U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 06:01 PM

76 posts, read 261,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sampson View Post
Most of the other nationalities seem to blend in with each other as they share similar features. I wouldn't be able to tell a Filipino from an Indonesian, Thai, or Cambodian for example.
I can easily spot out the Thai group apart from all of those groups you just mention at the first glance when placed their group photo together side by side(all of the photos obviously took from the same angle, so there are not any biased)

Filipino
http://s3.postimg.org/zbgnb0tyb/Philipines4.png

Indonesian
http://i.imgur.com/BVlOQCv.png

Cambodian
http://s3.postimg.org/jlwbjbxr7/Combodian1.png

Vietnamese
http://s3.postimg.org/y31ygvgrn/Viet3.png

Thai
http://s3.postimg.org/yksiizgyr/Thai_2.png

When compare with the Thais, Vietnamese people tent to have darker skin tone and lesser East Asian feature than Thai people.

This basically makes it easier for Vietnamese in order to fit in with Filipino,Indonesian or Cambodian.

Quote:
They all look quite similar to each other with the exception of the Vietnamese who stick out like sore thumb in my opinion.
Between 5 nationalities(which you were the one that mention to be in comparison) of Indonesian,Cambodian,Filipino,Vietnamese and Thai.

If there is a nationality that would going to "stick out like sore thumb" like the statement you made, it would be more like the Thai.

Last edited by elnina; 06-15-2014 at 01:17 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 06:18 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,144,102 times
^eh but doent vietnamese have lighter skin in general as compared to indo\filipino\cambos?

The indonesian outfits are batik, its considered quiet formal to wear here, even though it looks like a school uniform to some.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I like Burma's (Myanmar's) outfits best because they are a better reflection of their traditional culture instead of western apparel.

ETA: Now that I watched the video - I am voting for the Philippines' flag bear bearer.
I agreed, the Philippines' flag holder is obviously the boss of all when compare to the rest of flag holder from other nationalities

10/10 for the outfit and his body.

http://i.imgur.com/Y3MWhQT.png

http://i.imgur.com/jIePThB.png

Last edited by elnina; 06-15-2014 at 01:15 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 08:03 PM

4 posts, read 8,946 times
I've been to Thailand many times, traveled from north to south, been to Chiang-Mai to Bangkok to Pattani and most of the Thais I've met resembled Laotians and Cambodians. The Laotians in this video looked the same as any other Southeast Asian so if Thai people were to look different then it was due to mixing with Chinese.

Pure Thai which makes up 85% of the country look the same as any Burmese, Lao, or Cambodian while Vietnamese people clearly look closest to East Asian.

You sound familiar, by the way, like someone I knew from Anthroscape who got banned for falsifying graphs and data about Thai people and misrepresenting them as to look like Northeast Asians or something. I'm glad the administrator saw through his lies and banned him.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I've been to Thailand many times, traveled from north to south, been to Chiang-Mai to Bangkok to Pattani and most of the Thais I've met resembled Laotians and Cambodians. The Laotians in this video looked the same as any other Southeast Asian so if Thai people were to look different then it was due to mixing with Chinese.

Pure Thai which makes up 85% of the country look the same as any Burmese, Lao, or Cambodian while Vietnamese people clearly look closest to East Asian.

You sound familiar, by the way, like someone I knew from Anthroscape who got banned for falsifying graphs and data about Thai people and misrepresenting them as to look like Northeast Asians or something. I'm glad the administrator saw through his lies and banned him.
I've been to Vietnam many times, traveled from north to south, been to Hanoi to Danang to Can Tho and most of the Vietnamese I've met resembled Cambodians and other Mon-Khmer people(Since Vietnamese and Cambodian came from same origin and are closest related). The Cambodians in this video looked extremely Southeast Asian way way way more Southeast Asian than the Laotian who is closest related with the Thai. So if Vietnamese people were to look different from the Cambodian then it was due to mixing with Chinese during the 1000 years of Han-Chinese occupation, otherwise Vietnamese will look exact the same as Cambodian.

Pure Kinh(Jing)-Vietnamese which makes up 85% of the country look the same as Cambodian and other Mon-Khmer people while Dai-Thai and Dai-Lao people clearly look closest to East Asian (Dai ethnic are majority of Laos and Thailand).

Ethnic Jing(also called as "Vietnamese" and "Kinh")
http://www.chinahush.com/wp-content/...05ethnic49.jpg

Ethnic Dai(Also called as "Lao","Thai" and "Tai')
http://www.chinahush.com/wp-content/...05ethnic17.jpg

You are also sound familiar, by the way, like someone I knew from Anthroscape who got banned for bull$hit about his Vietnamese ethnic are peak of beauty and claim some none sense fantasy that Vietnamese look like Northeast Asians or something. I'm glad the administrator saw through his lies and banned him.

Anyway, all in all. The Thai and Lao are well known in their historical aspect that they have more Northerner origin than Vietnamese and Cambodian at first place, so it's nothing surprise for them too have more potential of East Asian in their feature regardless the scenario of mixing with Han-Chinese or not.

Last edited by elnina; 06-15-2014 at 01:16 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 10:13 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,845,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mien View Post
I agreed, the Philippines' flag holder is obviously the boss of all when compare to the rest of flag holder from other nationalities

10/10 for the outfit and his body.

Wow ... The Philippines is hot !

Old 06-12-2014, 01:44 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Quote:
I disagree, the Vietnamese look the most different compared to other Southeast Asians because they have very obvious East Asian admixture. I'm not counting Chinese immigrants in Singapore, Malaysia, or Thailand when I draw the comparison.

For example the woman in the center of the screen capture here would look out of place amongst any other group of people there:

Most of the other nationalities seem to blend in with each other as they share similar features. I wouldn't be able to tell a Filipino from an Indonesian, Thai, or Cambodian for example.
Wait I thought we were talking about their uniforms, not their facial features...

Old 06-12-2014, 01:48 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mien View Post
I've been to Vietnam many times, traveled from north to south, been to Hanoi to Danang to Can Tho and most of the Vietnamese I've met resembled Cambodians and other Mon-Khmer people(Since Vietnamese and Cambodian came from same origin and are closest related). The Cambodians in this video looked extremely Southeast Asian way way way more Southeast Asian than the Laotian who is closest related with the Thai. So if Vietnamese people were to look different from the Cambodian then it was due to mixing with Chinese during the 1000 years of Han-Chinese occupation, otherwise Vietnamese will look exact the same as Cambodian.

Pure Kinh(Jing)-Vietnamese which makes up 85% of the country look the same as Cambodian and other Mon-Khmer people while Dai-Thai and Dai-Lao people clearly look closest to East Asian (Dai ethnic are majority of Laos and Thailand).

Ethnic Jing(also called as "Vietnamese" and "Kinh")

Ethnic Dai(Also called as "Lao","Thai" and "Tai')

You are also sound familiar, by the way, like someone I knew from Anthroscape who got banned for bull$hit about his Vietnamese ethnic are peak of beauty and claim some none sense fantasy that Vietnamese look like Northeast Asians or something. I'm glad the administrator saw through his lies and banned him.

Anyway, all in all. The Thai and Lao are well known in their historical aspect that they have more Northerner origin than Vietnamese and Cambodian at first place, so it's nothing surprise for them too have more potential of East Asian in their feature regardless the scenario of mixing with Han-Chinese or not.
Most Vietnamese look closer to Central Han than Thais, imo.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Most Vietnamese look closer to Central Han than Thais, imo.
I don't see how does "most" Vietnamese physically look like Center Han like you claim, in fact the most east Asian looking Vietnamese still look only Southern Han(Southeastern type like Hong Konger).

Can you point out any individual in Vietnamese team who look like Center Han? Because I don't see any. Vietnamese in general obviously have the same face as Cambodian, just not as dark.

Btw, there some Thai individuals who look like Center Han or even Northern Han in Thai team.

Last edited by Mien; 06-12-2014 at 03:38 AM..

Old 06-12-2014, 03:29 AM

376 posts, read 742,189 times
Wow! !! Indonesian , thailand, myanmar, philipines contingent most excited.
Btw I see the flag of Indonesia is so different from flags other states of Southeast Asia, Indonesia flag is more Europ , could be mistaken for the Monaco flag and the flag of Poland so similar. We have a long history with the symbol of we country . I'ts really amazing ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or