheaper entertainment options (pro's on the mainland are not as expensive as in HK).

Old 05-08-2014, 02:05 AM

1,011 posts, read 628,037 times
In addition, a lot of canadians also cross the border to buy things in US. A lot of Germans will cross border to buy thing s in france.

What is your logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

Old 05-08-2014, 02:19 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
OK. Then how do you explain China made $50 billion in 2012, only behind US, Spain and France?

World Tourism rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
China is a huge country with lots of things to see. It should be #1 if not for those problems. I know a couple who has been to China maybe 20x but there are still some major tourist sights that they have not been to. I myself have visited China about 6 times and I tolerate the inconveniences of traveling there because in terms of history and natural scenes, it ranks at the top or near the top. But for Disneyland? Not now or next year. I would rather go elsewhere for Disneyland rather than pack milk for my kids due to food safety issues in China. There are other larger and better Disneylands outside of China, but you cannot find another Great Wall or another terra cotta warrior tomb in other countries.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:45 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,412,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
In addition, a lot of canadians also cross the border to buy things in US. A lot of Germans will cross border to buy thing s in france.

What is your logic.
Hong Kongers cross the Chinese border more than Canadians cross the American border.
Germans crossing the border in France are not counted

Old 05-08-2014, 04:25 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,235,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPEIJSJD View Post
Japan, South Korea and Taiwan have visa-free policies for tourists from developed countries. HK and Singapore have visa-free policies for tourists and businessmen from developed and many developing countries, much stricter visa policy for Mainland Chinese. Mainland China has visa-free policies for citizens of a few countries only. I don't think Mainland China can be more attractive than other countries in Asia with its visa fee and visa required for most foreigners, lower use of English, dirty enviroment, rule people and greed for a lot of money.
Still China is rightly a major tourist destination for it's incredibly diverse and amazing scenery, culture, history.etc.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Remember a month ago or so, Paris had a very serious pollution in the air so all the public transportation was made free.

Of course, China has big pollution problem today. I did not remember 5 years ago when I was living in Shanghai, there was too much a problem in pollution.
In 2006 in China the pollution was awful. I don't imagine it could be much worse now...

Old 05-08-2014, 07:45 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
China is a huge country with lots of things to see. It should be #1 if not for those problems. I know a couple who has been to China maybe 20x but there are still some major tourist sights that they have not been to. I myself have visited China about 6 times and I tolerate the inconveniences of traveling there because in terms of history and natural scenes, it ranks at the top or near the top. But for Disneyland? Not now or next year. I would rather go elsewhere for Disneyland rather than pack milk for my kids due to food safety issues in China. There are other larger and better Disneylands outside of China, but you cannot find another Great Wall or another terra cotta warrior tomb in other countries.
Agree.

Shanghai disneyland is more catering to the mainland chinese. Not foreigners.

China is as big as the US with very diversifed geographic features as well as at least a dozen ancient cities to see. I am not surprised that after 20x there is still much unseen. For example, much of Yunnan province remain largely unknown to outsiders. It is not a big province but is the most bio-diversed and has half of China's birds and mammals.

I myself hestitate to travel in China, especially inland provinces. The roads are getting much better but there is a lack of infrastructure such as clean washroom etc in the non-urban area. I really hate dirty and smelly public washrooms.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:52 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPEIJSJD View Post
Japan, South Korea and Taiwan have visa-free policies for tourists from developed countries. HK and Singapore have visa-free policies for tourists and businessmen from developed and many developing countries, much stricter visa policy for Mainland Chinese. Mainland China has visa-free policies for citizens of a few countries only. I don't think Mainland China can be more attractive than other countries in Asia with its visa fee and visa required for most foreigners, lower use of English, dirty enviroment, rule people and greed for a lot of money.
HK and Singapore? yes, they are visa free but what to see? They are two highly urbanised cities, highly westernized and English is spoken everywhere, and little history. You might as well stay where you are and save the ticket.

Taiwan and Korea are bigger, but in terms of tourist resources, they are like one small Chinese province. S Korea for example is 100kM sq, similar to Jiangsu, one of China's smallest province.

Japan is a lot more interesting. Nice cities and a lot of nature to see as well. But still to compare Japan to China is like to compare the UK to the US. Not the same scale.

Low use of English? humm, you probably think most Koreans and Japanese speak fluent English. Good luck with that. On second thought, if English is that important to you, you might stick with Singapore and Hong Kong. I am sure you will feel right at home.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
HK and Singapore? yes, they are visa free but what to see? They are two highly urbanised cities, highly westernized and English is spoken everywhere, and little history. You might as well stay where you are and save the ticket.

Taiwan and Korea are bigger, but in terms of tourist resources, they are like one small Chinese province. S Korea for example is 100kM sq, similar to Jiangsu, one of China's smallest province.

Japan is a lot more interesting. Nice cities and a lot of nature to see as well. But still to compare Japan to China is like to compare the UK to the US. Not the same scale.

Low use of English? humm, you probably think most Koreans and Japanese speak fluent English. Good luck with that. On second thought, if English is that important to you, you might stick with Singapore and Hong Kong. I am sure you will feel right at home.
English is a lot better in Singapore than HK or pretty much anywhere in Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or