U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2007, 08:36 AM

351 posts, read 1,719,661 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to move to Manila and have been looking at house rentals. I'll be working near Ortigas Center and am being directed to all the usual expat neighborhoods nearby. It is my hope to find a small semi/furnished house with yard (grass) and pool within not-horrible commute for around 120,000/mo. Proximity to schools is not a concern, and I'm not overly concerned with being in an expat ghetto (unless there are real crime considerations). I'd be interested in any recommendations about what to expect and what to look out for as I start my housing search.

A specific question I have is about Anteneo. I've been warned against it, but found an excellent possible house on CL.

Thanks in advance for any/all thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 11:03 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,711,063 times
Mabuhay!
Traffic is MANILA is GOD HORRIBLE . my Relatives tell me in the Philippines that there is like no middle class, there are the poor then the Rich. I don't believe it but they are not far from wrong. I would Throw Manila out the window, go to Cebu. its much nicer. Manila is GHETTO(for the most part...)! you have ally ways that are 20 feet wide and have tin houses 3 stories high. These are squatter villies. I would suggest you live in a gated community. It can get hot in the summer, where are you coming from? The traffic is really bad, the time it takes to drive 15 minuets in Dallas (where I am) takes and hour in Manila.
I don't know where you are talking about. If you are coming from the US, you are in for a big surprise, this is not you US CITY. Now if you coming from NY the traffic should be similar, and crime is a big problem in Manila... But unless you're coming from somewhere like Bangkok you are in for a wild ride.
Mabuhay ang Republika Ng Pilipinas... best of luck... the city is nice for Tousim but to live i would want to be rich... then you can really live like a King...

Old 12-16-2007, 12:22 PM

716 posts, read 1,902,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Mabuhay!
Traffic is MANILA is GOD HORRIBLE . my Relatives tell me in the Philippines that there is like no middle class, there are the poor then the Rich. I don't believe it but they are not far from wrong. I would Throw Manila out the window, go to Cebu. its much nicer. Manila is GHETTO(for the most part...)! you have ally ways that are 20 feet wide and have tin houses 3 stories high. These are squatter villies. I would suggest you live in a gated community. It can get hot in the summer, where are you coming from? The traffic is really bad, the time it takes to drive 15 minuets in Dallas (where I am) takes and hour in Manila.
I don't know where you are talking about. If you are coming from the US, you are in for a big surprise, this is not you US CITY. Now if you coming from NY the traffic should be similar, and crime is a big problem in Manila... But unless you're coming from somewhere like Bangkok you are in for a wild ride.
Mabuhay ang Republika Ng Pilipinas... best of luck... the city is nice for Tousim but to live i would want to be rich... then you can really live like a King...
Must you paint such a horrible picture of a country, much of which, information passed onto from your relatives back home?

Op, Ortigas is a nice area and is pretty much a very good location with some real nice housing sub divisions. Try to find out what you can of Valle Verde, its a good, safe neighborhood. You're pretty much smack in the middle of all the good locations, provided you know your way round and know how to anticipate rush hour, you will be fine.

If you prefer a carefree lifestyle and wouldnt mind living in a condo located in Makati (posh area) then i can assist you with getting in touch with people who owns and rents theirs.

Cost of living is fairly cheap, you only need enough money to sustain a good standard of living, to live like a king is bit of an overkill and an exageration

What is your line of profession may i ask?

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-16-2007 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: Spelling doesn't count at City Data

Old 12-16-2007, 10:33 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,711,063 times
The King thing is exaggerated. but I mean the rich people have 3 or 5 servants. and 1-3 divers.
And come on... They have to know the truth, manila is poor. I'm not going to lie and say its like Beverly Hills when its not.
And YES people do have servants and drivers there, the one who hires them must feed them and shelter them though. This is not uncommon as most High rise apartments (which where the middle class seems to be) are built to shelter a servant. You do have to pay your servants by the way, i think the minimum wage is 500 pisos per month(idk i forget), but its not a lot because roughly about 45 pisos is a dollar.
Manila is a real Shopping city. They're shopping malls on like every street corner (not literally...but not far from it) Its very Humid and the summers can be a little annoying because they hot and humid.
The Filipino government is corrupt btw.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:01 PM

255 posts, read 1,101,182 times
Hi there, can't direct you to any housing areas specifically but our family lived in the Philippines for 8 years and stayed in Quezon City when we were in Manila. Two of our three children were born in hospitals in Manila. We didn't expect the Philippines would be like the U.S. We had also lived in Indonesia so we'd lived in Asis before we got to the Philippines. Expectations are everything. Yes, the traffic is bad but so is the traffic in any major city around the world. I actually lived in the Province and visited Manila but we have friends who live there and love it. It's all in your perspective. You'll find the nice shopping areas fairly quickly and the restaurants are fabulous. We loved the Philippines. All the best.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:17 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,199,593 times
I'm curious as to what everyone's line of work is that they are able to work abroad in Asia?

I spent a good deal of time in Southeast Asia, and would like to return some day after I finish up my schooling and then get a couple years of experience in the business world under my belt.

Any tips you could offer to transferring over to Asia? Is it easiest to work for an American multi-national with offices in Asia and then switch offices after you have worked for the company for a year or two?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:07 AM

351 posts, read 1,719,661 times
Mead (and GracieJJ) I work in international development and have worked for the US Government and a number of iNGOs and consulting firms. I'm interviewing with an international financial institution based in Manila. Working overseas is great, although there are some prices to pay (see the expat forums on this list). Getting "in" is either a straight shot (see ageny websites) or working the ladder (http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/res.nsf/doc212?OpenForm). Depending on your background, interest, and patience in working with a wide range of professional (or less so) organiations and companies, and fleixibility of pay, there's a whole world out there. Can't really respond to how the corporate world works, alas....

Anyone with any neighborhood feedback to provide is welcome. I'm looking for specifics on the housing area (such as: "semi-furnished means refrigerator is already there) and other practical tips as I get my head around this move. Is it better to import furniture or to buy locally? What amenities should I NOT assume (given that I'm effectively looking in the expat enclave). If there are any seasoned expat veterans out there, you'll know what I mean.

Thanks to all for weighing in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia