U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 04:35 AM

4,684 posts, read 3,613,254 times

Advertisements

HK has outlived its use for China. It may retain its quaint historical persona as a British enclave, but it will steadily decline economically. That is the historical trend...can't fight it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 04:40 AM

1 posts, read 656 times
Default Beautiful Tourist destination

Honk Kong is one of the popular tourist attractions in the world. This county is loaded with numerous tourist attractions and pilgrimage centers that draw travelers from all over the world. Tourism is major business in this country.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:54 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,241,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
HK has outlived its use for China. It may retain its quaint historical persona as a British enclave, but it will steadily decline economically. That is the historical trend...can't fight it.
Well it will remain an SAR for another 30 years or so, it still has a global prestige the rest of China does not.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:18 AM

4,684 posts, read 3,613,254 times
This county is loaded with numerous tourist attractions ...

It's not a country, not even a city-state. It's a self ruled region of China. As for prestige, that's fine, until it's passe. Who cares?

Old 06-02-2014, 10:52 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,121,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
This county is loaded with numerous tourist attractions ...

It's not a country, not even a city-state. It's a self ruled region of China. As for prestige, that's fine, until it's passe. Who cares?
Apparently HKers care.It's their home.

All you guys(aka the Chinese nationalists)think about is how powerful China has been and the "incredible" GDP performance of your "country" where you yourselves don't even want to live,and keep badmouthing Western countries,where most of you currently live.Yet you all have the face to jump right on people's throats and yell things like "Taiwan belongs to China","Who cares about HK or Macau?","US is such a big bully" blahblahblah.

I don't even think it's right to call you Chinese nationalists because nationalists would probably care about the their own compatriots,however you all seem like you want nothing to deal with the disturbing issues and serious problems of your own country.As if China is so bright and shiny and has no dark sides.

Stop acting like some 3rd graders,really.

Btw I wonder why there isn't anyone from HK sharing his/her personal experience as a HKer.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:16 PM

110 posts, read 106,710 times
I have to see Hongkong with almost more than half of its population are from Mainland China...

Old 06-02-2014, 11:30 PM

164 posts, read 219,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

All you guys(aka the Chinese nationalists)think about is how powerful China has been and the "incredible" GDP performance of your "country" where you yourselves don't even want to live,and keep badmouthing Western countries,where most of you currently live.Yet you all have the face to jump right on people's throats and yell things like "Taiwan belongs to China","Who cares about HK or Macau?","US is such a big bully" blahblahblah.

I don't even think it's right to call you Chinese nationalists because nationalists would probably care about the their own compatriots,however you all seem like you want nothing to deal with the disturbing issues and serious problems of your own country.As if China is so bright and shiny and has no dark sides.

Btw I wonder why there isn't anyone from HK sharing his/her personal experience as a HKer.

I knew a famous scholar have a famous quote about certain people: As long as they cannot argue with you, they will label you as "nationalist" or "fascist" to be on moral high ground..It is a wild attack, but not work at all...It is just like Elliot Rodger like blonde girls, but he did not dare to compete with guys for a girl. China's coming back will question the western ideology and swallow far-right patriots' pride. Whatever your point is, most western countries won't want China to be a prosperity country on earth. They want to control Asia and let Asians work hard for cheap goods to them.

By the way, Chinese have high favor rate over German people, on the other hand, German people has a significant lower favor rate over China. Generally speaking, Chinese people are kind and respect for foreigners, while western people have no respect for Chinese. Elliot Rodger is also a victim. It is not about manner and behavior. The only reason is Chinese will regain their pride in the future and some people like you cannot accept it. Your living standard will decline if China continue to grow like this rate.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:40 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,121,205 times
You are totally missing the point.I did not say a word about China's prosperity is a bad thing,I really don't care.It was specifically toward the several Chinese posters that don't even live in China,including you,yet all you guys post about are some completely ignorant comments like "who cares about Hong Kong?" "Who cares about Taiwan","who cares about Tibet" and keep bragging about how great China is.

Apparently I'm not the only one here that thinks this way.You said that Westerners don't like Chinese?Check out yourselves,it's really no surprise.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:51 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,669,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

Two years ago, there were large protests in HK. That was the only time when all of my facebook friends who were HK natives were joining the protests. It was about the introduction of Chinese patriotism into the school curriculum in HK. Protesters alleged that the new lessons included statements like the Communist Party is progressive, selfless and united. I'll leave it to others how effective this type of "brainwashing" (term used by protesters, I did not conjure this up) is.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:08 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,669,089 times
Cities to compare with HK have often been Singapore and Shanghai. Tokyo has a much larger population and is the capital of a country with a very high GDP/very large economy. All cities in SE Asia with the exception of Singapore will still be poorer by almost all measures in five years compared to Hong Kong. No way will Manila, Jakarta or Ho Chi Minh City be able to overtake HK in ten years. They're all still rife with corruption and politically not that stable. I even doubt if Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur can do it in 10 years, considering both (especially Thailand) are also politically not that stable (relatively).

HK has always been Singapore's rival, but recently, its status as a part of China certainly affects it. I still generally feel that tax rates are lower in HK and it has a freer economy and people get more freedom compared to Singapore, but then there is always China whose promise is to maintain the status quo for 50 years after the handover. This has often caused people to consider Singapore as the alternative if close business ties with China is not seen as beneficial or required. However, if Singapore will implement more restrictions on foreign business there due to xenophobia or if they change the PAP government which is seen as "stable" abroad, then a lot of the businesses will move to HK. A lot of businesses move from HK to Singapore due to the 1997 handover, but if HK proves it's still a better place, those businesses will move back to HK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or