U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-06-2016, 10:46 AM
 
4,682 posts, read 3,610,867 times
Reputation: 7381

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I share some of your sentiments and often I hate those Chinese for being so cruel and stupid, and selfish and heartless.


However, I want to remind you a very high percentage of Chinese are still not very well educated, despite the countries rapid ascendency. In the countryside, which is still half of the nation, people are still very superstitional and believe all sorts of BS and woodoo science, which is very frustrating. They act not based on reason and logic, but on "traditional wisdom", which in 90% cases is just pure BS. In China, I simply can't deal with these people, and there are plenty of them in big cities too.


Compassion seems to be a trait the Chinese collectively lack, for some reason. I never understood it. The Chinese care a lot about their family, friends etc, however, when it comes to total strangers, or animals, they are be completely ruthless. I don't know if it is a matter of culture or education, but that's very sad.
It's from Confucianism, which emphasizes family and filial piety above all else. This is why the Chinese would die for their families, but would watch as other Chinese get slaughtered (note Nanjing, where the japanese slaughtered Chinese by the tens of thousands while other Chinese just stood by and watched like dumb idiots). They have no sense of civic duty or nationalism because these notions transcend the narrow confines of the family. Same with animals; they can love their grand-kids and nieces etc, but a dog, cat or even a horse can be skinned alive while the whole family watch and laugh through all the blood. That's the urgy Chinese which I hate.

 
Old 04-06-2016, 10:55 AM
 
1,424 posts, read 734,780 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
It's from Confucianism, which emphasizes family and filial piety above all else. This is why the Chinese would die for their families, but would watch as other Chinese get slaughtered (note Nanjing, where the japanese slaughtered Chinese by the tens of thousands while other Chinese just stood by and watched like dumb idiots). They have no sense of civic duty or nationalism because these notions transcend the narrow confines of the family. Same with animals; they can love their grand-kids and nieces etc, but a dog, cat or even a horse can be skinned alive while the whole family watch and laugh through all the blood. That's the urgy Chinese which I hate.
Somewhat disagree.

In fact, I think Chinese have real, close friends. Friendship in America is very shallow.
When I was a student in China, I often lent cash (over 100 yuan) to other friends, something Americans won't do. My college friends in China still get together frequently (almost every month) and play together, although most of them have kids already.

Americans are very family oriented, but the focus of family is only on spouse and kids. Chinese value parents and the extended family more.

Relatively few Chinese have ever had any pet. My parents never had a dog or cat. So they just do not connect with pets as much as those who have the experience. However that does not mean they are cruel.
 
Old 04-06-2016, 05:19 PM
 
4,682 posts, read 3,610,867 times
Reputation: 7381
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Somewhat disagree.

In fact, I think Chinese have real, close friends. Friendship in America is very shallow.
When I was a student in China, I often lent cash (over 100 yuan) to other friends, something Americans won't do. My college friends in China still get together frequently (almost every month) and play together, although most of them have kids already.

Americans are very family oriented, but the focus of family is only on spouse and kids. Chinese value parents and the extended family more.

Relatively few Chinese have ever had any pet. My parents never had a dog or cat. So they just do not connect with pets as much as those who have the experience. However that does not mean they are cruel.
Cruelty can be unintended and subconscious. Your point about the fact that most Chinese came from times of starvation and not having a pet is valid. This is perhaps why the Chinese have no empathy for the suffering of animals. It is an emblem of China's poverty and miserable history. But it's still disgusting and inexcusable. China can never be excused and will never be respected as a fully modern member of the world with this sort of primitive and cruel mentality. Why do you think the US have grudging respect for the Russians but none for the Chinese? There are many reasons but one is the fact that Russia is more modern than the primitive Chinese. KIndness is a basic human trait, and having compassion for living things is universal for all humans. The fact that the Chinese seem to have such little compassion say something about Chinese culture and the Chinese character.
 
Old 04-06-2016, 05:51 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
18,642 posts, read 23,230,355 times
Reputation: 48804
From human right, to brutal treatment of animals - I have no desire to visit China. Ever.
 
Old 04-06-2016, 08:26 PM
 
26 posts, read 10,325 times
Reputation: 22
This thread seems to have devolved into not so thinly veiled racism. Let's be honest.
 
Old 04-06-2016, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,351,665 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Somewhat disagree.

In fact, I think Chinese have real, close friends. Friendship in America is very shallow.
When I was a student in China, I often lent cash (over 100 yuan) to other friends, something Americans won't do. My college friends in China still get together frequently (almost every month) and play together, although most of them have kids already.

