U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 08:57 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,252,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
In China,the massive population is a good enough excuse for practicing totalitarianism,but I don't know why Singaporeans don't fight for democracy.(by "fight",it doesn't necessarily mean violence.There are plenty of peaceful party alternations in other places)
I mean yeah PAP isn't as corruptive,Singapore is one of the wealthiest states in Asia,but is it really healthy for Singaporeans to live under Lee's rule for decades to go?

In fact I think Singapore can practice direct democracy like Switzerland where referendum are held in a monthly basis.It just has everything it takes to evolve to a healthy democracy.
But of course it's for Singaporeans to decide.
I think even those who complain about the PAP are just afraid of a life without them. It's like LKY is the father of modern Singapore, and they can't imagine existence without the Lee dynasty. Will Singapore still hold it's strong position? There's been this idea for so long that Singapore is prosperous, modern, rich.etc, but I think with the immigration thing, and some people disatisfied over the lack of balance, the cracks are starting to show...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 09:28 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,126,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I think even those who complain about the PAP are just afraid of a life without them. It's like LKY is the father of modern Singapore, and they can't imagine existence without the Lee dynasty. Will Singapore still hold it's strong position? There's been this idea for so long that Singapore is prosperous, modern, rich.etc, but I think with the immigration thing, and some people disatisfied over the lack of balance, the cracks are starting to show...
The problem of this kind of dynasty thing is that everything is depending on one person,that's really dangerous.
Lee is like a wise and diligent emperor now,he runs the country like running an extra huge enterprise,but who knows what'd come next?

Old 06-12-2014, 11:40 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,272,472 times
PAP mulls legal action following "vicious" edits to Wikipedia page - xinmsn News

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sin...-page-20140613

Update on a SIngapore website today

Old 06-12-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
The problem of this kind of dynasty thing is that everything is depending on one person,that's really dangerous.
Lee is like a wise and diligent emperor now,he runs the country like running an extra huge enterprise,but who knows what'd come next?
I agree and it's time for change !!!

I have my 1 vote come next General Election ...

Old 06-16-2014, 06:33 AM

110 posts, read 106,749 times
The current system of government in Sg really works...with this system it brought prosperity to SG, peace and order and comfort.
Would you want this to change?

Old 06-16-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot09 View Post
The current system of government in Sg really works...with this system it brought prosperity to SG, peace and order and comfort.
Would you want this to change?
In general Singaporeans are not happy with 3 mains issues from the govt

1- High salaries of cabinet
2 - influx of foreigners
3- our CPF system.

The anti govt sentiment is
Obvious .. Last mth 5 teens sprayed graffiti on HDB rooftop abusing the PAP

5 teens charged with vandalism in roof graffiti case - Channel NewsAsia

I can't say for all SIngaporeans , but I am ready for change !!

Old 06-16-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
In general Singaporeans are not happy with 3 mains issues from the govt

1- High salaries of cabinet
2 - influx of foreigners
3- our CPF system.

The anti govt sentiment is
Obvious .. Last mth 5 teens sprayed graffiti on HDB rooftop abusing the PAP

5 teens charged with vandalism in roof graffiti case - Channel NewsAsia

I can't say for all SIngaporeans , but I am ready for change !!
The high salary of the govt officials I think is one way to eliminate corruption..Thus, SG is one of the least corrupt countries. How much do they earn so far?

Old 06-16-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot09 View Post
The high salary of the govt officials I think is one way to eliminate corruption..Thus, SG is one of the least corrupt countries. How much do they earn so far?
PM salary is about S$2million per annum , cabinet minsters about S$1.2 million per annum

Old 06-16-2014, 07:03 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,126,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
PM salary is about S$2million per annum , cabinet minsters about S$1.2 million per annum
Omg that's a lot of money.No wonder there isn't much corruption

Old 06-16-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Omg that's a lot of money.No wonder there isn't much corruption
agree... that's S$1.54k per month including AWS...
anyway, it must be constitutionally valid...is it?
there may have been a basis for it.

but come to think of it SG has one of the highest per capita income cities in the world...so it's quite reasonable i think...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia