U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 05:34 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times

Advertisements

So I'm reading some negative comments on both the Vietnamese and Chinese. While I did experience some negative things, mostly a few scammers, I find some of the comments a bit far-fetched. But it is true in my experience that compared to some other Asians (Balinese and Sri Lankans especially), people from the Sinosphere often have that same sort of demeanour. Businesslike, reserved until you get to know them, sometimes rude and inconsiderate. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely friendly individuals, but overall the society doesn't have the same feeling of warmth as some other places. Taiwan is probably not as bad as the PRC, though. I would say it's mainly the PRC, Vietnam, South Korea and Hong Kong. Some ethnic Chinese in Singapore and Malaysia and business-like Bangkok as well. Japan and Taiwan are probably the exception.

Do you think there's anything to this observation?

Old 06-10-2014, 05:48 AM

Why the Chinese don’t smile at strangers | Understanding the Chinese Mind

This is interesting. The strong 'us vs them' mentality, and lack of civic consciousness, actually reminds me a bit of Americans. The Brits and Japanese seem more communal in that sense. I have noticed that once you befriend a Chinese person though they can be great friends, and met some really friendly Chinese (as well as Vietnamese and Korean) folks.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:49 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,124,525 times
Isn't Sinosphere a word that specifically refers to China,Taiwan,ansd Singapore?Korea,Malaysia,Japan and others are not Sinophone by any means.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:53 AM

Sinosphere - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently they are, although you could distinguish them from the Sinosphere proper, which would be China, Taiwan and Hong Kong. Singapore is debatable, yes, and Malaysia isn't really the Sinosphere though it has a large Chinese population.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,194 times
Well, US, Canada, Australia, NZ, Ireland and even South Africa are quite Anglosphere. English is widely used and there are a lot of people with British ancestry. I don't consider South Korea, Japan & Vietnam as Sinosphere. They have been influenced by Chinese culture, but Chinese language is not widely used and most people are not of Chinese ancestry. It may even be offending for some to relate them closely with China.

In China, Chinese of different regions and provinces have different chracteristics or stereotypes viewed by outsiders. People of some regions maybe more violence, rude, alcoholic, big spender or argumentative while people of some other regions maybe more gentle, polite, subtle, save more money.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:55 AM

I'd say Vietnam, Korea and Japan are most Sinitic in that order, with Japan being the most distinct/least Chinese in cultural, especially the people's personality and demeanour.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:56 AM

7 Things I’ve Learned About Vietnam

Old 06-10-2014, 05:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,194 times
Some regions of China are famous for the descriptions you mentioned, some are not.
I don't want to point out which regions is famous for what type of people. You may ask your chinese friends about this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Businesslike, reserved until you get to know them

Old 06-10-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Isn't Sinosphere a word that specifically refers to China,Taiwan,ansd Singapore?Korea,Malaysia,Japan and others are not Sinophone by any means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcup_brazil_thisyear1 View Post
Well, US, Canada, Australia, NZ, Ireland and even South Africa are quite Anglosphere. English is widely used and there are a lot of people with British ancestry. I don't consider South Korea, Japan & Vietnam as Sinosphere. They have been influenced by Chinese culture, but Chinese language is not widely used and most people are not of Chinese ancestry. It may even be offending for some to relate them closely with China.

In China, Chinese of different regions and provinces have different chracteristics or stereotypes viewed by outsiders. People of some regions maybe more violence, rude, alcoholic, big spender or argumentative while people of some other regions maybe more gentle, polite, subtle, save more money.
Well they obviously have been heavily influenced by Chinese culture, in the same way say, Greco-Roman culture has influenced Europe, but there are obviously big differences between them too and they are their own nations/civilisations with long histories and identities of their own, especially Japan.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:10 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,851,414 times
Hongkong people are the worst. I never met anyone who is not rude in Hongkong. Everytime I go there, I always encounter a rude person. Just 2 weeks ago, there were 2 in the airport. First was the emigration officer, I just forgot to write my birthdate and he encircled it and gave it back to me saying " Got it ? ". Second was, my son was going to get out of the door, I chased him and suddenly the woman yelled saying " hey woman, didn't you know that this door is closed ? "
Both of them could have said in a nice way but it seems like it is so so hard for them to be nice.

Chinese from China are friendlier than Hongkong Chinese.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 06-10-2014 at 09:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or