Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:59 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

For anyone who knows a lot or has experience with the three Indian mega-cities.

How do they compare?

Which did you like least/ the most?

Which is best for visiting?

How is the culture different in each?

Which is most attractive? Do any stand out as having more slums/poverty than the others? I know that's pretty much India wide.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:38 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I've only been to Mumbai. But, I only had enough time to choose one and explore it. I chose Mumbai as it was the only one that had a shot at having a little nightlife and being a little bit cosmopolitan. (Granted most people don't go to India for that, but I just wanted to see India's New York City).

I quite liked it. I also wasn't harrassed much at all, relative to what I heard people were in New Delhi and places further north. I also wasn't ripped off by taxi meters, as I heard others often were elsewhere as well.

I've love to visit both Kolkata/Calcutta and New Delhi....but was quite content with Mumbai. I also got to see visit a Bollywood studio and saw some filming. They actively recruit foreigners to be extras, so thats how I got in. They day I went, they didn't need the guys, but I got to enjoy the day anyway.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've only been to Mumbai. But, I only had enough time to choose one and explore it. I chose Mumbai as it was the only one that had a shot at having a little nightlife and being a little bit cosmopolitan. (Granted most people don't go to India for that, but I just wanted to see India's New York City).

I quite liked it. I also wasn't harrassed much at all, relative to what I heard people were in New Delhi and places further north. I also wasn't ripped off by taxi meters, as I heard others often were elsewhere as well.

I've love to visit both Kolkata/Calcutta and New Delhi....but was quite content with Mumbai. I also got to see visit a Bollywood studio and saw some filming. They actively recruit foreigners to be extras, so thats how I got in. They day I went, they didn't need the guys, but I got to enjoy the day anyway.
Yeah Mumbai probably doesn't get the tourists the Delhi area does. I'm looking at doing a 3 week Intrepid tour of India sometime soon: focusing on Northern India, basically from Kolkata to Mumbai, going to places like Varanasi, Agra, Delhi, Jaipur, Udaipur, Mumbai.etc. My mother went to India way back in the early 80s, I wonder if it's changed much since then.

Pity you didn't get to star in a film, but don't they put out like 1,000 a year or something? lol.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:18 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah Mumbai probably doesn't get the tourists the Delhi area does. I'm looking at doing a 3 week Intrepid tour of India sometime soon: focusing on Northern India, basically from Kolkata to Mumbai, going to places like Varanasi, Agra, Delhi, Jaipur, Udaipur, Mumbai.etc. My mother went to India way back in the early 80s, I wonder if it's changed much since then.

Pity you didn't get to star in a film, but don't they put out like 1,000 a year or something? lol.
Not much around Mumbai to go and see, it does seem like New Delhi IS the place to fly into, and do a lot more India exploration.

Bollywood, I think a 'tourist' or 'backpacker' could show up anyday of the year, and get that invite. They search the tourist areas and encourage anyone they can to do it. You get a few snacks, a meal, and I think even minimal money - like $5 or something, which covers any other expenses getting there and otherwise.

Some tourists try to do it everyday they are in Mumbai, for like a week.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Not much around Mumbai to go and see, it does seem like New Delhi IS the place to fly into, and do a lot more India exploration.

Bollywood, I think a 'tourist' or 'backpacker' could show up anyday of the year, and get that invite. They search the tourist areas and encourage anyone they can to do it. You get a few snacks, a meal, and I think even minimal money - like $5 or something, which covers any other expenses getting there and otherwise.

Some tourists try to do it everyday they are in Mumbai, for like a week.
Kolkata makes sense as a starting point to see North India. Even might go late this year, although next year is more likely. My cousins and aunty have been to Kolkata they said it was really exotic, hectic: India is a real culture shock even for the well-travelled.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 10,816 times
These are Metro Cities of India.
Mumbai is Capital of India. Here people live there life with busy lifestyle. Delhi is National Capital of India. Here People leaves there life with joy and relax.
About Kolkata is quite fine lifestyle here enjoy everyone love to eat sea Food.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:39 PM

75 posts, read 167,299 times
Bombay is definitely the nicest of the three, and the architecture in the old part of it is very beautiful. Delhi is the oldest and has a lot of monuments, but I thought it was very polluted and unpleasant. I've never been to Calcutta, but I'm sure it's nice with its old buildings and the history associated with it. The cultures of the three cities are entirely different, which is one of the things that makes traveling in India so enjoyable: there's so much variation from one place to the next. In Calcutta the dominant language is Bengali, in Bombay Marathi and a unique mixed dialect called Bambaiyya Hindi, and in Delhi it's Hindi, along with Punjabi, and the poetic Urdu. All three have many immigrants from across the country. Each have their own foods, customs, and festivals that are very distinct and interesting to experience.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 7,916 times
Kolkata once was number 1,Mumbai 2 and Delhi 3..But due to some bad politics Kolkata has lost its place and now Mumbai is the topmost city of India..Kolkata and Delhi are tough competitors for 2nd spot,though Delhi have an edge..The thing that Mumbai lacks is beauty as it is often accused to be dirtiest Indian city but on other hand Kolkata and Delhi are cleaner and beautiful cities.The lifestyle of Kolkata is best and it is the city of joy for a reason.Kolkata is also the cheapest city...Over all these three cities are by far the best Indian cities and are way way above than all other cities in almost every respect..

Last edited by shankhayan; 05-11-2014 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 05-11-2014, 03:40 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
I'm going to Delhi in a couple of weeks.

To my extensive reading, Delhi has an amazing geographic location within India. You're a mere couple hundred km from the lesser Himalayas, the Great Thar Desert, and easy rail connections to anywhere else. The food is also great, but there's not much in the way of charm and the weather is horrible. I'm staying in a Tibetan refugee neighbourhood (Majnu Ka Tilla) to sort of ease my way in to India. The dumplings and soups for the first few days should hopefully delay the loperamide binge ...

I am really fascinated by Kolkata, although I ultimately decided not to visit. Bengali food looks great - maybe the best regional food in India. Outside you can check out the Sunder Bans mangrovey-swamp delta to see fishing and maybe Bengal tigers. As for the city, it's supposed to be grimey, but in a cool way since it was the first station for the British, and there are still some impressive edifices left over from that. They say Bengalis are also the most welcoming and generous people of India, in general.

Mumbai, I don't know much about. There's a nice hill station nearby called Matheran. I know it's more expensive, and supposed to be the entertainment centre, but I have very little interest in it.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:27 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankhayan View Post
Kolkata once was number 1,Mumbai 2 and Delhi 3..But due to some bad politics Kolkata has lost its place and now Mumbai is the topmost city of India..Kolkata and Delhi are tough competitors for 2nd spot,though Delhi have an edge..The thing that Mumbai lacks is beauty as it is often accused to be dirtiest Indian city but on other hand Kolkata and Delhi are cleaner and beautiful cities.The lifestyle of Kolkata is best and it is the city of joy for a reason.Kolkata is also the cheapest city...Over all these three cities are by far the best Indian cities and are way way above than all other cities in almost every respect..
I think Kolkata has a lot of colonial architecture. I've heard it's the poorest, although Mumbai seems to have the worst slums and rich/poor divide. I'm sure many smaller cities in India might be more pleasant places to live than all three though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.