U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2014, 09:05 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Reputation: 7578

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
. One day for Orchard Road.
well, if you like the idea of spending a whole day on a 2km long street, then I guess 5 days for Singapore is justified. It is like spending a whole day at Times Square NY.

 
Old 07-16-2014, 09:30 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
History is one thing, but what does history count for if there are no visible signs of that history? So Kyoto has a history dating back 2000 years, but how much of that history actually remains? It's oldest buildings are barely 1000 years old. Whereas go to Rome, you have some buildings close to 3000 years old, or Athens, Cairo, now THAT is history to boast about. Most of Kyoto is actually even less historical than Singapore, with fewer historical buildings, same with Tokyo. Most Asian cities, even if they boast an old city history, actually have few buildings over a few hundred years old. Beijing, for instance, or Seoul. Bangkok and Saigon are only around 300-400 years old each, and have little in the way of historical buildings outside the main tourist sites. What about Shanghai?
Oldest building in Kyoto is 1000 years old, fine, what's the age of the oldest building in Singapore, maybe from the mid 1800s?

And you are really comparing Beijing to Singapore in terms of historical sites? How about the Temple of Heaven or Forbidden City, dating to the 15th century, both world heritage sites?

What about Shanghai? Do you think it is just a modern city with glass towers? Have you been there? The YU Garden dates back to the 1600s. Does Singapore have anything remotely that ancient? The architecture on the Bund holds one of the world's richest art deco architecture in the world (52 buildings of various styles).

The nearby Suzhou dates back to the 6th century, with the world's renowned classic gardens (UNESCO heritage) from as early as the 11th century. What does Singapore have? Something from the second world war?

Speaking of world heritage sites, there are only three countries in SE Asia that don't have any: Brunei, East Timor and Singapore. Countries like Vietnam and Cambodia are all more interesting than Singapore.

Yeah, if westerners just want clean streets, excellent hotel services and western food, plus some shopping and beach resort, sure, go to Singapore and spend your dollars as much as you want. Nothing you can't get from some Caribbean islands or Miami. But of course, they can proudly say they have been to "Asia".
 
Old 07-16-2014, 09:44 AM
 
318 posts, read 407,448 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Oldest building in Kyoto is 1000 years old, fine, what's the age of the oldest building in Singapore, maybe from the mid 1800s?

And you are really comparing Beijing to Singapore in terms of historical sites? How about the Temple of Heaven or Forbidden City, dating to the 15th century, both world heritage sites?

What about Shanghai? Do you think it is just a modern city with glass towers? Have you been there? The YU Garden dates back to the 1600s. Does Singapore have anything remotely that ancient? The architecture on the Bund holds one of the world's richest art deco architecture in the world (52 buildings of various styles).

The nearby Suzhou dates back to the 6th century, with the world's renowned classic gardens (UNESCO heritage) from as early as the 11th century. What does Singapore have? Something from the second world war?

Speaking of world heritage sites, there are only three countries in SE Asia that don't have any: Brunei, East Timor and Singapore. Countries like Vietnam and Cambodia are all more interesting than Singapore.

Yeah, if westerners just want clean streets, excellent hotel services and western food, plus some shopping and beach resort, sure, go to Singapore and spend your dollars as much as you want. Nothing you can't get from some Caribbean islands or Miami. But of course, they can proudly say they have been to "Asia".
I know Singapore isn't that interesting in that regard and doesn't boast those centuries old grand sights, but I'm talking about the city as a whole. I've been to Beijing, it sure is amazing, but the vast majority of Beijing is pretty new.
 
Old 07-16-2014, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,444,578 times
Reputation: 4409
Don't know enough about some of these cities to choose properly, but I think by day 2 of Delhi, most people would really regret planning 5 days there. You will find a layer of black soot in any and all of your orifices within a few hours of being outside...

It's a good jumping off point though.
 
