U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:20 AM

143 posts, read 152,206 times

Advertisements

Let's note that the article is not written by an American. It's from a German.

U.S. Is No. 1, China Is So Yesterday - Bloomberg View

Nonetheless, It's an interesting piece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 08:16 AM

12,677 posts, read 14,059,781 times
The country's changing power role in the world and an economy that is changing irrevocably, and which will make for basic transformations in the American society...this is the bogeyman embedded in the American psyche but good at this point.

Big bad China is just a convenient coat rack to hang this nightmare on.

What is "so yesterday" is the world that Americans thought they would dominate forever. The whole game board is being shaken up, and not just for the U.S.........China, shmina.

The article is just another attempt at psychological displacement. China, shmina is not the point.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:22 AM

6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
People have been saying that China is gonna collapse because of its poor human rights condition and how corruptive its government is blahblah.
Yes the human rights condition is gross and its government is all kinds of corruptive,but face it,it's gonna collapse.....only in my dream lol.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:50 AM

18,438 posts, read 9,548,793 times
I've pretty read or thought of pretty much everything in that article. The USA doesn't have to worry about China or any other country becoming the #1 country unless the citizens and political structure of the USA decide not to pursue it.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:01 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Not a convincing article at all.

The only valid point is the dollar hegemony, and we all know many countries are trying to challenge its absolute dominance, as it makes no sense for country with only 20% of world GDP to enjoy such a privilege.

The day when the USA ceases to be this powerful is the day the US creases to be able to exploit the world from Wall Street. The US will remain very big, powerful and rich, but the absolute dominance will be over within our life time.

oh, did I mention the US debt?

Old 05-13-2014, 10:25 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,703,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
People have been saying that China is gonna collapse because of its poor human rights condition and how corruptive its government is blahblah.
Yes the human rights condition is gross and its government is all kinds of corruptive,but face it,it's gonna collapse.....only in my dream lol.
Yea the country has been around for a long long timer and people think China will just randomly collapse lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

The only valid point is the dollar hegemony, and we all know many countries are trying to challenge its absolute dominance, as it makes no sense for country with only 20% of world GDP to enjoy such a privilege.

The day when the USA ceases to be this powerful is the day the US creases to be able to exploit the world from Wall Street. The US will remain very big, powerful and rich, but the absolute dominance will be over within our life time.

Because China is without debt

Old 05-13-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

Because China is without debt
of course China has debt, but it is a matter of 37% of GDP vs 106% in the US. As you can see, 37% is pretty low by international standard, similar to S Korea.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:35 PM

18,438 posts, read 9,548,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

I agree our debt is dangerously high. How does the USA make money on other countries trading its currency and how much do you think is made by the USA when others use the dollar for trades? I think the USA success is based on our superior university education, leader in technology for the last 75 years, and entrepreneurial ship... and work ethic.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:20 PM

12,886 posts, read 8,725,709 times
Don't think China is interested being #1 anytime soon. What will happen is that China will eventually mint more millionaires than the US because of tax laws. Income inequality is even worse there.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think the USA success is based on our superior university education, leader in technology for the last 75 years, and entrepreneurial ship... and work ethic.
not that I disagree with you on these, but good education, technology and enterpreneurialship don't guarantee such prominence. Many countries actually have these: Germany, Japan for example. The US has a lot of natural advantage.

the US dominance was established largely by the second war - while Europe and Japan suffered tremendously, the US actually gained substantially from it.

The US unlike Asian and European powers, doesn't have hostile neighours and therefore didn't have to go to war with any countries (at least not as often as others). Additionally, its vast land and rich resources didn't hurt (Japan has no resources).

If you really look at other big countries around the world, none has the advantage the US does. China for example has too little resources and way too many hostile neighbours. Canada has the land and resource but its location and climate prevent it from becoming a big power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia