U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 02:45 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,275,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
as if all your threads arent about the same thing.
This is a thread I have created and it is about Manila and jarkarta, nothing to do with anti foreigner sentiment in Singapore

I also made another thread about more and more cases of naked people in public places in Singapore ..

So well I agree maybe 80% of my thread are related to how xenophobic Singaporeans are, but not All
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 04:19 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,276,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Sorry, while RP is posh, I don't find Singlish posh at all. Even the S'pore gahmen does not think so. I don't find the Singaporean accent to be that easy to understand. I find it odd that Singlish speakers seem to use lah even more than if one is speaking Hokkien. Also the machine-gun style rhythm is not very pleasant to the ears. It surely has some type of Indian influence... aside from Indians, I've encountered Singaporeans who say "do the needful"!
Lah comes from Malay. Balinese do it too when speaking English, and of course Malays.

No, in some ways it's not my favourite either, but I'm saying some Singaporeans try to sound more posh, listen to the news or something there. It was originally the British who took Singaporeans how to speak English, so naturally there are features of RP in there, while it was mostly Americans who taught Filipinos English.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:23 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,276,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
RP is not difficult to understand, but British includes other accents like Welsh, Scottish and Cockney. Maybe we can ask you to say "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain." A lot of Australian actors in Hollywood have such neutral accents that they are hardly recognizable as Australian. I find Steve Irwin's Australian accent more difficult to understand, but since I've watched a lot of his shows, just got somewhat used to it already.
It's not. Well Australian isn't as commonly heard as British or American, but it's a native accent and has a more natural stress than Filipino accent. Not that I find the Filipino accent that hard to understand, but the overwhelmingly rhoticism (even more than American) can put me off. Then again I'm attuned to accents, so I don't know if the average person can understand them as well.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:13 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,015,596 times
I agree with that the British influence makes Singapore sound more posh but Filipino newscasters sound posh as well, mostly because they enunciate a lot more than Americans would

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErjkXfgVL7g

and another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAVgv8C2zX8

In both Singapore English and Filipino English there are posh forms and not posh words like Singlish and Taglish

Old 05-30-2014, 06:21 PM

2,300 posts, read 3,402,804 times
I'm not sure what's worse, debating ad nauseum about accents or a journalistic segment praising Suze Orman. lol

Old 05-30-2014, 06:26 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,015,596 times
^ well, Filipinos could use the financial advice

Old 05-30-2014, 10:20 PM

1,024 posts, read 900,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
Never been to Jakarta personally, but from what I can tell in my travels in Singapore and Manila, they are worlds apart, and I just can't see Manila overtaking Singapore.
Whatever it is on your thought, is totally out of topic. The topic is about being global city in the future.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:25 PM

621 posts, read 384,984 times
Its possible, Jakarta and Manila are two of the most emerging cities in Asia which has the potentials to rival the more prominent East Asian powerhouses. The only question is when would it be?

Old 05-30-2014, 11:30 PM

3 posts, read 3,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Its possible, Jakarta and Manila are two of the most emerging cities in Asia which has the potentials to rival the more prominent East Asian powerhouses. The only question is when would it be?
Agree with you

Old 05-31-2014, 02:10 AM

1,024 posts, read 900,347 times
One of the reasons why they use Singapore as comparison is the sizeable market of Jakarta and Manila that dwarfs Singapore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia