U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2014, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,299 posts, read 3,397,810 times
Reputation: 2035

Advertisements

is being bullied by its big brother.

China Sinking Fishing Vessel Raises Tensions With Vietnam - Bloomberg

... among other incidents.

Here's my advice to Vietnam, develop nukes or let your sovereignty be stomped to the ground and become a vassal of the PRC.

Unlike S. Korea, Japan, and the Philippines, they can't rely on the US for military aid.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 05-27-2014 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2014, 04:58 PM
 
4,687 posts, read 3,614,137 times
Reputation: 7382
Bull! The Vietnamese occupy more than 20 islands in the SCS, while the PRC only has 8 or 9. They stole those islands while China was weak, and now they are whining and asking for sympathies when they are getting spanked. The Xisha has been under Chinese control after the South Viets were beatened in 1974. Now the bietcongs want the world to help them when China decides to send a pricey rig into the area? give me a break.

If the Viets even begin to develop nukes, and that is assuming they actually can...they will be invaded and neutralized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2014, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,299 posts, read 3,397,810 times
Reputation: 2035
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Bull! The Vietnamese occupy more than 20 islands in the SCS, while the PRC only has 8 or 9. They stole those islands while China was weak, and now they are whining and asking for sympathies when they are getting spanked. The Xisha has been under Chinese control after the South Viets were beatened in 1974. Now the bietcongs want the world to help them when China decides to send a pricey rig into the area? give me a break.

If the Viets even begin to develop nukes, and that is assuming they actually can...they will be invaded and neutralized.
The hive-mind has spoken. Way to validate the concerns of the neighbors of the PRC! Denizens of East and Southeast Asia, kow tow to your future overlord!

Last edited by TylerJAX; 05-27-2014 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2014, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
143 posts, read 152,330 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Bull! The Vietnamese occupy more than 20 islands in the SCS, while the PRC only has 8 or 9. They stole those islands while China was weak, and now they are whining and asking for sympathies when they are getting spanked. The Xisha has been under Chinese control after the South Viets were beatened in 1974. Now the bietcongs want the world to help them when China decides to send a pricey rig into the area? give me a break.

If the Viets even begin to develop nukes, and that is assuming they actually can...they will be invaded and neutralized.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^The Chinese troll has spoken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2014, 11:19 PM
 
1,378 posts, read 1,814,488 times
Reputation: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
is being bullied by its big brother.

China Sinking Fishing Vessel Raises Tensions With Vietnam - Bloomberg

... among other incidents.

Here's my advice to Vietnam, develop nukes or let your sovereignty be stomped to the ground and become a vassal of the PRC.

Unlike S. Korea, Japan, and the Philippines, they can't rely on the US for military aid.
Is this really the US's problem? What does it really matter if Vietnam falls to the Chinese hegemony? It seems like the US ended up vanquishing one foe in WWII to replace it with another. To be honest maybe the US should withdraw from Asia since it seems to be impossible for them to ever achieve hegemony there. They got rid of Imperial Japan and replaced them with Communist China and I highly doubt a democratic China would be pro Western or pro American so why bother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 12:03 AM
 
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
143 posts, read 152,330 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Is this really the US's problem? What does it really matter if Vietnam falls to the Chinese hegemony? It seems like the US ended up vanquishing one foe in WWII to replace it with another. To be honest maybe the US should withdraw from Asia since it seems to be impossible for them to ever achieve hegemony there. They got rid of Imperial Japan and replaced them with Communist China and I highly doubt a democratic China would be pro Western or pro American so why bother?

I don't see this is an US problem. It is more of business and political opportunities for US to sell millitary hardware to countries which are in conflicted with China and to include them in the Anglosphere. The Sinosphere is not expanding at any time soon with all these "provocative" actions from China. With Japan and India coming to play the roles, it will create more of a hindrance of the Sinosphere expansion. To replace a low wage factory of the world (China) with another place like Vietnam, Laos, or any other ASEAN country. These are the interests that US/Japan/EU are looking into now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 12:27 AM
 
1,378 posts, read 1,814,488 times
Reputation: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPKS View Post
I don't see this is an US problem. It is more of business and political opportunities for US to sell millitary hardware to countries which are in conflicted with China and to include them in the Anglosphere. The Sinosphere is not expanding at any time soon with all these "provocative" actions from China. With Japan and India coming to play the roles, it will create more of a hindrance of the Sinosphere expansion. To replace a low wage factory of the world (China) with another place like Vietnam, Laos, or any other ASEAN country. These are the interests that US/Japan/EU are looking into now.
The literacy rate and infrastructure for those ASEAN countries you mentioned are a nightmare so don't expect those countries to replace China anytime soon. Japan and India barely have any defense relations with one another and one big hindrance that Japan has is that their economy is becoming more reliant on trade with China and China has played hard ball with them by denying them access to certain markets. Chinese citizens have also played hard ball by boycotting Japanese products.

One big reason why China is the low wage factory of the world is because China requires companies to transfer technology and open factories and provide jobs in exchange for access to its market. They have and will deny access to certain participants if they don't play by their rules. It is easier said than done to move jobs out of China and one of the reasons for the tech transfers is because the Chinese know it will probably happen in the future and they want to build domestic companies with the transferred tech so that they can expel foreign companies that don't play by their rules in the future. Most foreign companies are pretty greedy though so most do play by China's rules without considering the future consequences of their actions.

I also don't think China wants to expand the Sinosphere, to me it seems like it wants to expel the US from the Western Pacific more than expand its own influence. In 50 years, it probably will happen since the US will probably be bogged down by domestic problems and the more liberal Democratic base (the country is becoming less white so it is becoming more liberal) will probably want to retreat back home and focus on domestic issues. To me it seems like this is one of the bigger ironies in history, the US went to war with Imperial Japan only to bring a country to power that will eventually accomplish Imperial Japan's goal (become the dominant power in the Western Pacific with no American influence).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 12:42 AM
 
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
143 posts, read 152,330 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
The literacy rate and infrastructure for those ASEAN countries you mentioned are a nightmare so don't expect those countries to replace China anytime soon. Japan and India barely have any defense relations with one another and one big hindrance that Japan has is that their economy is becoming more reliant on trade with China and China has played hard ball with them by denying them access to certain markets. Chinese citizens have also played hard ball by boycotting Japanese products.

One big reason why China is the low wage factory of the world is because China requires companies to transfer technology and open factories and provide jobs in exchange for access to its market. They have and will deny access to certain participants if they don't play by their rules. It is easier said than done to move jobs out of China and one of the reasons for the tech transfers is because the Chinese know it will probably happen in the future and they want to build domestic companies with the transferred tech so that they can expel foreign companies that don't play by their rules in the future. Most foreign companies are pretty greedy though so most do play by China's rules without considering the future consequences of their actions.

I also don't think China wants to expand the Sinosphere, to me it seems like it wants to expel the US from the Western Pacific more than expand its own influence. In 50 years, it probably will happen since the US will probably be bogged down by domestic problems and the more liberal Democratic base (the country is becoming less white so it is becoming more liberal) will probably want to retreat back home and focus on domestic issues. To me it seems like this is one of the bigger ironies in history, the US went to war with Imperial Japan only to bring a country to power that will eventually accomplish Imperial Japan's goal (become the dominant power in the Western Pacific with no American influence).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I can sense the resentment and the bias in your reply. I don't care much for US and Chinese politics anyway. Speaking from a business perspective, the mighty dollars triumpth common senses or decency any time and any place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 06:20 AM
 
1,434 posts, read 2,117,211 times
Reputation: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Bull! The Vietnamese occupy more than 20 islands in the SCS, while the PRC only has 8 or 9. They stole those islands while China was weak, and now they are whining and asking for sympathies when they are getting spanked. The Xisha has been under Chinese control after the South Viets were beatened in 1974. Now the bietcongs want the world to help them when China decides to send a pricey rig into the area? give me a break.

If the Viets even begin to develop nukes, and that is assuming they actually can...they will be invaded and neutralized.


And your point? The same applies for Tibet and Inner Mongolia. If China can actively assist North Korea and Pakistan with nukes, what makes you think we won't park nukes on Vietnam's border
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 06:35 AM
 
4,687 posts, read 3,614,137 times
Reputation: 7382
Who is "we"? I am not against the US, but it's this type of arrogant talk out of the wron end bravado that always gets the US in trouble. This issues in the SCS is a Chinese and SE Asian issue. It has nothing to do with the US.

Tibet and Inner Mongolia are both part sof China. So you can keep dreaming, but they dont really figure in any serious discussion about the SCS.

If youw want to do some wetdreaming, then both Vanezuala and Cuba would also like to have some old but still usable DF 41s parked on their territories too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top