U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-08-2014, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,349,751 times
Reputation: 11309

Advertisements

I just figured I'd start this thread since so many other threads seem to be getting taken over by discussion on China; its current status and standing in the world, its projected directions, its social realities and its relations with its neighbors, trade partners, other superpowers, etc.

So who all here has actually been to Mainland China? When, and for how long? For those who are from here originally, how long since you've lived here? Where in China have you been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2014, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Reputation: 4555
Oh I can imagine what this thread will become.Propaganda all the way lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,349,751 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Oh I can imagine what this thread will become.Propaganda all the way lol.
Well, hopefully not I guess I'm an optimist, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Reputation: 4555
Actually I figured that this thread could be used as an experiment

China Arrests Rights Activists Ahead Of 25th Anniversary Of Tiananmen Square Crackdown

China Arrests Rights Activists Ahead Of 25th Anniversary Of Tiananmen Square Crackdown

China on Tuesday detained five rights activists, three lawyers and a rights group said, after they attended a weekend meeting that called for a probe into the suppression of pro-democracy protests in Tiananmen Square in 1989.

Among those held was Pu Zhiqiang, a prominent free-speech lawyer, who has represented many dissidents, including artist Ai Weiwei and an activist of the "New Citizens' Movement", a group that urges Chinese leaders to disclose their assets. He was detained on a charge of "causing a disturbance", two lawyers said.


Since this just happened like three days ago,I wonder how those think China has been making a "progress" in terms of "democratization" and "freedom of speech" feel about the news?


Also,about Hong Kong and Macau
Hong Kong news editor stabbed with cleaver over press freedom protests - Telegraph

Hong Kong news editor stabbed with cleaver over press freedom protests

Kevin Lau, former editor of the liberal Ming Pao newspaper, was hacked in broad daylight by two men who escaped on a motorbike in the Chai Wan district where the newspaper's headquarters is located, police said.
Lau, who was known for hard-hitting political investigations before being reassigned as chief editor in January, was confronted when he got out of his car.

Or let's talk about the "economy" since people think HK and Macau are "booming" because of China's tourists and money

Hong Kong and Macau?s return to China ? blessing or curse?

Hong Kong and Macau’s return to China – blessing or curse?

Locals in Hong Kong mainly see the negative impact of the return to China and the development of China’s economy. They are concerned about money laundering by rich mainlanders who buy up property and cause rising property prices. Newspaper articles about rude and ‘uncivilized’ mainlanders are among the most read in Hong Kong. Last year, 34 million Chinese tourists came to Hong Kong. Luxury brands catering to tourists open more and more stores in Hong Kong, driving up rents and forcing small shop owners to relocate or close their shops.

Minimum restrictions on the purchase of properties have led to increasing numbers of rich mainlanders buying luxurious flats in order to become Macau residents but without any intentions of living there. This has driven up housing prices in Macau. The gap between rich and poor has widened, leading to bitterness of those at the bottom of the heap. While Macau’s tourists are responsible for high gambling revenue, they also lead to logistic problems in the small city with around 580,000 inhabitants. Last year, 28 million people visited Macau, more than 60% of which were from the mainland.

So,how do these sound?(I admit that I almost puked when I saw there were 28 million people visited Macau when there are only 580000 inhabitants actually living there.How PLEASANT the lives over there must be!)


I'm sure the Chinese netcops here are gonna say "these things happen in Western countries as well",or "that's just one article,you're so biased you basic little Taiwanese loser".
Sure,find some reliable proofs to oppose to these and say that China guarantees great lives for its citizens,lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 10:38 AM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,271,044 times
Reputation: 416
Went Beijing for 4 days , Tianjin 1 day and chengde 1 day in jun 2013.

No idea when it will be, but next trip to china will be Suzhou , hangzhou and shanghai
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 11:06 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Actually I figured that this thread could be used as an experiment
I am sure this is not propoganda and really helps your credibility on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 11:17 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

So,how do these sound?(I admit that I almost puked when I saw there were 28 million people visited Macau when there are only 580000 inhabitants actually living there.How PLEASANT the lives over there must be!)

You are not making any sense. You are expressing your hatred toward the Chinese for the sake of it.

Countries around the world are eager to have more Chinese tourists, who spend money and help local economy and employment. The UK is simplifying the visa application to make it easier to the Chinese to come. Thailand focuses a lot on the Chinese market, many resorts providing services in mandarin. Examples can go on and on. I failed to how 28M Chinese visitors to Macau a nagative thing. I guess in your mind, if the 28M are Americans and European, it suddenly becomes a great thing?

Macau is a small city highly dependent on tourism. I am sure anyone with a reasonable mind would think more Chinese tourists is a good thing. Plus, the 28M were not in Macau on the same day, but over 365 days, and it is stupid to think it is 28M vs 58k, so the city is collapsing.

I guess you almost puked only because these 28M are Chinese, who you despise so much? Will you puke if Vancouver (pop: 600k) is visited by 28M Americans a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2014, 12:42 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Reputation: 4555
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am sure this is not propoganda and really helps your credibility on this forum.
Actually my experiment worked out very well.

I wanted to see what you guys(the Chinese users in these forums) would react to the terrible stuffs happening in China,and your reaction was pretty much what I expected.You didn't say a single word about the activists being arrested or news editor being attacked,but only focused on my personal opinion about Macau being over-crowded because of Chinese tourists.

And since you brought up that Vancouver is visited by 28 millions American tourists....
Macau's size is about 30 km square,while Vancouver...the size of the city is about 115 km square,and the size of the whole metro area is close to 3000 km square.

So which place would be more suffocating if 28 millions of tourists pouring in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2014, 01:40 AM
 
1,011 posts, read 627,651 times
Reputation: 283
I just cannot stand this guy anymore. He uses every chance to blame China. Even the number of its tourists. What did not you critisize the gambling company which built so many casinos for attracting the chinese tourists? Maybe your sugre daddy USA has a stake in those companies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Actually my experiment worked out very well.

I wanted to see what you guys(the Chinese users in these forums) would react to the terrible stuffs happening in China,and your reaction was pretty much what I expected.You didn't say a single word about the activists being arrested or news editor being attacked,but only focused on my personal opinion about Macau being over-crowded because of Chinese tourists.

And since you brought up that Vancouver is visited by 28 millions American tourists....
Macau's size is about 30 km square,while Vancouver...the size of the city is about 115 km square,and the size of the whole metro area is close to 3000 km square.

So which place would be more suffocating if 28 millions of tourists pouring in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2014, 05:33 AM
 
3,123 posts, read 2,700,820 times
Reputation: 1713
I have been to China severall times. Hong Kong maybe 5 times for a total of 30 days. Visit Shenzhen, and Chengdu briefly. Beijing around 30 days as well and Tianjin around a half year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
China Arrests Rights Activists Ahead Of 25th Anniversary Of Tiananmen Square Crackdown

China on Tuesday detained five rights activists, three lawyers and a rights group said, after they attended a weekend meeting that called for a probe into the suppression of pro-democracy protests in Tiananmen Square in 1989.
In every single country there is some things you cannot do, and in China it is not legal to campaign for democracy. That is obviously be the case when it is not a democracy today. The ones in power do not want to lose it.

China is not perfect and I am not sure if democracy would help ordinary Chinese people.


Quote:
Since this just happened like three days ago,I wonder how those think China has been making a "progress" in terms of "democratization" and "freedom of speech" feel about the news?
Making a progress does not mean it is good enough, or that things like this doesn't happen. Previously people didn't even dare to talk in public, because they were scared that someone would report them. Even wearing a dress could signal that you supported capitalism and you would get punished.

Not only are people not scared of talking in public at all. Now you can talk openly about democracy or any other issue against the government and don't get in much trouble. The ones who get in trouble are people who try to campaign for their issue.

Quote:
Locals in Hong Kong mainly see the negative impact of the return to China and the development of China’s economy. They are concerned about money laundering by rich mainlanders who buy up property and cause rising property prices. Newspaper articles about rude and ‘uncivilized’ mainlanders are among the most read in Hong Kong. Last year, 34 million Chinese tourists came to Hong Kong. Luxury brands catering to tourists open more and more stores in Hong Kong, driving up rents and forcing small shop owners to relocate or close their shops.
Those luxury brands are only on the main street. If you go off the main street and into the streets of Mong Kok then you won't see too many. Most of those shops are local. Also, I don't understand why you think tourists are a bad thing. Without tourists then Hong Kong would have a drastic reduction in exports. That would force Hong Kong to devalue their currency and everything imported becomes more expensive.

But it is true that Hong Kong has a problem with property prices, but as you admitted they have put on extra restrictions on foreigners to buy property. Also, even if Hong Kong remained part of UK, Chinese people would still be allowed to buy property in Hong Kong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top