U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2014, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,149,273 times
Reputation: 219

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot09 View Post
Angeles City as in the Los Angeles City?
No angeles city is in philippines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2014, 06:23 PM
 
5,096 posts, read 8,078,177 times
Reputation: 3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
A small % of those sell their body on the side
Seen it with my own eyes.
LOL! Okay, so you've actually seen it with your own eyes? And that's all the solid confirmation necessary to base a 50% estimate about ALL the women who live in Pattaya? How much is a "small %"? How would you know they work at the jobs I mentioned? Remember, this is about prostitutes, not someone who likes going out for an occasional romp. Again, are there any reliable stats, other than your eyes, to support that estimate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2014, 06:33 PM
 
Location: No. Virginia, USA
329 posts, read 477,359 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
LOL! Okay, so you've actually seen it with your own eyes? And that's all the solid confirmation necessary to base a 50% estimate about ALL the women who live in Pattaya? How much is a "small %"? How would you know they work at the jobs I mentioned? Remember, this is about prostitutes, not someone who likes going out for an occasional romp. Again, are there any reliable stats, other than your eyes, to support that estimate?

Yep. The 50% estimate is grossly overstated, even in Pattaya. In fact, it's becoming more family oriented in recent years; the Russians are a noticeable presence there these days, and they don't go in too much for that stuff. They bring their families for a nice beach vacation; either they didn't hear about, or are indifferent to, it's reputation as "sin city."

Last edited by Chasva69; 06-03-2014 at 06:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2014, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,273,333 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
Yep. The 50% estimate is grossly overstated, even in Pattaya. In fact, it's becoming more family oriented in recent years; the Russians are a noticeable presence there these days, and they don't go in too much for that stuff. They bring their families for a nice beach vacation; either they didn't hear about, or are indifferent to, it's reputation as "sin city."
Russians and Chinese (in fact Chinese are by far the largest group to Thailand) are starting to dominate the tourist industry in Thailand. Chinese are just not always as obvious - although they are in large groups - as 'farangs'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2014, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,346,398 times
Reputation: 36094
Read about Neoteny. Thais retain youthful bodies and facial features into later years than most other nationalities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2014, 09:11 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA
4,894 posts, read 3,399,694 times
Reputation: 7842
Thailand really didn't get a reputation as a place for sex tourism until the Vietnam War in the 60's. It began with the construction of US Air force bases in the country and later it was an official US military approved rest & relaxation center. Back then most of the sex trade was located in Bangkok and centered in the Pat Pong district.

Singapore was also on the US military approved list for rest and relaxation. In Singapore for instance there were four US military approved locally owned hotels that were essentially brothels. Three for enlisted people and a fourth for officers.

Despite Thailand's reputation the sex trade is mostly restricted to small areas of Bangkok and in the most popular tourist destinations around the country. Most of the country has more conventional tourist attractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2014, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,525 posts, read 3,111,651 times
Reputation: 3368
Why hasn't Thailand progressed? They still seem third world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2014, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,273,333 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Why hasn't Thailand progressed? They still seem third world.
Have you been to Bangkok? Yes, Thailand is still a poor country by global standards, but they have improved over the years, still quite a lot ahead of say Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Philippines, Indonesia even, but behind Malaysia. The GDP per capita is just below China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2014, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,273,333 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Thailand really didn't get a reputation as a place for sex tourism until the Vietnam War in the 60's. It began with the construction of US Air force bases in the country and later it was an official US military approved rest & relaxation center. Back then most of the sex trade was located in Bangkok and centered in the Pat Pong district.

Singapore was also on the US military approved list for rest and relaxation. In Singapore for instance there were four US military approved locally owned hotels that were essentially brothels. Three for enlisted people and a fourth for officers.

Despite Thailand's reputation the sex trade is mostly restricted to small areas of Bangkok and in the most popular tourist destinations around the country. Most of the country has more conventional tourist attractions.
Yep. Of course going to Thailand or Asia before than was really expensive anyway too.

Singapore has legal prostitution, Thailand does not, but it's pretty much tolerated (and police are all too happy to take 'protecting money').
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2014, 04:20 AM
 
110 posts, read 106,852 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yep. Of course going to Thailand or Asia before than was really expensive anyway too.

Singapore has legal prostitution, Thailand does not, but it's pretty much tolerated (and police are all too happy to take 'protecting money').
Are you referring to Geylang right? Geylang lorongs...name it..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top