U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 07:57 AM

9,522 posts, read 9,402,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPKS View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ overgeneralized things, aren't we ??

If you watched the episode, you would understand what I meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 09:43 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,993,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, and Bangkok has a few redlight districts which cover less than 0.1% of the area of the city. Amstersdam has it's redlight districts, as does Berlin. Many Asian cities do too, Singapore, Manila including Angeles City, Taipei, Tokyo, Phnom Penh, Kolkata. It's just Thailand's are a lot more touristy and well-known.
Sure. But Bangkok is considered the world's sex tourism capital

Old 06-03-2014, 09:53 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Pattaya is the sex tourism capital, not Bangkok.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:02 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,993,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Pattaya is the sex tourism capital, not Bangkok.
Care to explain?

Old 06-03-2014, 10:06 AM

2,701 posts, read 4,667,977 times
I was there in 2001, but not for the reason many people go- I was visiting a friend from Bangkok. The sex trade exists of course, in the red light districts mentioned- but everywhere else it's just a normal Asian city, with people that are actually rather conservative. The Thai women I knew were ashamed of this aspect of their country, and ashamed that this is the most well known aspect to foreigners of their city and country.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Care to explain?
I think at least 50% of the ladies living in Pattaya are working as prostitutes, the percentage of ladies working as prostitutes in Bangkok is not even 5%.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:22 PM

5,090 posts, read 8,064,121 times
Quote:
I think at least 50% of the ladies living in Pattaya are working as prostitutes, the percentage of ladies working as prostitutes in Bangkok is not even 5%.
I agree with your point that percentage wise, the number of prostitutes in BKK is a very small percentage of the population of BKK considering BKK is an enormously large city compared to Pattaya, especially taking into account BKK's greater metropolitan area.

That said, taking into account that Pattaya has a much smaller population, the percentage of the population that are prostitutes is likely higher in Pattaya. But 50% of all the women who live in Pattaya are prostitutes? Do you have any stats to support that kind of percentage? That sounds like a greatly exaggerated figure to me, although for foreigners who spend most of their time in the bars and areas where prostitution is generally found, it might seem like it.

Think about it. How many women in the adult entertainment areas are there who work in shops, restaurants, convenience stores, and vendors with all kinds of stuff, are there? You'd have to subtract those women from the 50% figure. In addition, Pattaya covers more area than just the adult entertainment area. There are hospitals, banks, malls, hotels, more restaurants and food stalls, shops of all kinds, women who sweep up debris along street curbs, school teachers, supermarkets, convenience stores, theme parks, the talat, etc., the list goes on, where women who live in Pattaya work. You'd need to deduct those women as well from the 50% estimate. In effect, the percentage figure of women that live in Pattaya who are prostitutes begins to dramatically shrink.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Think about it. How many women in the adult entertainment areas are there who work in shops, restaurants, convenience stores, and vendors with all kinds of stuff, are there?
A small % of those sell their body on the side
Seen it with my own eyes.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:37 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Quote:
For the girl it's $30-$50 for each highlight depending on what time of the day it is, how pretty she is and how much she's into you.

But if you are pretty good looking and under 40 some will go with you for free if you talk nice to them
Yeah but are they rich foreigners they want to make their 'boyfriend' and later extract money from?

Old 06-03-2014, 05:39 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Quote:
So? It doesn't change the fact the majority of people in Bangkok, let alone Thais, have no association with the industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia