U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 10:11 AM

328 posts, read 476,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNguyen View Post
This Thai King killed his brother to usurp the throne. It's a dirty secret most Thais don't know because it's a crime to speak ill of the King. I hope the people rise up and overthrow this illegitimate monarchy.
although there are many possible scenarios going forward, I can assure you that is not one of them. The King is absolutely revered in Thailand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 10:28 AM

8 posts, read 5,407 times
I daresay most of thai people love the king. Matt, what you said is just hearsay that is not true.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:11 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNguyen View Post
This Thai King killed his brother to usurp the throne. It's a dirty secret most Thais don't know because it's a crime to speak ill of the King. I hope the people rise up and overthrow this illegitimate monarchy.
Thai King is like Japanese Emperor with actual power.People love their king.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:38 PM

3,762 posts, read 3,800,940 times
Thais need to get off their asses. They've been complacent for far, far too long. South Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan were all on the same level as Thailand economically back in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. Thailand is now decades behind those countries in terms of development due to rampant corruption and greed. Thais are all about themselves, who cares about everyone else? That's why Thailand is still stuck as 2nd world status. The king is one of the biggest reasons why Thailand is still stuck as a poor 2nd world country, the monarchy has been suppressing development for the past 80 years in order to try to maintain the status quo and to try to continue to consolidate their power of the populus, which of course you are not allowed to discuss openly without being thrown in jail for the rest of your life. What are we, still in the 15th century? Thailand continues to move backwards while the world continues to pass them by by leaps and bounds.

You know Thailand is going down the drain when even country like Burma comes out and publicly says that they're worried about the political situation in Thailand.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:29 PM

10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Thais need to get off their asses. They've been complacent for far, far too long. South Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan were all on the same level as Thailand economically back in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. Thailand is now decades behind those countries in terms of development due to rampant corruption and greed.
Does South Korea, Singapore and Taiwan share 800-2100 km landborders with 3 of the poorest Asian countries East of Bangladesh

Old 05-24-2014, 08:15 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,330,169 times
This situation hurts Thailand. It's worrisome news.

Somehow I think Thailand will come out of it. Thailand has had government upheavals in the past 50 years and always manages to get back on it's footing.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Does South Korea, Singapore and Taiwan share 800-2100 km landborders with 3 of the poorest Asian countries East of Bangladesh
Neighbours are not excuses tbqh.South Korea has arguably one of the worst neighbor in the world,Israel is surrounded by some of the most hostile enemies,yet they are both thriving.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:38 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Neighbours are not excuses tbqh.South Korea has arguably one of the worst neighbor in the world,Israel is surrounded by some of the most hostile enemies,yet they are both thriving.
It's not that hard to be thriving when your biggest fan is the most powerful on planet earth

Old 05-25-2014, 03:12 AM

Well it's not like the US hates Thailand or anything.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:45 AM

5,090 posts, read 8,064,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
I have been to Thailand many times and have even been considering retiring there. This announcement of a coup has given me some pause.
The Army general who took over stated that all "foreigners will be safe." The heck? I assumed that would go with out saying - so why does he even have to mention it?

So boots on the ground reports to me indicate:
-- The baht has lost a little ground to the dollar (32.5).
-- There is a10 p.m. curfew -- thus all bars closed at 10 p.m. Even in Pattaya.
-- western television channels have been shut off.
Currency exchange rates
A few days ago it was around 29+ baht to the US dollar. Currently. it's at 32.54 baht to the dollar. That's about where it's been for quite a while.

Curfew
That's not unexpected as presumably the idea is to prevent hostile groups, not to mention thugs, from moving weapons into the city under the cover of darkness as well as prevent the possibility of looting. While the bars may be closing earlier, people still manage to creatively entertain themselves.

Western television channels
As I understand all the Thai channels are now operating except for True TV. Some parts of the country are still having reception problems, but that should be resolved soon. Most of the programming has been movies and soaps. I would expect most, if no all "western television channels" (cable programming) will be back to normal nationwide soon so foreigners can get their daily fix again on western sports, Syfy channel, CNN or BBC news, and various reality shows. Um, okay. To me that's like going to Thailand so you can eat at McD or KFC.

BTW, the internet has continued functioning all along (I get email from there almost daily), telephone service is still working, and satellite and most cable tv is still available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
This is a relatively prosperous country that is having difficulties with constitutional democracy. The political stalemate there seems unsolvable. The question is whether the political instability will affect travel and foreign investment in the country.
I don't think there much question that a prolonged problem can have an impact on the economy, especially income from tourism. However, in the past, the protest a few years back that occupied the international airport brought the airport to a close for a while. And the recent flood took its toll on the economy. The country managed to spring back once things settled down. I suspect it will do the same once the political squabbling has been resolved.

Keep in mind that most of the military presence is in BKK because that's where most of the problems have occured. There is a military presence in cities elsewhere around the country, but not that much. The political fighting in BKK had escalated to the point of senseless injuries and deaths from one side or the other shooting guns, lobbing grenades, etc., into crowds causing harm to innocent people at protest sites. It doesn't take a great stretch of the imagination to see where that kind of activity would lead if left unchecked.

The red and yellow shirts were given an opportunity to meet together to come to a mutual agreement in order to resolve the problems. They left the meeting with no agreement. So how do you resolve things under such circumstances? Just let it fester and get worse?

I think it's also worth noting that for the vast majority of the country, outside of the big cities, life is still going on as usual.

So what's the solution for the average tourist? For the most part, tourists that are currently in Thailand are able to see things and visit places. The downside is that the night life and bars shut down early. I suspect the supermarkets and 7-11's are seeing brisk sales on beer. I understand that the skytrain is packed more than usual, so that can be an issue for some people, even though they can still catch a ride with buses, taxis, and tuk-tuks. Traffic is a problem at some major highways and intersections, but one can generally avoid getting stuck in a traffic jams by taking other routes. If tense problems arise in certain parts of the city, tourists should stay away from those areas to avoid getting caught in the middle of a nasty situation. Even so, like the flood, it's not like the entire city of BKK is at risk.

Part of the problem for tourism, isn't so much that Thailand, and BKK in particular, is a bad situation. The problem is an internal domestic political one. Other governments that are advising their own citizens to avoid traveling to Thailand unless it's necessary, I suppose is with the idea as a way to apply political pressure on Thailand to get things settled. Regardless, that sort of thing can give people the impression that the entire country is dangerous, which is complete nonsense. Admittedly, I don't think the Thai military is exactly providing a greatest image to the international press though, and the political climate does need to be resolved. If history is any indicator of how things will eventually turn out, it'll be that things will work out and settle down. But for now, it makes for big headlines in the press.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia