U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 02:39 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,012,935 times

Advertisements

Filipino pop station DJs always have very good quasi-American accents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du6Xgo0VmXA

They need to be working in the call centers, or training call center workers. But maybe they make more money being DJs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 02:40 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,148,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Sorry, while RP is posh, I don't find Singlish posh at all. Even the S'pore gahmen does not think so. I don't find the Singaporean accent to be that easy to understand. I find it odd that Singlish speakers seem to use lah even more than if one is speaking Hokkien. Also the machine-gun style rhythm is not very pleasant to the ears. It surely has some type of Indian influence... aside from Indians, I've encountered Singaporeans who say "do the needful"!
In Indonesia we use "lah" that's sometimes pronounced as "la without h" quiet a lot too, provided Indonesian language was heavily based on Batavianese Malay language that once was populated by Hokkien dominated Chinese community

Old 05-30-2014, 02:41 AM

371 posts, read 285,137 times
Never been to Jakarta personally, but from what I can tell in my travels in Singapore and Manila, they are worlds apart, and I just can't see Manila overtaking Singapore.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:41 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,672,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Funny you say that. I was traveling with a group, and the Danish said she actually found my accent and another Australian's EASIER to understand than the British people in our group. Go figure.

Tsaowl? Where does the 's' come from? Maybe it's your hearing? lol
RP is not difficult to understand, but British includes other accents like Welsh, Scottish and Cockney. Maybe we can ask you to say "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain." A lot of Australian actors in Hollywood have such neutral accents that they are hardly recognizable as Australian. I find Steve Irwin's Australian accent more difficult to understand, but since I've watched a lot of his shows, just got somewhat used to it already.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Filipino pop station DJs always have very good quasi-American accents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du6Xgo0VmXA

They need to be working in the call centers, or training call center workers. But maybe they make more money being DJs
Well Indonesian who goes to international school tend to have very Americanized English as well, but i think its pretty similar with Filipinos who went to that kind of school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
RP is not difficult to understand, but British includes other accents like Welsh, Scottish and Cockney. Maybe we can ask you to say "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain." A lot of Australian actors in Hollywood have such neutral accents that they are hardly recognizable as Australian. I find Steve Irwin's Australian accent more difficult to understand, but since I've watched a lot of his shows, just got somewhat used to it already.
Heavy Welsh, Irish and lower class English cockney/coldblimy (derived from god-made-me) accent is toughest too understand, Afrikaaners and Kiwis too.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Well Indonesian who goes to international school tend to have very Americanized English as well, but i think its pretty similar with Filipinos who went to that kind of school.

Heavy Welsh, Irish and lower class English coldblimy (derived from god-made-me) accent is toughest too understand, Afrikaaners and Kiwis too.
Well, usually the only way I can tell Filipinos and Indonesians apart is when they speak. Even if Indonesians speak really good English, they have a different accent from Filipinos. I was watching a BBC documentary about Manila (it's not on youtube anymore unfortunately) and they interviewed some big business guy. He looked Filipino, he was speaking English, but I was thinking that something was off about him. It was his accent, and I searched his name and surely enough he was Indonesian

Old 05-30-2014, 02:58 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,274,548 times
Why do so many threads have to end up Into a discussion about accents somehow ?

I see a lot of dissing of Singapore accent, but well it is unique and debatable .. Some like it , some don't ..

Anyway I have been speaking with Singapore accent , so face it ..

Old 05-30-2014, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Well, usually the only way I can tell Filipinos and Indonesians apart is when they speak. Even if Indonesians speak really good English, they have a different accent from Filipinos. I was watching a BBC documentary about Manila (it's not on youtube anymore unfortunately) and they interviewed some big business guy. He looked Filipino, he was speaking English, but I was thinking that something was off about him. It was his accent, and I searched his name and surely enough he was Indonesian
Of course different accent is there obviously, since we both have different mother language and yes the Filipinos one to me sounds more American way more as compared to Indonesian who occasionally retained their distinctiveness.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:30 PM

2,129 posts, read 2,914,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I was reading the last few pages of this thread and couldn't understand it either. To a regular White American / English, you're all speaking with accent, so nobody is above anyone whatever accent you have.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post

I see a lot of dissing of Singapore accent, but well it is unique and debatable .. Some like it , some don't ..

Anyway I have been speaking with Singapore accent , so face it ..
as if all your threads arent about the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia