Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which seems more developed to you?
South Korea 15 68.18%
Taiwan 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 04:34 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

Taiwan has a higher GDP according to the IMF, yet South Korea has a higher HDI. I've only been to Taiwan, and it seemed pretty first world as far as I could tell (although food prices were more typical of less rich countries). Hotels in Taipei weren't that much cheaper than HK or Singapore actually. Both probably attained 'developed' or first world status only about 10-15 years ago, and only now are really on par with the likes of Japan or Singapore. Both sort of had martial law until the 1980s. Taiwanese, from what I experienced, seem more polite, genteel and friendly in some ways than mainland Chinese, kind of like Japanese. I've heard negative things about Koreans, and about them being a bit like Chinese.

Both Seoul and Taipei seem very modern cities (mainly because they rose a lot in the past say 20 years, while Japan's peak was the 60s-80s), and both SK and Taiwan have things like HSR, very good wi-fi connectivity. Politically they're democratic by Asian standards, but not as free as Western or Northern Europe. Both seem to have comparatively freer societies and better human rights - while capital punishment is legal neither country has used it for many years (well South Korea at least, Taiwan seldom uses it). Some rural areas in both though seem a bit 'backwards', although real poverty seems quite rare in either.

Please NO discussion about the whole Taiwanese independence thing or debate as to whether it's a 'real country' or not...just stick to the topic, Taiwan vs South Korea.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:57 AM

I found this article interesting:

The First Impressions Post: Taiwan vs Korea - Waegook Tom

Old 05-11-2014, 05:07 AM

Taipei Is So Gay. And I Love It. - Waegook Tom

On the comparative tolerance of homosexuality in Taiwan.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:59 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
It's really nice to see foreigners fond of Taiwan.
But South Korea is more developed,easily.They are booming,we are going BACKWARDS.

As for the capital punishment,Korea hasn't used it in a longggggg time,more than 10 years,I think they are closer to the abolishment.While we JUST executed 5 criminals on death row less than a month ago,and you know why they did it?Because Ma wanted to "savage" his poor popularity among people.WHAT KIND OF GOVERNMENT IS THIS.....PATHETIC AND DISGUSTING!!!!
Oh and btw,at least two of the cases of those criminals were extremely debatable,but still,they just slaughtered them.

As for the politics.I know that Korea isn't as liberal as Taiwan,but at least,they would never betray their country by selling it to North Korea,however that's exactly what KMT is doing right now.So Korea easily wins in this category for me.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:14 AM

http://www.city-data.com/forum/asia/...-thailand.html
And this thread has people sharing their experiences as well.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It's really nice to see foreigners fond of Taiwan.
But South Korea is more developed,easily.They are booming,we are going BACKWARDS.

As for the capital punishment,Korea hasn't used it in a longggggg time,more than 10 years,I think they are closer to the abolishment.While we JUST executed 5 criminals on death row less than a month ago,and you know why they did it?Because Ma wanted to "savage" his poor popularity among people.WHAT KIND OF GOVERNMENT IS THIS.....PATHETIC AND DISGUSTING!!!!
Oh and btw,at least two of the cases of those criminals were extremely debatable,but still,they just slaughtered them.

As for the politics.I know that Korea isn't as liberal as Taiwan,but at least,they would never betray their country by selling it to North Korea,however that's exactly what KMT is doing right now.So Korea easily wins in this category for me.
Backwards? That's a real shame to hear. I thought Taiwan was progressing quite nicely. In what ways is Taiwan going backwards?

Old 05-11-2014, 06:40 AM

3 posts, read 25,976 times
South Korea has higher GDP nominal per capita than Taiwan with the latest reports.
South Korea of course has a higher GDP than Taiwan with more population.
Seoul is more global, busy and large than Taipei.
Ok Republic of China is a de facto country but not a member of the United Nations like North & South Korea. Few countries maintain official relations with ROC. This has some negative effects on the development of Taiwan.
Taiwan had prisoners executed recently. Taiwan like Japan, only sentence cases with death penalty in very extreme circumstances, still Both Japan and Taiwan judges sentenced afew people with death penalty every year in this century. South Korea has an unofficial policy of not executing death penalty sentences since 1997, capital punishment is not yet officially abolished.

