U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2014, 04:22 PM
 
501 posts, read 462,326 times
Reputation: 748

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgz View Post
I agree with you that your model working very well in NYC or London. Unfortunately, HK is not London/NYC. United States is a 16 trillion dollar economy, but US have only ONE hub like new york city. However, China has over 9 trillion dollar economy, but they have Taipei, Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen.
This isn't true. The Chicago mercantile exchange, one of the large commodities exchanges on the planet, is in Chicago. The Chicago Board of Trade is the largest trader of derivatives in the country. The largest oil futures market is the Intercontinental Exchange located in Atlanta, Georgia. Many of the largest banks in the US, including Bank of America, are headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Global Financial Centres Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia lists Boston, MA, San Francisco, CA, New York City, Washington DC, and Chicago as larger financial centers that anywhere in China except Hong Kong. The US financial system is very well spread out amongst the country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2014, 06:45 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,273,235 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mien View Post
Isn't Hong Kong is at the level of Japan already at the moment? I am talking based on GPD+life quality+living standart+education.

Philippines and Vietnam definitely not going to match any time soon(at least 40 years). If any nation going to be on par with Hong Kong anytime soon it would be Malaysia,China and Thailand in order.
So where would you place SIngapore on the scale then ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2014, 10:57 AM
 
164 posts, read 220,181 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
This isn't true. The Chicago mercantile exchange, one of the large commodities exchanges on the planet, is in Chicago. The Chicago Board of Trade is the largest trader of derivatives in the country. The largest oil futures market is the Intercontinental Exchange located in Atlanta, Georgia. Many of the largest banks in the US, including Bank of America, are headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Global Financial Centres Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia lists Boston, MA, San Francisco, CA, New York City, Washington DC, and Chicago as larger financial centers that anywhere in China except Hong Kong. The US financial system is very well spread out amongst the country

Yes. Chicago has a mercantile exchange. NYSE will move to IntercontinentalExchange's headquarter in Atlanta. However, US is still has only one financial hub-NYC. There is no way for US to endorse second financial hub in a viable future.

China is different. Mainland China and HK/Taipei are different, they cannot share a single financial hub. As of today, Beijing/Shanghai/HK/Taipei are all financial hubs in China. And China is only a 9 trillion dollar economy. It may grow to 20 trillion sometimes within next 15 years to be the largest economy, but they cannot support the single financial hub system. They have to support Shanghai/Beijing/Taipei as well. It is the nature of Chinese economy. If HK does not want to change, there will be a huge trouble to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2014, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,776 posts, read 5,131,359 times
Reputation: 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgz View Post
Yes. Chicago has a mercantile exchange. NYSE will move to IntercontinentalExchange's headquarter in Atlanta. However, US is still has only one financial hub-NYC. There is no way for US to endorse second financial hub in a viable future.

China is different. Mainland China and HK/Taipei are different, they cannot share a single financial hub. As of today, Beijing/Shanghai/HK/Taipei are all financial hubs in China. And China is only a 9 trillion dollar economy. It may grow to 20 trillion sometimes within next 15 years to be the largest economy, but they cannot support the single financial hub system. They have to support Shanghai/Beijing/Taipei as well. It is the nature of Chinese economy. If HK does not want to change, there will be a huge trouble to them.


When will you understand that Taipei has never been and will never be under PRC's control?Lol
Even botticelli knows that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2014, 06:33 PM
 
164 posts, read 220,181 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

When will you understand that Taipei has never been and will never be under PRC's control?Lol
Even botticelli knows that.
Well, that is why two culture systems are different. That is why Chinese will never ever be US ally.
It is same for everyone here to really understand Muslim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2014, 01:21 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,173 posts, read 23,698,700 times
Reputation: 11633
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgz View Post
Well, that is why two culture systems are different. That is why Chinese will never ever be US ally.
It is same for everyone here to really understand Muslim.
I don't understand your post. Can you explain it in a bit more detail because it isn't very intelligible as is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2014, 06:39 AM
 
110 posts, read 106,802 times
Reputation: 25
The problem with HKongers now is whatever protests and rallies they do to express their displeasure on issues of Beijing meddling their internal affairs...it is STILL Beijing has the final say on HK affairs.

That's a FACT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2014, 06:52 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,776 posts, read 5,131,359 times
Reputation: 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot09 View Post
The problem with HKongers now is whatever protests and rallies they do to express their displeasure on issues of Beijing meddling their internal affairs...it is STILL Beijing has the final say on HK affairs.

That's a FACT.
Yeah it's so sad.Taiwan is like the lamb waiting to be slaughtered now,we'd be like them if we don't actually do something....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2014, 07:23 AM
 
110 posts, read 106,802 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Yeah it's so sad.Taiwan is like the lamb waiting to be slaughtered now,we'd be like them if we don't actually do something....

What is the probability that PRC will attack Taiwan once the latter declare independence (officially)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2014, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,776 posts, read 5,131,359 times
Reputation: 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot09 View Post
What is the probability that PRC will attack Taiwan once the latter declare independence (officially)?
No it's not really about the independence.We'd love official independence but the current urgency is being annexed.PRC is smart,they use economic ties for unification,and KMT is totally their ***** so we have been feeling very helpless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top