U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:33 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,124,525 times

Advertisements

Dealing drugs is bad,but can killing the drug dealers stop drug dealing?
Certainly not.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:38 AM

1,434 posts, read 2,117,581 times
I heard that Nigerians run the cocaine trafficking in China.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:51 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,265,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Which drugs would you include? Just the really dangerous ones like heroin, or cocaine, cannabis, ecstasy, pills.etc?
The Chinese law must be specific about it.
I doubt the smuggler was executed over some weeds.

The government has the right to determine what is severe and should deserve death penalty. The laws are clearly there. It is very easy not to violent them and you risk no danger of being put in death row.

Question why these people violated the laws in the first place. Don't question to law itself. The Chinese government doesn't have to believe all this "death penalty is evil" kind of theory.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
The government has the right to determine what is severe and should deserve death penalty. The laws are clearly there. It is very easy not to violent them and you risk no danger of being put in death row.

Question why these people violated the laws in the first place. Don't question to law itself. The Chinese government doesn't have to believe all this "death penalty is evil" kind of theory.
This is so Chinese.

"Don't question to law itself",as if laws are all correct.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Dealing drugs is bad,but can killing the drug dealers stop drug dealing?
Certainly not.
Maybe the Chinese law just intends on punishment, not crime deterrance? Not every country has the same legal system. If a thief still keeps stealing even after being put in jail many times, should we stop putting him in jail?

Singapore has a lot of very strict laws forbidding people from doing this and that, and many seem too harsh by other countries. It doesn't matter. I applaud those strict laws and one shouldn't complain about punishment too excessive, because as I pointed out several times, it is very easy NOT to violate them.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:07 AM

Nobody said if a thief keeps stealing things,we should stop putting him in jail.

Singapore's legal system is awful,isn't there another thread called "Singapore:First world price,first world economy,third world everything else"?,I don't know about other aspects but its legal system is nothing but third world.

I don't want to debate whether Chinese legal system is good or not because it's a very common myth for not just Chinese people,but Taiwanese and Singaporean as well,that punishing the criminals is the most important thing in the world,and it's not something that can change overnight.

I suggest you to ask some of your Canadian friends about this issue(since I gather you're living in Canada at this moment) and listen to their thoughts,or maybe read some books about criminology.Sometimes it's harder to obey the laws than to violate them.

Last edited by Greysholic; 05-22-2014 at 09:34 AM..

Old 05-22-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I suggest you to ask some of your Canadian friends about this issue(since I gather you're living in Canada at this moment) and listen to their thoughts,or maybe read some books about criminology.Sometimes it's harder to obey the laws than to violate them.
maybe so, but it is damn easy not to smuggle drugs. They do it because they want to make money by poisoning people. No sympathy for them whatsoever.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
This is so Chinese.

"Don't question to law itself",as if laws are all correct.
In no country the laws are all correct.

What we can do is to obey them before the laws themselves are revised/amended. You can't violent the law first and argue the law is wrong. That's not how modern countries with good legal systems work.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
maybe so, but it is damn easy not to smuggle drugs. They do it because they want to make money by poisoning people. No sympathy for them whatsoever.
Sure,they should totally be punished,but since I'm against capital punishment myself,I wouldn't want them to be killed.

Quote:
In no country the laws are all correct.

What we can do is to obey them before the laws themselves are revised/amended. You can't violent the law first and argue the law is wrong. That's not how modern countries with good legal systems work.
In regard to this,through out the history,civil disobedience has always been an effective way for the citizens to fight against the injustice of their legal system.So I would not say that we can only obey the obviously wrong laws and just wait for Mary Poppins to switch them with the right ones,because Mary Poppins and Batman do not exist in real world.

I'm not saying laws that forbid theft,robbery,murders are the wrong ones,they are clearly right,but for the ones that forbid the freedom of speech or the freedom of protests,simply obeying them is not gonna help.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:54 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,042,519 times
I think the only deterrent to crime is an enlightened citizenry, which neither China or the US has. I doubt executions are that much of a deterrent to crimes because people committing crimes aren't usually thinking about getting caught. Perhaps you save some money by not having to jail them for life but you also run a greater risk of killing innocent people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia