U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 01:38 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,132,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
mandopo have Jay Chou so wont fall anytime soon, his selling power in Singapore beats even western stars ..
Are you talking about Jay Chou the Taiwanese?
If so,a major EW here,I absolutely LOATHE his music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 07:39 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,278,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
It seems that the mainland market has been attracting more and more entertainment talents from the Chinese speaking communities all over the world. In the recent I am the singer show, there was the phenominal success by Deng Ziqi, a young singer from HK, Xi La, a girl from Malaysia, who does not really speak Chinese. And many Taiwan singers are just making their living in the Mainland. You can see them on Mainland shows every day, like Tao zhe, zhang yu, etc.
of course.
The market in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore is tiny. Without exploring the Chinese market there is no much future for those celebrities.

We all know that it doesn't matter if one speaks perferct English and received all western education. As long as he or she has an Asian face, there is no future in America. that's why even American Chinese such as coco Lee and Leehom Wang have to prosper in the China market. They will never be as famous in America and the primary reason is they have an Asian face.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:38 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,266,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
of course.
The market in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore is tiny. Without exploring the Chinese market there is no much future for those celebrities.

We all know that it doesn't matter if one speaks perferct English and received all western education. As long as he or she has an Asian face, there is no future in America. that's why even American Chinese such as coco Lee and Leehom Wang have to prosper in the China market. They will never be as famous in America and the primary reason is they have an Asian face.
In terms of what, the entertainment industry? I think things are changing. There are obvious ones like Lucy Liu, John Cho had a few big roles, Ken Jeong, Daniel Dae-Kim (albeit they are all Korean). Bruce Lee got pretty big in the US after Enter the Dragon (and his unfortunate death) and Jackie Chan did well in Hollywood.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
In terms of what, the entertainment industry? I think things are changing. There are obvious ones like Lucy Liu, John Cho had a few big roles, Ken Jeong, Daniel Dae-Kim (albeit they are all Korean). Bruce Lee got pretty big in the US after Enter the Dragon (and his unfortunate death) and Jackie Chan did well in Hollywood.
Lucy liu is probably the most successful Chinese American actress.

I won't count Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. They are only in those heavily Chinese themed kungfu movies, a rather niche market, not regular mainstream movies.

Singers? None.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:23 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,266,372 times
Quote:
Lucy liu is probably the most successful Chinese American actress.

I won't count Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. They are only in those heavily Chinese themed kungfu movies, a rather niche market, not regular mainstream movies.

Singers? None.
Well no hugely famous ones, but I see no reason why an Asian American can become a huge pop star if you already have huge movie stars, sports stars (Michael Chang, Michelle Kwan).etc.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:43 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,732,030 times
China to More Than Double Entertainment Industry - WSJ.com

Old 05-12-2014, 10:45 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,615,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Well, yes, but China gov't does restrict the number of foreign movies into the country. That might help inflate the China movie numbers.
There are certainly restrictions, but the most popular movies have been imported. So when we talk about top ranking movies that effect can be ignored.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:00 AM

183 posts, read 210,388 times
Wasn't K-drama "My love from the star" very popular in China? I think I read that anything that Jun Ji-hyun or Kim Soo-hyun wore sold out instantly in China and it didn't even air on tv.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well no hugely famous ones, but I see no reason why an Asian American can become a huge pop star if you already have huge movie stars, sports stars (Michael Chang, Michelle Kwan).etc.
Are you kidding.
We don't live in a world where race creases to matter. Do you think Lady gaga will get this much attention if she were Asian?

In the US, when politicians talk about race, minority, it usually refers to hispanics and blacks as if Asians don't matter whatsoever.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:05 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,615,943 times
Quote:
Are you kidding.
We don't live in a world where race creases to matter. Do you think Lady gaga will get this much attention if she were Asian?

In the US, when politicians talk about race, minority, it usually refers to hispanics and blacks as if Asians don't matter whatsoever.
New York Times reported a study showing American professors prefer white males when recruiting PhD students.
It is true for all majors and all universities.

Also, the group that is discriminated the most is Chinese students. Only Chinese professors do not discriminate Chinese students. It is sad but true.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/11/op...-too.html?_r=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or