U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-07-2016, 02:36 AM
 
4,710 posts, read 3,629,460 times
Reputation: 7407

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC Guy View Post
This thread seems to have devolved into not so thinly veiled racism. Let's be honest.
Like I said previously, I crap on Chinese cultural practices because they are crappy and deserve to be bashed. I have also supported China's claims to the SCS and the Diaoyus in my other posts, so I am not always anti-Chinese. I just find Chinese practices of believing in Traditional Chinese medicine, which directly causes the killing of endangered animals like rhinos etc, and the brutal practice of eating dogs and cats (for health and libido, no less!) to be disgusting. It's not racism, just simple bashing of grotesque practices.

If you want to see racism, you should spend some time in China and see what the Chinese really think about the rest of the world. You will be stunned by the almost naive and childlike innocence to their racist view of the world.

 
Old 04-07-2016, 08:16 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,292,483 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
It's from Confucianism, which emphasizes family and filial piety above all else. This is why the Chinese would die for their families, but would watch as other Chinese get slaughtered (note Nanjing, where the japanese slaughtered Chinese by the tens of thousands while other Chinese just stood by and watched like dumb idiots). They have no sense of civic duty or nationalism because these notions transcend the narrow confines of the family. Same with animals; they can love their grand-kids and nieces etc, but a dog, cat or even a horse can be skinned alive while the whole family watch and laugh through all the blood. That's the urgy Chinese which I hate.
you have your points but I don't agree it stems from Confucianism.


One example: 己所不欲,勿施於人。"What you do not wish for yourself, do not do to others."


Westerners always love to talk about "universal value", which all tend to be dubious, but this is the one value that can apply universally. Confucius definitely doesn't ask the Chinese to treat others in a cruel way.


Mencius, the most famous philosopher after Confucius, used to say: 养吾老以及人之老,爱吾幼以及人之幼
"Be kind to your parents and other people's parents, love your children and other people's children". This definitely doesn't serve to tell people only your own family matters.


It might be the Cultural Revolution and this Black Cat/white cat philosophy that lead to the current lack of morality in China, but it is not the fault of Confucianism.
 
Old 04-07-2016, 10:39 AM
 
1,424 posts, read 738,177 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I have plenty of money to lend, but I won't lend to friends because in the US, you try to separate friendship from money. That's the way it is. You won't want to ruin your friendship when someone can't repay. This has nothing to do with compassion for the disabled and the animals, all are vulnerable members of society. When you need money, it's your situation and not because you are "vulnerable". I would never lend money to abled bodied men, especially when they can borrow from the banks. I personally wouldn't be friends with guys who need other people's money.
It's about what your friend needs, not what you feel.
If you have a crush on a girl/guy, and she/he asks for some cash, I bet you will do it.
So it is still priority.

True, Chinese people do not have much access of small loans, or it is not their habit. But that is another issue.

Last edited by yueng-ling; 04-07-2016 at 11:18 AM..
 
Old 04-07-2016, 12:37 PM
 
4,710 posts, read 3,629,460 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
It's about what your friend needs, not what you feel.
If you have a crush on a girl/guy, and she/he asks for some cash, I bet you will do it.
So it is still priority.

True, Chinese people do not have much access of small loans, or it is not their habit. But that is another issue.
Well, if you need to use money to entice a crush and get laid, then you might as well just get a prostitute. This line of thinking is pathetic.
 
Old 04-07-2016, 01:15 PM
 
1,424 posts, read 738,177 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Well, if you need to use money to entice a crush and get laid, then you might as well just get a prostitute. This line of thinking is pathetic.
I just want to illustrate the idea that if you care about someone, you will do things to help them. Not to impose some principles on them.

Americans are more distant to each other, which many people in the world agree (including Asians, Europeans, and Africans). So maybe you should convince yourself that it makes some sense.
 
Old 04-07-2016, 01:35 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,292,483 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I have plenty of money to lend, but I won't lend to friends because in the US, you try to separate friendship from money. That's the way it is. You won't want to ruin your friendship when someone can't repay. This has nothing to do with compassion for the disabled and the animals, all are vulnerable members of society. When you need money, it's your situation and not because you are "vulnerable". I would never lend money to abled bodied men, especially when they can borrow from the banks. I personally wouldn't be friends with guys who need other people's money.
It is not about "in the US that's way it is", but rather as a friend what would you do with help a friend in need. Of course if this friend always has money problem and keep borrowing, it would be wise to refuse, but if he just happens to be short of cash, and you do trust him as a friend, I see no reason not to.


You are saying if he can't repay, your friendship is ruined. Well, a Chinese would think if you refuse to lend, your friendship is ruined, because you refuse to trust that he is in good faith. In fact, many true friends will lend the money and not expecting it to be repaid - that's definitely beyond comprehension for Americans, but that's very normal among Chinese friends. They care more about the need of the friend than what if I end up with a financial loss.


