U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 12:12 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,288,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
well.. he has Perankan roots in his blood.. so no surprise..

i dont have malay DNA in my blood
When we were playing badminton the other day someone told my dad, 'I can tell you look Baba.' I think my grandmother, who was Peranakan, probably had some Malay. She looked quite 'exotic' in her younger days.

Harry is Peranakan but he doesn't look very Malay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 12:13 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,277,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
When we were playing badminton the other day someone told my dad, 'I can tell you look Baba.' I think my grandmother, who was Peranakan, probably had some Malay. She looked quite 'exotic' in her younger days.

Harry is Peranakan but he doesn't look very Malay...
Harry isnt totally Peranakan if i am not wrong.. Partial Peranakan...

Old 06-14-2014, 12:19 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,288,926 times
Quote:
Harry isnt totally Peranakan if i am not wrong.. Partial Peranakan...
Well my dad is half Peranakan. His dad looks sort of Malay too, my uncle looked sort of Indian when he was younger. Though I've seen old photos of him with his uncle and aunt (he was orphaned, and apparently born in Burma) and they look sort of Manchu/Japanese.

My mum's mum is stout, with small eyes. Her dad was tall, and long-faced, nearly 6 feet, tall for a Singaporean of his generation.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:46 AM

Succession planning for S'pore leadership under way: PM

Extract from article

Succession planning for Singapore's top political leadership is well under way, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

Mr Lee, who is 62 this year, said he is making sure a new team, with new leaders capable of taking charge of the country, is ready.

His goal is to ensure the country continues to thrive after he is no longer the prime minister, he said at a dialogue with regional media editors at the Istana.

"In Singapore, we pay a lot of attention to succession planning and making sure we have a new team ready and new leaders who are capable of taking charge, so that the country can move ahead and the leaders can be in sync with the country," he said.

Mr Lee noted that he had brought in more than 20 new Members of Parliament in the 2011 General Election, several of whom are Cabinet members and are "doing well and moving into more responsible positions".

The four Cabinet members who entered politics in 2011 are Education Minister Heng Swee Keat, Minister for Social and Family Development Chan Chun Sing, Acting Manpower Minister Tan Chuan-Jin and Acting Culture, Community and Youth Minister Lawrence Wong.

"I hope they continue to do well and mature and grow in their responsibilities and in their understanding of Singapore," he said.

He also hopes Singaporeans will grow to accept their leadership.

Mr Lee had been asked by a Malaysian editor how long he planned to stay as Singapore's leader, as the era of long tenureship of prime ministers seemed to be over in South-east Asia.

"I think leaders stay as long as they are able to make a contribution. If they stay beyond that, then they have overstayed their welcome," he replied.

"I can't say exactly how long I'm staying but I'm 62 years old and that's not young," he added.

In 2012, he said in an interview that he hoped not to continue as prime minister beyond the age of 70.

- See more at: Succession planning for S'pore leadership under way: PM

Old 06-14-2014, 12:57 AM

If LHL plans to not stay beyond 70, there is 8 more years to go.. Princeling is just 35..

So well tan chuan Jin or Chan Chun Sing may be similarly a seat warmer like Goh Chok Tong till princeling is ready to take power... Ha hA

Old 06-16-2014, 06:13 AM

110 posts, read 106,914 times
what if the next PM is a Malay?

Old 06-16-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot09 View Post
what if the next PM is a Malay?
No problem at all, in fact a lot of people like the Deputy PM who is an Indian Tharman.. And from online sentiment.. If you wanna to trust what i say, a large no of people think he is a good choice for the next PM..

but he is 57 this year, and by the time LHL goes he is 63.. Not the right age in view of the PAP....

Old 06-16-2014, 06:26 AM

110 posts, read 106,914 times
Quote:
No problem at all, in fact a lot of people like the Deputy PM who is an Indian Tharman.. And from online sentiment.. If you wanna to trust what i say, a large no of people think he is a good choice for the next PM..

but he is 57 this year, and by the time LHL goes he is 63.. Not the right age in view of the PAP....
But i think PAP will still be leading Sg come GE2016. Are the majority ready for a change in leadership? Looking at the larger picture, PAP has stable leadership, sound policy and is delivering more tangible results and solutions to any Sg issues. This is just my own perspective though.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:14 AM

What if Mr Low Thia Khiang Were to be Prime Minister Instead? | The Real Singapore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or