U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2014, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,144,521 times
Reputation: 219

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mien View Post
I am wondering do they even allow tourist to get in the country freely? Even if you can get in, do they let you get out freely?
As a tourist not so much, but as diplomat you can pretty much go anywhere around pyongyang and they even have church and mosque there for the diplomats. The supermarkets are also filled with goods, unlike many western propaganda video who travelled there as tourist and talk like its really bad in there.

Well atleast the new leader there does improve stuff for the people by a little, but thats limited to the capital. I read about indonesian diplomat who lived in nk for few years in kaskus forum (indonesian most famous forum), the impression i got is that things arent as bad as western media claim, except the human right issue. And yes they do have internet there, but limit certain things that the people can access like china did.

There is pyongyang restaurant in jakarta too lol in gandaria citymall and its directly under the nk govt, the workers are all north koreans, nearby gandaria is where korean expat live most both south and north, although north koreans are mostly limited to diplomat family. North koreans however are afraid to contact the southerners or befriend them, because that could get their family killed. (And yes many said they prefer living in jakarta lol for obvious reason, but in general they still say good things about their country) ohh and lots of these north koreans upper class family have iphone and samsung too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2014, 05:38 PM
 
76 posts, read 261,901 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
As a tourist not so much, but as diplomat you can pretty much go anywhere around pyongyang and they even have church and mosque there for the diplomats. The supermarkets are also filled with goods, unlike many western propaganda video who travelled there as tourist and talk like its really bad in there.

Well atleast the new leader there does improve stuff for the people by a little, but thats limited to the capital. I read about indonesian diplomat who lived in nk for few years in kaskus forum (indonesian most famous forum), the impression i got is that things arent as bad as western media claim, except the human right issue. And yes they do have internet there, but limit certain things that the people can access like china did.

There is pyongyang restaurant in jakarta too lol in gandaria citymall and its directly under the nk govt, the workers are all north koreans, nearby gandaria is where korean expat live most both south and north, although north koreans are mostly limited to diplomat family. North koreans however are afraid to contact the southerners or befriend them, because that could get their family killed. (And yes many said they prefer living in jakarta lol for obvious reason, but in general they still say good things about their country) ohh and lots of these north koreans upper class family have iphone and samsung too.
Interesting, it seem that N.Koreans who able to made it out of N.Korea tent to be upper class of diplomat family.

Btw, what is your opinion about the current leader of N.Korea compare to his father? Does he improve quality of life of N.Korean more than what his father did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2014, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,144,521 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mien View Post
Interesting, it seem that N.Koreans who able to made it out of N.Korea tent to be upper class of diplomat family.

Btw, what is your opinion about the current leader of N.Korea compare to his father? Does he improve quality of life of N.Korean more than what his father did?
Of course and the various Pyongyang restaurant they have lol, but most of these people are tested before they were sent outside of NK. You are Vietnamese if i recall right? they also have Pyongyang restaurant in Hanoi, Saigon and Danang if you are interested in seeing North Koreans, its quiet pricey there but they will gave you full Korean style entertainment.

Idk much about how much it actually improves in there, but compared to his father he is slightly more open to westernism, he build several public facilities in the capital. (which the people then cry for, because he build this and this and so on.) And the crime rate of the country is extremely low too.

If you want you can translate these, from the forum itself: Sepertinya cuma ane aja Kaskuser yang di KORUT | Kaskus - The Largest Indonesian Community

I was surprised how much they import things from Indonesia too lol, and the good things is that he is unbiased to the western side only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2014, 11:39 PM
JL
 
7,351 posts, read 11,877,440 times
Reputation: 7198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Of course and the various Pyongyang restaurant they have lol, but most of these people are tested before they were sent outside of NK. You are Vietnamese if i recall right? they also have Pyongyang restaurant in Hanoi, Saigon and Danang if you are interested in seeing North Koreans, its quiet pricey there but they will gave you full Korean style entertainment.

Idk much about how much it actually improves in there, but compared to his father he is slightly more open to westernism, he build several public facilities in the capital. (which the people then cry for, because he build this and this and so on.) And the crime rate of the country is extremely low too.

If you want you can translate these, from the forum itself: Sepertinya cuma ane aja Kaskuser yang di KORUT | Kaskus - The Largest Indonesian Community

I was surprised how much they import things from Indonesia too lol, and the good things is that he is unbiased to the western side only.

Yeah, lots of S.Koreans live in Saigon, so this restaurant is a good way for the S. Koreans to escape from the Vietnamese life...at least for a few hours...some lovely ladies


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BDLHqUt078
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2014, 12:11 AM
 
Location: Western Oregon
1,379 posts, read 1,274,366 times
Reputation: 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Yeah, lots of S.Koreans live in Saigon, so this restaurant is a good way for the S. Koreans to escape from the Vietnamese life...at least for a few hours...some lovely ladies


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BDLHqUt078

Hahaaaa funny chit and nice video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top