Imagine your friend's kid just had a car crash and the insurance and savings are not enough for the treatment, and he asks for some loan. Are you gonna say, look, I have a lot of money but simply can't lend it to you, because in case you can't repay, our friendship will be ruined. What happens to your kid, that's really not my business.


Of course one can borrow from the bank, but the interest can be high and small loans might not be that easy either.


You think never mix friendship with money, but for many Chinese, money is the ultimate test for true friendship. I mean, you hang out at bars, watch games together, look after each other's kids when need, but is that really "friendship"? Are you willing to sacrifice something to help a friend in need? That's what friendship is about.


Please don't say Americans simply don't do it. That explains nothing. It has nothing to do with culture or nationality. It is about trust and friendship.
 
Old 04-07-2016, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,782 posts, read 5,142,063 times
Reputation: 4582
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I remember some time ago, don't recall if it was you or someone else, saying that in China, people always got up for their parents on the metro or bus but it never happens In the US, which is a polar reversal of reality. My pregnant wife has never been offered a seat on the bus or metro in GZ, not even once. We came to HK yesterday, and she hasn't had to stand at all because people get up for her.

It disgusts me every time I'm on public transit, seeing these able bodied young dudes and middle aged guys sitting there while old or pregnant women, or women holding babies stand. I will never get used to it. You can get on a bus in freakin' West Oakland and a fourteen year old kid with a poor education and family background still gets up for an old woman....
Hmmmm that sounds quite depressing. In Taipei no one younger than 60 even dares to sit on the priority seats on metro (the dark blue ones) even when the carriage is completely packed (without any old, physically-challenged, or pregnant people) ... or completely empty. It's kinda silly tbh.
 
Old 04-07-2016, 04:15 PM
 
4,710 posts, read 3,629,460 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is not about "in the US that's way it is", but rather as a friend what would you do with help a friend in need. Of course if this friend always has money problem and keep borrowing, it would be wise to refuse, but if he just happens to be short of cash, and you do trust him as a friend, I see no reason not to.


You are saying if he can't repay, your friendship is ruined. Well, a Chinese would think if you refuse to lend, your friendship is ruined, because you refuse to trust that he is in good faith. In fact, many true friends will lend the money and not expecting it to be repaid - that's definitely beyond comprehension for Americans, but that's very normal among Chinese friends. They care more about the need of the friend than what if I end up with a financial loss.


Imagine your friend's kid just had a car crash and the insurance and savings are not enough for the treatment, and he asks for some loan. Are you gonna say, look, I have a lot of money but simply can't lend it to you, because in case you can't repay, our friendship will be ruined. What happens to your kid, that's really not my business.


Of course one can borrow from the bank, but the interest can be high and small loans might not be that easy either.


You think never mix friendship with money, but for many Chinese, money is the ultimate test for true friendship. I mean, you hang out at bars, watch games together, look after each other's kids when need, but is that really "friendship"? Are you willing to sacrifice something to help a friend in need? That's what friendship is about.


Please don't say Americans simply don't do it. That explains nothing. It has nothing to do with culture or nationality. It is about trust and friendship.
How did a conversation about China's disgusting cultural practice of cruelty to animals changed into lending money to crappy incompetent friends? I could care less if Chinese like to lend money or not. I care about the fact that many of them have no problem believing in voodoo superstition like TCM and killing off rhinos in the process, and butchering dogs and cats for stew in some backward medieval festivals. This runs along the same line as stupid Chinese ignoring a little girl getting hit by trucks multiple times and nobody cares.....lack of compassion for vulnerable beings. That's what's wrong with these selfish Chinese. I could care less if they are willing to give money to their friends. Their friends are not hapless animals or little kids.

If you have friends who measure your friendship based on whether you will lend them money or not, then I suggest you get new and better friends. You're really pathetic if you think it's acceptable for your friend to be offended if you refuse to lend him money. I would be offended if my friend actually put me in that position of having to lend him money. How ridiculous! It's as stupid as Chinese peasants believing in some qi and drinking rhino horn tea to get an erection. Just plain pathetic.
 
Old 04-07-2016, 07:03 PM
 
26 posts, read 10,361 times
Reputation: 22
To keep bringing up dogs and cats for food is pathetic, some say eating meat in general is pathetic. Go to any market and see all the chickens that were slaughtered for meat and then thrown away after the expiration. No one bought them, their lives were taken for what?
 
Old 04-07-2016, 07:15 PM
 
26 posts, read 10,361 times
Reputation: 22
And don't get me started on rhino horns. You prefer the rhino's head or any animal's head for that matter, stuffed and mounted on your wall? For what purpose?

Disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top