Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:30 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times

Advertisements

Two rules for government change in Thailand:

1. Don't mess with the King. You mess with the King, and you lose any support you may have had from the people.

2. Don't mess with foreigners. Tourism brings a LOT of money to Thailand. Don't want to scare the tourists away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 07:40 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
If I were Yingluck I would call the military's bluff and threaten to turn Thailand into another Myanmar. Lets see if the Thai elite would like that.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:42 AM

327 posts, read 569,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
If I were Yingluck I would call the military's bluff and threaten to turn Thailand into another Myanmar. Lets see if the Thai elite would like that.

can you elaborate a bit? How could she do that?

Old 05-23-2014, 08:13 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,992 times
I've read dozens of internet posts on this and the opinions seem to be the same - it's a good idea because of the immense amount of corruption in the current government.

They also fear the growing uprising of Muslims in the south supported by groups based in Indonesia.

An acquaintance from Thailand says he thinks its a good thing and will stabilize problems going on for many years.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:12 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Sorry but she just got arrested....
Omg things are really getting scary.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:45 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
can you elaborate a bit? How could she do that?
By telling the military to take a hike and daring them to send her to jail.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:38 PM

327 posts, read 569,020 times
Quote:
By telling the military to take a hike and daring them to send her to jail.
well the latest news is that she has been arrested is and being held in an undisclosed location - so maybe she did just that. (And I think this is exactly what the Thai elite wanted; it remains to be seen how her Red Shirt supporters will respond).
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27544972

Old 05-23-2014, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 980 times
Poll shows over 75 percent of the people support martial law

More than 75 percent of the people surveyed by Suan Dusit Poll agreed with the martial law.
Suan Dusit Poll of Ratchabhat University’s Suan Dusit campus conducted an opinion survey from a total of 1,264 people during May 20-21. The results of the survey are as follows:

- 50.93 percent said the martial law would help ease the tensioin and the army are capable of controlling the situation and preventing confrontation.

- 25.75 percent believe that martial law is a way out of the conflict and the people will feel more secured.

- 11.49 percent are worried because the martial law may affect their livelihood and render inconvenience to their travelling.

- 7.14 percent are concerned that the martial law will impact on the country’s image and stability.

- 4.66 percent are afraid that the special law may provoke resistance which may lead to more violence.

The poll showed that 75.95 percent agreed with the martial law because it would help prevent violence and people feel more secured whereas 12.34 percent said that with or without martial law the political conflict would not be resolved and protests would continue as normal.

The 11.71 percent who opposed the law said that the martial law was unjustified because there was no riot or serious violence to justify the imposition of the law. Moreover, the law will give a false impression that a coup has taken place.

Credit: Poll shows over 75 percent of the people support martial law | Thai PBS English News

Old 05-24-2014, 03:04 AM

12 posts, read 9,702 times
Martial law is different from the coup and I think the poll is not comprehensively made and it is made for the martial law only, we can't say the same to the coup. The majority of thai people wants to vote and mostly are against the coup.

As a matter of course, martial law should be performed under control and approval of the government, but It's so weird in Thailand the Army overpower the government, and they finally committed the coup, shamelessly usurping power from the thai people.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:45 AM

151 posts, read 258,188 times
This Thai King killed his brother to usurp the throne. It's a dirty secret most Thais don't know because it's a crime to speak ill of the King. I hope the people rise up and overthrow this illegitimate monarchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia