U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:08 PM

613 posts, read 891,933 times

Advertisements

Historically, arranged marriages were common all over the world, from Japan to England, especially for rich/upper class families, but nowadays, with liberalization and more freedom for individuals, it is less common for families to make or influence this decision and now associated with more conservative parts of South Asia and West Asia (the Middle East) and Africa.

In which places in Asia are marriages still mainly arranged?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:16 PM

183 posts, read 209,992 times
I know an Indian girl from grad school who met her husband once before they got married.
And this girl came from an affluent family and was studying in the US.
Their family arranged the marriage within two weeks.
It blew my mind since she came across as very independent and strong-willed.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:29 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
I would assume the sub-continent and more traditional parts of the Middle East, and among tribal societies further east. Keep in mind, that a lot of arranged marriages, especially in India, are actually at the behest of the suitors, and the parents/family act sort of like matchmakers/arrangements. So not all are forced.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:02 AM

32,055 posts, read 32,950,797 times
I know a young Pakistani girl who was brought in the USA and was required to marry a man that her parents choose from Pakistan. Luckily for her it all worked out and the young couple get along and live in the USA.

Also in Israel among the Ultra-Orthodox (Hassidic) population, a matchmaker arranges matches for young people.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:16 AM

8 posts, read 8,026 times
I currently live in Sri Lanka, Colombo, and I’ve heard that arrange marriage is very common here. But now Sri Lanka is not that in to traditions when it comes to marriage. However, yes Sri Lanka and India were known to have arranged marriages more often than not. Also I think in Pakistan they do that too.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:21 AM

12,572 posts, read 15,036,884 times
In Indian culture, but it could in other cultures also. One of my Indian colleagues went back to Mumbai from the US, to meet a girl that his parents had wanted him to meet. They hit it off and he brought her over to get married and to live in the US.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:33 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickriku View Post
I currently live in Sri Lanka, Colombo, and Iíve heard that arrange marriage is very common here. But now Sri Lanka is not that in to traditions when it comes to marriage. However, yes Sri Lanka and India were known to have arranged marriages more often than not. Also I think in Pakistan they do that too.
I've been to Sri Lanka, and was under the impression that while still traditional things were a bit more modern/liberal compared to most of India. Maybe being mostly Buddhist instead of Hindu has something to do with it.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:36 PM

18 posts, read 19,435 times
Arranged marriages have been part of the Indian culture since the fourth century. Many consider the practice a central fabric of Indian society, reinforcing the social, economic, geographic, and the historic significance of India (Stein). Prakasa states that arranged marriages serveTThree functions in the Indian community: (1) helps maintain the social satisfaction system in the society; (2) gives parents control, over family members; (3) enhances the chances to preserve and continue the ancestral lineage;

Old 05-26-2014, 10:51 PM

6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
A positive result is, almost every member of the society can find a spouse who matches his/her status.

In western society, a minority of men and women are winners of the "dating game". Family has become extremely unstable afterwards.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:15 PM

93 posts, read 79,533 times
In muslim countries and in Indonesia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or