Americans are very family oriented, but the focus of family is only on spouse and kids. Chinese value parents and the extended family more.

Relatively few Chinese have ever had any pet. My parents never had a dog or cat. So they just do not connect with pets as much as those who have the experience. However that does not mean they are cruel.
Not really true at all. Friends in the US will regularly spot eachother when they go out or lend money to a friend in need; it's not a big deal. They still socialize with friends after they have families. Where do you come up with this stuff?? I remember some time ago, don't recall if it was you or someone else, saying that in China, people always got up for their parents on the metro or bus but it never happens In the US, which is a polar reversal of reality. My pregnant wife has never been offered a seat on the bus or metro in GZ, not even once. We came to HK yesterday, and she hasn't had to stand at all because people get up for her.

It disgusts me every time I'm on public transit, seeing these able bodied young dudes and middle aged guys sitting there while old or pregnant women, or women holding babies stand. I will never get used to it. You can get on a bus in freakin' West Oakland and a fourteen year old kid with a poor education and family background still gets up for an old woman....
 
Old 04-06-2016, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,351,665 times
Reputation: 11309
On one of the wechat groups Im in, someone recently shared a video in which an actor in a hoodie and face mask pretended to abduct a resistant kid in broad daylight in front of crowds. Most people stood there like a doofus for a moment before continuing on their way. A father with his wife and kid pointed laughed. A guy with his wife told her to look away and that it was none of their business.

No one intervened, no one called the cops.

If that was their precious little baby boy, they would be howling for the death penalty and of course would hope someone would intervene, but this culture seems to be unable to instill any sort of sense of objective reasoning or empathy among a terrifying vast number of its citizens, so no one wants to be the one who steps up to help.

Try that in the US, AU, EU, LatAm, most of the rest of Asia, etc, and you would probably have multiple people chasing you down the block.
 
Old 04-07-2016, 12:48 AM
 
1,424 posts, read 734,780 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Not really true at all. Friends in the US will regularly spot eachother when they go out or lend money to a friend in need; it's not a big deal. They still socialize with friends after they have families. Where do you come up with this stuff?? I remember some time ago, don't recall if it was you or someone else, saying that in China, people always got up for their parents on the metro or bus but it never happens In the US, which is a polar reversal of reality. My pregnant wife has never been offered a seat on the bus or metro in GZ, not even once. We came to HK yesterday, and she hasn't had to stand at all because people get up for her.

It disgusts me every time I'm on public transit, seeing these able bodied young dudes and middle aged guys sitting there while old or pregnant women, or women holding babies stand. I will never get used to it. You can get on a bus in freakin' West Oakland and a fourteen year old kid with a poor education and family background still gets up for an old woman....
In China pregnant women do have a lower priority than elder people. It is just a culture issue. Also Guangzhou is known to be a socially cold city. Even Beijing is much better in this regard. According to my experience Chengdu is the best among bigger cities.

My parents (both over 60) took buses and subways many times in America too, and only one person gave my mother a seat once. Only once. And that was an old man. Maybe you are already different from young Americans.

Many Chinese people complain they cannot 串门 in America. You have to make appointments for everything.
However, I understand a Chinese living in America, or an American living in China, both are outliers. So it is not always fair.
 
Old 04-07-2016, 12:50 AM
 
1,424 posts, read 734,780 times
Reputation: 508
Oh I made the mistake to ask an American "friend" to lend me some cash. Will never do that again.
One thing I realized is that many Americans actually do not have extra cash, even though they drive a car. Over 70% Americans do not have the savings to cover one month's expenses.
 
Old 04-07-2016, 02:22 AM
 
4,682 posts, read 3,610,867 times
Reputation: 7381
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Oh I made the mistake to ask an American "friend" to lend me some cash. Will never do that again.
One thing I realized is that many Americans actually do not have extra cash, even though they drive a car. Over 70% Americans do not have the savings to cover one month's expenses.
I have plenty of money to lend, but I won't lend to friends because in the US, you try to separate friendship from money. That's the way it is. You won't want to ruin your friendship when someone can't repay. This has nothing to do with compassion for the disabled and the animals, all are vulnerable members of society. When you need money, it's your situation and not because you are "vulnerable". I would never lend money to abled bodied men, especially when they can borrow from the banks. I personally wouldn't be friends with guys who need other people's money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top