U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which seems more developed to you?
South Korea 15 68.18%
Taiwan 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2014, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Reputation: 4560

Advertisements

I don't understand why the hell Taiwan is ranked so high in terms of GDP per capita by IMF ,that almost feels like fake data to me,I've seen thw list and Taiwan is even ranked higher than Denmark and Japan and Finland,that just sounds all sorts of ridiculous.
About the equality,yeah Taiwan is more equal than HK and Singapore,for now.But I don"t really think equality of property necessarily links to development.Of course equality is fantastic,everybody is jealous of Nordic five,but I don't think having a huuuuuge gap between rich and poor means the country is less developed.Yeah maybe Taiwan seems more "equal" than the US or Sing or HK(the gap is getting wider over the years though),but that's more like a problem instead of an indication of developed or not.

 
Old 05-11-2014, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I don't understand why the hell Taiwan is ranked so high in terms of GDP per capita by IMF ,that almost feels like fake data to me,I've seen thw list and Taiwan is even ranked higher than Denmark and Japan and Finland,that just sounds all sorts of ridiculous.
About the equality,yeah Taiwan is more equal than HK and Singapore,for now.But I don"t really think equality of property necessarily links to development.Of course equality is fantastic,everybody is jealous of Nordic five,but I don't think having a huuuuuge gap between rich and poor means the country is less developed.Yeah maybe Taiwan seems more "equal" than the US or Sing or HK(the gap is getting wider over the years though),but that's more like a problem instead of an indication of developed or not.
How is equality a problem? I believe it, Taiwan's GDP has been growing rapidly. It's true though that incomes are lower, but prices are also lower, except for housing in Taipei. Quality of life from what I observed, if you don't factor long working hours, is on par with any first world nation I've been to.
 
Old 05-11-2014, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Reputation: 4560
Oh I meant the inequality is a problem lol.
Idk about the quality of life…my parents are rather wealthy so the quality of life of my family is probably pretty goo,but I understand that most people here are not.And it's just getting worse and worse over the years.
The GDP might be growing,but the industry is all hollowing out,the incomes aren't growing with GDP,however the lrice,while still 2 times lower than other first world countries,but it's definitely getting higher.
 
Old 05-11-2014, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Oh I meant the inequality is a problem lol.
Idk about the quality of life…my parents are rather wealthy so the quality of life of my family is probably pretty goo,but I understand that most people here are not.And it's just getting worse and worse over the years.
The GDP might be growing,but the industry is all hollowing out,the incomes aren't growing with GDP,however the lrice,while still 2 times lower than other first world countries,but it's definitely getting higher.
That's sad. Taiwan has improved a lot, it was one of the four Asian 'tigers' and held so much promise. It would be sad if it declined.
 
Old 05-11-2014, 10:44 PM
 
1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Oh I meant the inequality is a problem lol.
Idk about the quality of life…my parents are rather wealthy so the quality of life of my family is probably pretty goo,but I understand that most people here are not.And it's just getting worse and worse over the years.
The GDP might be growing,but the industry is all hollowing out,the incomes aren't growing with GDP,however the lrice,while still 2 times lower than other first world countries,but it's definitely getting higher.
Traveled to Taiwan many times and have friends there, won't say it's that bad. From the outside, you might think Hong Kong or Seoul or Tokyo are better, with high tech stuff, much more extensive subway systems, taller and more modern skyscrapers (aside from Taipei 101). From the inside, if you actually visit where people live and how much they pay to live in such places, it's not exactly that glamorous. I have a Taiwanese friend who worked in HK for a few years. Visited once and actually stayed at his place for a night. He was considered very highly paid already during that time, but his one-bedroom apartment was just so small even though the rent was already very high. I cannot fit on the couch in the living room so I slept in his bedroom. My friend is about two inches shorter than me, so he has fewer problems but I can barely fit myself in the sleeping space without my head or my feet hitting the walls. He is now back in Taiwan and got married there. He has also bought two condo units in Taipei, which I can crash if ever I visit. Although he of course has gotten salary increases over time, I think this alone confirms that quality of life is better in Taipei for what you pay for.
 
Old 05-11-2014, 10:52 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Traveled to Taiwan many times and have friends there, won't say it's that bad. From the outside, you might think Hong Kong or Seoul or Tokyo are better, with high tech stuff, much more extensive subway systems, taller and more modern skyscrapers (aside from Taipei 101). From the inside, if you actually visit where people live and how much they pay to live in such places, it's not exactly that glamorous. I have a Taiwanese friend who worked in HK for a few years. Visited once and actually stayed at his place for a night. He was considered very highly paid already during that time, but his one-bedroom apartment was just so small even though the rent was already very high. I cannot fit on the couch in the living room so I slept in his bedroom. My friend is about two inches shorter than me, so he has fewer problems but I can barely fit myself in the sleeping space without my head or my feet hitting the walls. He is now back in Taiwan and got married there. He has also bought two condo units in Taipei, which I can crash if ever I visit. Although he of course has gotten salary increases over time, I think this alone confirms that quality of life is better in Taipei for what you pay for.
Hong Kong has more glitz and wealth than Taipei but also more sort of grimy areas. Taipei does lack a proper skyline, yes, but the city itself is modern, developed, and mostly clean.

Taipei's gay rights are also well beyond other Asian countries.
 
Old 05-11-2014, 11:00 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Reputation: 4560
Yeah I understand HK is not ideal for living.The fact that they allow Mainlanders to buy property there makes the price over there impossible to meet with the incomes.And I've been to HK so I kinda know.
But still,as far as "development" is concerned,Taiwan is still far behind Korea,let along Japan.Life quality doesn't really connect with developments.I'm not saying that Taiwan is a third world,yes it's first world,but within the first world,there are still differences,and Korea is certainly ahead of us.
 
Old 05-11-2014, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Yeah I understand HK is not ideal for living.The fact that they allow Mainlanders to buy property there makes the price over there impossible to meet with the incomes.And I've been to HK so I kinda know.
But still,as far as "development" is concerned,Taiwan is still far behind Korea,let along Japan.Life quality doesn't really connect with developments.I'm not saying that Taiwan is a third world,yes it's first world,but within the first world,there are still differences,and Korea is certainly ahead of us.
I always got the impression Korea was quite a bit behind Japan, but the gap has probably narrowed, and in the next 10-15 years Korea's standard of living could exceed Japan.
 
Old 05-11-2014, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Reputation: 4560
Gay rights are indeed more developed over here,but I feel like we kinda wins by default.It's not like Taipei is exceptionally gay friendly,just that other places in Asia are unhealthily and disgustingly homophobic,so we kinda stands out lol.
It's definitely a great thing though,but there's still plenty to improve
 
Old 05-11-2014, 11:06 PM
 
1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Hong Kong has more glitz and wealth than Taipei but also more sort of grimy areas. Taipei does lack a proper skyline, yes, but the city itself is modern, developed, and mostly clean.

Taipei's gay rights are also well beyond other Asian countries.
Have you ever visited the places in Taiwan where everyone is spitting betel nuts left and right? IMHO, that's the most undeveloped aspect of Taiwan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top