Old 07-16-2014, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,144,960 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
I know Singapore isn't that interesting in that regard and doesn't boast those centuries old grand sights, but I'm talking about the city as a whole. I've been to Beijing, it sure is amazing, but the vast majority of Beijing is pretty new.
The thing is they're mostly colonial buildings, sure they're pretty a bit of nostaglia of mini Europe in Asia with various styles of blending with local culture, but since the neighboring Southeast Asian also has them so.... plus the Penang and Malacca colonial district, doesn't really makes Singapore historically significant in the region, and its only 200 yo. And i found Qingdao extremely beautiful if you want to see "where east meet west" colonial style. Old Singapore isn't that vast either nor particularly amazing, interesting yes but lack "wow" factor. Maximum 3 days for me in Singapore is enough, i usually don't go to cities to visit zoos or theme parks, i like the "historical part" and also shopping malls to chill after the tiring walk :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Don't know enough about some of these cities to choose properly, but I think by day 2 of Delhi, most people would really regret planning 5 days there. You will find a layer of black soot in any and all of your orifices within a few hours of being outside...

It's a good jumping off point though.
Indian cities is interesting but not pleasant, i wouldn't stay in any of Indian cities for more than 1 or 2 days, except Goa or maybe Cochin which were reputed for being more pleasant than the north, probably an extra 1 day for Goa for its rich Portuguese history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I can't fly into a country, check it out and leave all in the same day.

If 6 days is the maximum stay and 2 days the minimum stay
and if i could only use each number of days (2-6) five times...

2 days: Delhi, Calcutta, Yangon, Bandung
3 days: Mumbai, Pnohm Penh, Penang, Jakarta, Cebu
4 days: Hanoi, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore
5 days: Beijing, Shanghai, Taipei, Manila, Saigon
6 days: Tokyo, Kyoto, Seoul, Hong Kong, Bangkok

90 days total!
Cebu for 3 days? i think that's a little too much, doesn't seem to have that many attraction there, even the nice beaches are located outside town.

Last edited by Goshio22; 07-16-2014 at 10:27 AM..
 
Old 07-16-2014, 05:09 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,271,356 times
Reputation: 416
2 days in Singapore is not enough .

I would suggest an iternary like this

1 day- sentosA
2nd day- merlion, esplanade , singapore flyer , city hall , padang ,marina bay sands
3rd day- gardens by the bay, bugis and orchard rd
4th day - river safari, night safari , Chinatown , little India
 
Old 07-17-2014, 12:56 AM
 
Location: Nepal
1 posts, read 690 times
Reputation: 10
I will go with Singapore .And i want to suggest Pokhara from Nepal to be included in the list.
 
Old 07-17-2014, 01:32 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,351,665 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't deny that Singapore HAS history - but the city state has 700 sq km, only a bit harder than Toronto, the city I live in, and smaller than Los Angeles or New York city. There is only this much to see.

In terms of "history", it hardly has a total history of 200 years, compared with more than 2000 for Kyoto for example. It will be hard to find a city that has less than 200 years of history in East and Southeast Asia, isn't it?

I am sorry, unless you lie on the beach for 3 days doing nothing, there is simply not enough to see for 5 straight days in Singapore. 2 probably is enough. If Singapore deserved 5 days, Paris and Kyoto probably would need a month.

As to Hong Kong, I just pity those westerners who fly all the way to East Asia but ended up spending most time seeing Hong Kong just so that can comfortably get by using English, ordering western style food and don't get much of a cultural shock - it is better than Singapore for sure but by not much.
HK is a cool city for sure; I always have a blast there... But I think it'd be a shame to travel to Asia and only see it.

It's still distinctly Chinese, but admittedly, when I'm there, I go in part because it's easier/cheaper to buy Western products, and I gorge myself on Indian, Middle Eastern, and Italian food since the offerings in GZ are either lacking outright or of poorer quality.

But, its still one of the coolest and most unique cities in the world. TBH I'd rather live there than NYC.
 
Old 07-17-2014, 01:54 AM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,144,960 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
HK is a cool city for sure; I always have a blast there... But I think it'd be a shame to travel to Asia and only see it.

It's still distinctly Chinese, but admittedly, when I'm there, I go in part because it's easier/cheaper to buy Western products, and I gorge myself on Indian, Middle Eastern, and Italian food since the offerings in GZ are either lacking outright or of poorer quality.

But, its still one of the coolest and most unique cities in the world. TBH I'd rather live there than NYC.
Expect cramped and small apartments though.. housings are terribly expensive and space is not that much either.
 
Old 07-17-2014, 01:56 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,422 posts, read 12,412,038 times
Reputation: 4851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Cebu for 3 days? i think that's a little too much, doesn't seem to have that many attraction there, even the nice beaches are located outside town.
Yeah for some R&R after spending so much time in all these huge cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top