U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 07:23 PM

376 posts, read 745,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishairwayflcustomer View Post
I live in Singapore, some Indonesian young women workers here date and have extramarital sex(husbands back in ID) with Singaporeans and foreigners(mostly Pakistani men). On Sundays when Indonesian women and others have holidays, these couple can be seen out everywhere and in love hotels of course. There are some Indoneisans in openly lesbian relations in Singapore as well.

Once they left Indonesia, they behave differently. And Indonesia is not as conservative as South Asia and the Middle East. Still, Indonesians marry very early and have families involved in chosing future spouses.
I think that you see it is the Indonesian woman who worked as a maid in Singapore, they generally come from the village and with low education,before they go into the country to work they in the training given especially how they work in employer homes and of course they have mastered the language. a few years later sent to countries like HK, Singapore,Taiwan, Middle East etc. maid in my home is ex- Taiwan maid , she is very smart Mandarin/English and smart cooking . she became a teacher Mandarin at my home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 12:17 AM

490 posts, read 195,784 times
Quote:
I live in Singapore, some Indonesian young women workers here date and have extramarital sex(husbands back in ID) with Singaporeans and foreigners(mostly Pakistani men). On Sundays when Indonesian women and others have holidays, these couple can be seen out everywhere and in love hotels of course. There are some Indoneisans in openly lesbian relations in Singapore as well.

Once they left Indonesia, they behave differently. And Indonesia is not as conservative as South Asia and the Middle East. Still, Indonesians marry very early and have families involved in chosing future spouses.
I strongly agree with your comments, even the Indonesian government today will stop sending women workers out of the country * including singapore. These women are usually free with what they do, this is done by female workers (domestic workers), not just seeing them dating people pakistan men even indian, bangladesh and nepalis men . but this is not only happening to Indonesian workers, even filipinas workers like that .. sometimes see them dating premises from south asian guy , even they often fight just because from south asian men , hihihihi...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtVbX0MsuUk

Old 09-04-2017, 01:50 AM

102 posts, read 48,925 times
Mostly in developing countries including large cities in China and India.

About 2% only in Hong Kong, Macau, Japan and Singapore.

In China, there are matchmaking tv shows where men and women of "common marriage age" introduce themselves and ask questions when they are interested in each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Historically, arranged marriages were common all over the world, from Japan to England, especially for rich/upper class families, but nowadays, with liberalization and more freedom for individuals, it is less common for families to make or influence this decision and now associated with more conservative parts of South Asia and West Asia (the Middle East) and Africa.

In which places in Asia are marriages still mainly arranged?

Old 09-05-2017, 11:43 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,089,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
I know an Indian girl from grad school who met her husband once before they got married.
And this girl came from an affluent family and was studying in the US.
Their family arranged the marriage within two weeks.
It blew my mind since she came across as very independent and strong-willed.
more like they bought their husbands. the higher the educational attainment/status of the groom. the more expensive the dowry the parents of the groom require.

so yes, "arrange" but you must put up the dowry

Old 09-05-2017, 04:52 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,978,569 times
In South Korea. The marriage process my coworkers explained to me seemed pretty arranged. One of my Korean friends in the US also had her parents set her up on marriage dates. I think mostly people who are of higher classes or have money do this, but I'm not sure.

Some sunbaes at work in SK explained the process:
1. You let your parents know (or they decide) that you are ready to get married
2. They find a bunch of girls (or guys) with suitable backgrounds* and you begin to go on dates
3. If you both like one another, you get family permission
4. Once you get permission, you get your fortunes told to see if you match
You get married. The end.

Again it seems like more high-class or traditional families bother with this matchmaking thing. Some of my Korean acquaintances in the USA DID meet independently and date like many of us did. Based on what is on TV now, lots of Koreans also seem to meet marriage partners through friends.

*with suitable backgrounds may apparently mean a lot of things depending on your family. It may mean parents' occupation, wealth, reputation, your family line (to prevent incestuous pairings..they have weird rules for this, and I don't understand all of them), your siblings' background etc.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:09 PM

6,731 posts, read 6,626,785 times
In China, most young people do not go to clubs/bars or anything like that. If they do not find a spouse in college or work place, their chances are pretty limited.
So family members and friends will introduce potential candidates to them. I do think there is anything wrong with that. In most cases, parents will not force a marriage on their children that way.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:06 PM

83 posts, read 46,533 times
Quote:

your post makes indonesian girl look low, it is not indo girl that we know (maid, cafe worker ), even rarely do indonesian girl like in your post with man in country person, especially with guy from south asia, indonesian girl have tastefully in choosing couples man , for example our parents often remind us as their daughter to choose good man, good job, high education, of good family, religion and etc.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:25 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,295,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In China, most young people do not go to clubs/bars or anything like that. If they do not find a spouse in college or work place, their chances are pretty limited.
So family members and friends will introduce potential candidates to them. I do think there is anything wrong with that. In most cases, parents will not force a marriage on their children that way.
It is probably better than meeting some random dude/chick in a bar. I doubt that kind of marriage can really last long.

In China, there is little "Dating culture". When a guy and a girl see each other often, that's for the purpose of marriage, not "having some fun and see how it goes".

Old 10-22-2017, 02:32 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,295,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSrights View Post
Mostly in developing countries including large cities in China and India.

About 2% only in Hong Kong, Macau, Japan and Singapore.

In China, there are matchmaking tv shows where men and women of "common marriage age" introduce themselves and ask questions when they are interested in each other.
You seem to know every country, especially the divide between developed and developing countries??

America borrowed that matchmaking show as a matter of fact. And plenty of people in developed countries have trouble finding a date in real life. The whole on-line dating thing starts with western countries. Only last night my American friend said his sister married someone she knew from an online matchmaking website.

It is laughable than you think the dating culture is vastly different between China and HK, Macau and Singapore. No matter how rich they are, they are still mostly Chinese and belong to the same reserved Asian culture. I am not sure about Japan but would think it is more similar to China than to the US.

Old 12-02-2017, 01:52 AM

102 posts, read 48,925 times
Japan has a falling marriage rate as more young people don't like to hang out with the opposite sex. They will sure have a demographic crisis.

Mainland Chinese are still very traditional and actively look for potential spouses. China is not going to have such crisis at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or