U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which seems more developed to you?
South Korea 15 68.18%
Taiwan 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 08:46 AM

12,572 posts, read 15,036,884 times

Advertisements

I'd say South Korea.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:48 PM

45 posts, read 88,382 times
I think South Korea is more develop because South Korea has big company like Samsung. I am from Bangkok, Thailand and I wish success for all three cities because we is share lots in common because we are all Northeast Asian peoples.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:52 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
I suspect a lot of folks are ignorant of Taiwan. Taiwan ain't some developing countries, it's rich and in many ways feels more developed than the US.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:59 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,114,752 times
^Wut?????????????
In what ways??I can't possibly think of anything here more developed than US.
The MRT?I think it's just because that it's a bit more well-managed,but it's not very complete,there are tons of places in Taipei that the MRT can't reach.
Or the convenient stores?I feel like that's kinda because of the tiny area here.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
^Wut?????????????
In what ways??I can't possibly think of anything here more developed than US.
The MRT?I think it's just because that it's a bit more well-managed,but it's not very complete,there are tons of places in Taipei that the MRT can't reach.
Or the convenient stores?I feel like that's kinda because of the tiny area here.
I'm assuming you've been to the US, if you can speak so conclusively.

I've been to both the Taiwan and the US. The US had a lot more decrepit infrastructure, ghetto areas, poor homeless people than Taiwan. I'm speaking from appearances. Taiwan has modern, clean cities, high-tech transport.etc.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:08 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Been to both, and I would say South Korea, just because it has larger cities and has a larger population. It's a bit more like comparing large cities and smaller cities. Of course large cities will have more extensive subway and other rail connections and other advantages when comparing just development alone. However, with larger cities, things tend to cost more and the quality of life might not be that good anyway. Seoul definitely feels too crowded for me. Taipei is at least not so bad. In case you want to compare, the Seoul Metro Area's population is the same as the whole population of Taiwan.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Been to both, and I would say South Korea, just because it has larger cities and has a larger population. It's a bit more like comparing large cities and smaller cities. Of course large cities will have more extensive subway and other rail connections and other advantages when comparing just development alone. However, with larger cities, things tend to cost more and the quality of life might not be that good anyway. Seoul definitely feels too crowded for me. Taipei is at least not so bad. In case you want to compare, the Seoul Metro Area's population is the same as the whole population of Taiwan.
How does larger cities mean more developed?

The Netherlands doesn't have any large cities like Dhaka or Mumbai or Lagos. Obviously it's far far more developed.

That makes no sense.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:15 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,114,752 times
But I feel like it's more about the size,US is such big ass country with big population,so there'd be poor areas and rich areas.Taiwan is just tiny,so people are like everywhere,maybe that's why you get the appearance.The unven development is not as obvious.

Btw there's barely any immigrants here,I mean yes there are,but nowhere near the number of those in US,that probably makes some differences as well.

Regardless,Korea is still ahead of us.Seoul is a even more modern,clean,and high tech city than Taipei.I've been there many years ago,the difference wasn't as apparent,but some people I know have been there recently,and they said that Seoul has certainly evolved to a whole different level.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:19 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
How does larger cities mean more developed?

The Netherlands doesn't have any large cities like Dhaka or Mumbai or Lagos. Obviously it's far far more developed.

That makes no sense.
What doesn't make sense there? If you have two cities with similar GDP per capita, the one with twice the population will feel more developed (and probably is) compared to the one with half the population. What is so difficult to understand there? I am not comparing cities that have like 1/10th or 1/20th of the GDP per capita, in which case, the answer is obvious.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
But I feel like it's more about the size,US is such big ass country with big population,so there'd be poor areas and rich areas.Taiwan is just tiny,so people are like everywhere,maybe that's why you get the appearance.The unven development is not as obvious.

Btw there's barely any immigrants here,I mean yes there are,but nowhere near the number of those in US,that probably makes some differences as well.

Regardless,Korea is still ahead of us.Seoul is a even more modern,clean,and high tech city than Taipei.I've been there many years ago,the difference wasn't as apparent,but some people I know have been there recently,and they said that Seoul has certainly evolved to a whole different level.
Well of course I don't know what's beneath the surface in Taiwan, and there are fewer stats since it's not a sovereign nation, but according to the IMF it's GDP per capita is ABOVE South Korea's. Taiwan seems more equal than Hong Kong or Singapore too. Where are the really bad parts of Taiwan? I went all over Taiwan, from Taipei, to many tourist villages, Hualien, Chiayi, Taichung, Kaohsiung and I didn't see the same grinding poverty (by first world standards of course) I saw in parts of the States. Yes, the US has good and bad, I've been to the good and bad. Taipei ranks with the nicer cities like Boston or San Diego, not Memphis. Most of the poor in the US are not immigrants but like African Americans and poor whites, although there are Hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or