Examples of rural areas are mountains and Eastern Taiwan, Matsu, Wuchiu and Kinmen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Taiwan has a higher GDP according to the IMF.
Capital punishment is legal neither country has used it for many years (well South Korea at least, Taiwan seldom uses it). Some rural areas in both though seem a bit 'backwards', although real poverty seems quite rare in either.

Please NO discussion about the whole Taiwanese independence thing or debate as to whether it's a 'real country' or not...just stick to the topic, Taiwan vs South Korea.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:42 AM

3 posts, read 25,976 times
You started a right post. Taiwan and South Korea often compare with each other, other pairs often compared include Japan/South Korea, HK/Singapore, HK/Macau etc. Both South Korea and Taiwan have GDP per capita lower than that of Japan's, Singapore's and HK's. Both have active conscription for males citizens. The military is related to every family.

The most obvious being the economy.
Another thing is the growth of popularity of Korean culture and brand names, the Korean Wave.
Taiwan's cultural influences did not grow that much, and is not sucessful outside of E & SE Asia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Backwards? That's a real shame to hear. I thought Taiwan was progressing quite nicely. In what ways is Taiwan going backwards?

Last edited by Asiangrandprix; 05-11-2014 at 06:51 AM..

Old 05-11-2014, 06:56 AM

I think I've said it in other threads,but I don't mind going over and over again.

It's not really just political,yeah sure those stuffs are definitely going backwards as you probably know that there have been protests recently and the authorities just kept arresting people(the demonstrations were barely violent,at least 100 times less violent than those that happened in Mainland China.That almost makes me feel that Mainlanders are more aware of the things that happen around them than Taiwanese do),and the media is pretty much controlled by KMT so the people that don't use internet(generally the old ones) live in some sorts of obscurantism,and keep calling the protesters have been causing riots when there was practically 0 violence.Most people are just illiterate in terms of democracy.

I have been cursing the members of KMT to die as soon as possible for months tbh.All of them should be tortured to death by whoever has the ability to do so.They are skanks.

As for the economy,the GDP doesn't seem to be deteriorating,but those data is absolute bull****.To make a long story short,the industry in this island has been hollowing out to China(mostly.In case those Chinese people'll say that I always blame things on China.I'll say that it's those greedy entrepreneurs' faults.There's nothing wrong that they love money,I mean who doesn't?But when you go China,earning money from the Chinese governments and markets,then you come back to Taiwan and take advantages of Taiwanese people,that's just intolerable.I'm here cursing them to be run over by trucks),so when those huge enterprises that constitute the GDP seem to be booming,the actual salary here just keeps going backwards.College graduates(or even those with MD) don't get jobs,even if they do,the salary is low as hell.The salary rate here is currently at its lowest in let's say 20 years,or at least 15 years.So booming economy?I don't think so.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiangrandprix View Post
South Korea has higher GDP nominal per capita than Taiwan with the latest reports.
South Korea of course has a higher GDP than Taiwan with more population.
Seoul is more global, busy and large than Taipei.
Ok Republic of China is a de facto country but not a member of the United Nations like North & South Korea. Few countries maintain official relations with ROC. This has some negative effects on the development of Taiwan.
Taiwan had prisoners executed recently. Taiwan like Japan, only sentence cases with death penalty in very extreme circumstances, still Both Japan and Taiwan judges sentenced afew people with death penalty every year in this century. South Korea has an unofficial policy of not executing death penalty sentences since 1997, capital punishment is not yet officially abolished.

Examples of rural areas are mountains and Eastern Taiwan, Matsu, Wuchiu and Kinmen.
So true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia