U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 09:31 PM

5 posts, read 5,252 times

Advertisements

Do not let the architecture in North Korea's capital city of Pyongyang convince you. Vacationing in North Korea is very much similar to vacationing in a supermaximum security prison. There is zero freedom of movement, speech, you name it, cell phones are prohibited inside the country, blackouts are a daily occurance even in Downtown Pyongyang, the water in North Korea is terrible, as are hygiene conditions. The Kim family (Kim Il-Sung, Kim Jong-Il, and Kim Jong-Un) have proven themselves as nothing but blunt, iron fisted dictators, twisted and consumed by evil. Also, never, ever, under any circumstances whatsoever relocate to North Korea at all! Outside Pyongyang is nothing but endless poverty, filth and disease, hellish gulags where people and up to 3 generations of their families are worked, tortured, and beaten to death, and no help whatsoever, from coast to coast, all the way north to the China border, and all the way south to the DMZ.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 09:38 PM

2,299 posts, read 3,397,810 times
I had to stop myself from saying something really snarky like "Thank you Captain Obvious."

Just about every semi-informed person knows the dangers of traveling to N. Korea.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:47 PM

10,424 posts, read 12,419,193 times
But Syria, Yemen, Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan are no problem right

Old 05-28-2014, 12:56 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,606,089 times
Thousands of Chinese travel to north Korea every year. Nothing bad happened. It is zillion times safer for tourists than most European countries.

Of course you have to be a real tourist not some priest trying to do human trafficking.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:00 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,357,013 times
Two friends of mine, an American and an English gal, went to NK on a tour from Dalian a few weeks ago and made it back OK. Any Westerner who goes is going to be on a scripted tour and will not be privvy to or at risk of the negative effects of NK oppression.

Kenneth Bae was dumb, being familiar with NK laws and thinking that because he had a good working relationship with them, he could push his religious agenda. Does the punishment fit the crime? Of course not. But, he sure was stupid. The veteran who was detained a few months ago was naive, and drawn by the recent invitation of American veterans to the site of a downed American fighter plane. There's a difference between being invited on a PR mission and going there solo and admitting you were one of the people they refer to as "devils."

TBH i'll probably go to NK myself in.a few months, if nothing else so I can be one of the very few people outside it who's actually been.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:18 AM

6,774 posts, read 5,122,827 times
I've heard from Taiwanese people that have been to North Korea,and to be quite honest there wasn't anything dangerous about it if you were traveling by groups(tourists can only travel in NK by groups iirc.Correct me if I'm wrong) and being all tourist-y,you don't need to worry about robbery AT ALL,and North Koreans won't kidnap you.There were some scary cases that Japanese were abducted by N. Koreans,but we haven't heard anything like that for a long time.

That being said,they didn't particularly enjoy their trip to N. Korea either because frankly there weren't many things to offer over there,but safety is not really a problem.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:26 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,459,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Thousands of Chinese travel to north Korea every year. Nothing bad happened. It is zillion times safer for tourists than most European countries.

Of course you have to be a real tourist not some priest trying to do human trafficking.
i think the NK tour would be one of the safest holidays you could ever take, unless you were stupid enough to speak out about the great leader that is.

However even the one day DMZ tour drove me a bit crazy, wear this, do this, don't do that, look this way, lining up like school children etc etc. I don't think I could stand a whole week of it.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:04 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post

You're not serious, are you?

Most European countries are as safe as they get...

NK is generally safe, if you're on a tour, but one false move...

Old 05-28-2014, 09:08 AM

6,774 posts, read 5,122,827 times
^I think he was serious.They are always serious.

I get what he meant though,I think he meant that you wouldn't meet any robbery or assault,let alone violent crime while visiting NK,while in European big cities like Paris or Rome,pickpockets happen all the time.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:09 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,172,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
You're not serious, are you?

Most European countries are as safe as they get...

NK is generally safe, if you're on a tour, but one false move...
He's talking about being a victim of crime in North Korea is closer to 0 than in Europe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia