U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which Chinese cuisine is your favorite
Cantonese 25 50.00%
Sichuan 16 32.00%
Hunan 7 14.00%
Huaiyang 3 6.00%
Fujian 0 0%
Others 5 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-07-2014, 07:43 AM
 
1,011 posts, read 629,036 times
Reputation: 283

Advertisements

Chinese food has great variety. Officially there are 8 regional cuisines. The most famous ones are Sichuan, Cantonese, Huaiyang (Yangzi River region), Hu Nan, Fujian, Shandong, etc. Which one do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2014, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times
Reputation: 2833
Sichuan hands down, love that spice! Mabo tofu, dan dan noodles, kung pao chicken, hot pot, I'm even open to trying stuff like gizzards and organs if it's spiced with a lot of chillis and Sichuan peppercorns! Had a most delicious fish dish in Chongqing.

Unfortunately Fujianese cuisine seems kind of bland...Cantonese has it's moments, but I prefer Sichuan/Szechuan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2014, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,359,093 times
Reputation: 11309
Xinjiang cuisine r0x0r my s0x0r two to six days a week. God damn do I love that stuff.

After that, toss up between Hunanese and Sichuan. I like it spicy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2014, 07:55 AM
 
1,011 posts, read 629,036 times
Reputation: 283
In overseas Chinese community, I know that Cantonese is the most popular. You may find the Dim Sum everywhere. In Mainland China, Sichuan is most popular and Hu Nan also becomes increasingly popular, as young generations prefer spicy food a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2014, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
In overseas Chinese community, I know that Cantonese is the most popular. You may find the Dim Sum everywhere. In Mainland China, Sichuan is most popular and Hu Nan also becomes increasingly popular, as young generations prefer spicy food a lot.
In Melbourne with the influx of folks from the PRC (many students) I'm seeing tons of Sichuan restaurants and dumpling houses pop up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2014, 07:58 AM
 
1,011 posts, read 629,036 times
Reputation: 283
Sichuan and Hunan cuisines are also occupying Shanghai and Beijing. In shanghai, it is even difficult to find good Shanghainese restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
In Melbourne with the influx of folks from the PRC (many students) I'm seeing tons of Sichuan restaurants and dumpling houses pop up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2014, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Sichuan and Hunan cuisines are also occupying Shanghai and Beijing. In shanghai, it is even difficult to find good Shanghainese restaurants.
Really, didn't know Sichuan was so dominant in China. I guess they have a taste for the hot?

Moderator cut: Off topic

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-08-2014 at 07:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2014, 01:41 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, California
1,953 posts, read 5,207,254 times
Reputation: 2294
are we talking about women or food?

I would definitely choose Cantonese cuisine, I dont like spicey hot food

I prefer to have the freshest ingredients and natural flavors and marination

if the foods pure spicey & hot it masks the fresh food flavor , I dont want to taste hot I want to taste the food

thats like buying a hot dog and putting everything on it and you cant taste the hotdog because the excessive condiments over power what your originally eating

I dont even put barbecue sauce on my meat, I prefer the marinated & charred flavor with natural juices better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2014, 02:20 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,265,341 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
are we talking about women or food?

I would definitely choose Cantonese cuisine, I dont like spicey hot food

I prefer to have the freshest ingredients and natural flavors and marination

if the foods pure spicey & hot it masks the fresh food flavor , I dont want to taste hot I want to taste the food

thats like buying a hot dog and putting everything on it and you cant taste the hotdog because the excessive condiments over power what your originally eating

I dont even put barbecue sauce on my meat, I prefer the marinated & charred flavor with natural juices better
Chinese food is a lot more than just Cantonese food vs. spicy food - westerner's knowledge seems to end here.

Only officially it has eight different cooking style. Cantonese and Sichuan are just two of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2014, 11:02 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,359,093 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Chinese food is a lot more than just Cantonese food vs. spicy food - westerner's knowledge seems to end here.
Whoa there, tiger... your own knowledge of Chinese cuisine seems to be a bit lacking as well.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/34392817-post3.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/34454926-post38.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/34455169-post39.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/34459086-post43.html

It's not like the Chinese select a gourmet regional restaurant to eat at every day or anything. The most common foods in China are simple, fast fare that's fairly pan-Chinese in influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top