U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 10:54 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,349,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
oops are we out of topic again ?? CHINESE megathread does showbiz count? ha ha
Better here than a thread about food or transportation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 11:18 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,271,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Are you talking about Jay Chou the Taiwanese?
If so,a major EW here,I absolutely LOATHE his music.
Yes the Taiwanese King of Mandopop... Well doesnt matter if you hate him.. He still makes tonnes of $$$

Old 05-12-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Most people in China are not fluent in English, so they will always prefer Chinese products.
Top Chinese TV series got much higher rates than American ones. Although Hollywood movies generally beat Chinese movies, the ones with the highest sales records are 50% domestic (but Avatar set the top 1 record).
The part about Chinese products is true insofar as the labeling and familiarity. Under many circumstances, people prefer to buy foreign products because of perceived higher quality. Japanese companies like Ajisen, Nissin, Kikkoman, American brands like McCormick and Shmick, Del Monte, Heinz, etc all sell products here no problem because they label them in Chinese and some domestic products advertise their use of imported wheats, soy, even rice.

I think its a similar situation to Americans' perceptions of foreign cars being superior. Although nowadays that may not be the case, there were too many high-profile scandals that shook peoples' perceptions of quality and safety while the foreign brands thrived on theirs. Most people across the globe would prefer to buy domestic products and support their nation's economy so long as they get their money's worth in the process.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:48 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,271,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Yes the Taiwanese King of Mandopop... Well doesnt matter if you hate him.. He still makes tonnes of $$$
I believe Jay Chou sells out many of his concert shows in many various cities in China.. Big and small cities..

Old 05-13-2014, 12:49 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
The part about Chinese products is true insofar as the labeling and familiarity. Under many circumstances, people prefer to buy foreign products because of perceived higher quality. Japanese companies like Ajisen, Nissin, Kikkoman, American brands like McCormick and Shmick, Del Monte, Heinz, etc all sell products here no problem because they label them in Chinese and some domestic products advertise their use of imported wheats, soy, even rice.

I think its a similar situation to Americans' perceptions of foreign cars being superior. Although nowadays that may not be the case, there were too many high-profile scandals that shook peoples' perceptions of quality and safety while the foreign brands thrived on theirs. Most people across the globe would prefer to buy domestic products and support their nation's economy so long as they get their money's worth in the process.
I was talking about entertainment products...
Older people in China are not really interested in western movies or tv programs at all. Young generation is very different.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:17 AM

Ah, ok. If that's the case then sure. People tend to like watching things that are culturally familiar to them. A movie like Transformers won't appeal to an older Chinese fellow in Harbin as much as what he's familiar with but for younger people used to computer and video games, anime, etc the big special effects extravaganzas from the US are cooler and more impressive than the stuff their grandparents watch.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:25 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I was talking about entertainment products...
Older people in China are not really interested in western movies or tv programs at all. Young generation is very different.
Are the young people still interested in Chinese opera and traditional Chinese music?

I cannot stand traditional Chinese music. I didn't know those instruments can actually play modern music prior to the Twelve Girls Band. Not sure how popular they are now. Am not a big fan, but at least that type of music is tolerable for me.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:44 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Are the young people still interested in Chinese opera and traditional Chinese music?

I cannot stand traditional Chinese music. I didn't know those instruments can actually play modern music prior to the Twelve Girls Band. Not sure how popular they are now. Am not a big fan, but at least that type of music is tolerable for me.
Young people in China are the same as young people worldwide. Generally speaking they are not interested in classic music at all, not to mention traditional Chinese music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or