U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 02:57 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,245,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
The Chinese are big on maintain societal order. If an individual breaks these cultural norms (like imports drugs, murders someone, or is convicted of public graft they are dealt with very harshly - often executed. You can also be severely punished for things that are legal in the USA - like advocating for banned political or religious groups or are critical of the Communist party.

You might not agree with this approach but you can't argue with the success of their model. China has 1/6 of the world's population and has managed to maintain relative peace and prosperity for the majority of it's citizens for the last 25 or so years.

I suggest critics should go visit there before you post your derisive screed here on CD.

I'll take our "chaos" in the USA any day. But if it works for them and they're happy more power to them. Sorry have never been a fan of authoritarianism I don't mince my words or bite my tongue because it might offend someone.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:09 AM

4,705 posts, read 3,620,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I'll take our "chaos" in the USA any day. But if it works for them and they're happy more power to them. Sorry have never been a fan of authoritarianism I don't mince my words or bite my tongue because it might offend someone.
Who cares what you want for the US? This thread is about China.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:31 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Who cares what you want for the US? This thread is about China.
The title of the thread is CHINA-the worst country on earth - enter at your own risk!!!!!

That sort of a title is going to conjure up comparisons in addition my post was a response. I care what I want for the US. This sort of thread encourages comparisons and criticisms I will stop posting when I'm finished.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:37 AM

9,780 posts, read 13,368,018 times
I think that the US is authoritarian enough in its own right - Let's think about it for a second... an open oligarchy/elite ruling class, laws that require private citizens to buy into private entities with little-to-no oversight (insurance), for profit prison system, a punitive judicial system that levies fines for victimless "crimes," an overarmed, paramilitarized, and above-reproach civil police force...

These are simple realities, ones that exist separate from the realities of the Chinese governmental method. There is no harm whatsoever in comparing the two - you can compare anything if you feel like it, and to try to prevent people from doing so is insecure and childish.

As I see it, I feel safer walking down the street in China, but, it's pointless to try to act as though this place is a utopia or so much superior to anywhere else. Like anywhere else, it's got its problems, nearly all of which have already been laid out ad nauseum and aren't really worth repeating.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:06 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I think that the US is authoritarian enough in its own right - Let's think about it for a second... an open oligarchy/elite ruling class, laws that require private citizens to buy into private entities with little-to-no oversight (insurance), for profit prison system, a punitive judicial system that levies fines for victimless "crimes," an overarmed, paramilitarized, and above-reproach civil police force...

These are simple realities, ones that exist separate from the realities of the Chinese governmental method. There is no harm whatsoever in comparing the two - you can compare anything if you feel like it, and to try to prevent people from doing so is insecure and childish.

As I see it, I feel safer walking down the street in China, but, it's pointless to try to act as though this place is a utopia or so much superior to anywhere else. Like anywhere else, it's got its problems, nearly all of which have already been laid out ad nauseum and aren't really worth repeating.

It would make an interesting thread comparing authoritarianism in the USA vs China.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
The title of the thread is CHINA-the worst country on earth - enter at your own risk!!!!!

That sort of a title is going to conjure up comparisons in addition my post was a response. I care what I want for the US. This sort of thread encourages comparisons and criticisms I will stop posting when I'm finished.
You can do whatever you want until the cows come home. I am pointing out that, for this thread, it's irrelevant what you want for the US. It's about China and how awful and bad, supposedly, it is. Don't get touchy.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:44 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
You can do whatever you want until the cows come home. I am pointing out that, for this thread, it's irrelevant what you want for the US. It's about China and how awful and bad, supposedly, it is. Don't get touchy.
Awful and bad in comparison to what?(To put it into context). In response to post #60 by Vacanegro I stated "I'll take the "chaos" in the USA any day." "Sorry have never been a fan of authoritarian." It should have been evident that the main point was criticism of Chinese governments authoritarian sytem of governing it's population. Well in my opinion the focus in my post was criticism of China not on what I want for the USA.

Lol I'm not touchy however I was slightly annoyed at the time. You've stated your opinion and I've stated mine. What else is there to say on that point. I'm ready to move on.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:31 PM

2,980 posts, read 2,709,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

Nice to know that you feel safer walking down the street in China. I feel safer eating in a restaurant in the US, eating food at home that was produced in the US, and my cat feels safer when I feed her pet food made in the US.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Nice to know that you feel safer walking down the street in China. I feel safer eating in a restaurant in the US, eating food at home that was produced in the US, and my cat feels safer when I feed her pet food made in the US.
This is very true. China has come a long way, but it still has a very much third world institutional approach and more importantly third world attitude among its people. It's that 'ma ma hu hu" way of Chinese half arse effort and easy corruption that make China still very much a third world country that's rough around the edge. It's certainly not a first world nation in many important ways, especially in the quality of its people and in its institutions.

This directly lead to poor food safety oversight. I am careful eating Chinese food even in the US, going only to well regarded restaurants that are known for their cleanliness. I always read labels for food that I buy, and I will never ever buy anything made or grown in China that I would eat, or that I would give to my pets to eat...dogs, birds or even my goldfish. No food from China, ever.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Awful and bad in comparison to what?(To put it into context). In response to post #60 by Vacanegro I stated "I'll take the "chaos" in the USA any day." "Sorry have never been a fan of authoritarian." It should have been evident that the main point was criticism of Chinese governments authoritarian sytem of governing it's population. Well in my opinion the focus in my post was criticism of China not on what I want for the USA.

Lol I'm not touchy however I was slightly annoyed at the time. You've stated your opinion and I've stated mine. What else is there to say on that point. I'm ready to move on.
Ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia