U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 08:07 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,305,510 times

Advertisements

* not including day-trips out of the city

Say if you did a big trip of Asia. How many days would you spend in each city, given a moderate budget to stay in decent accommodation, and see all the main attractions? Assume you have to rely on public transport or coaches.

Singapore - 5 days

Kuala Lumpur - 3 days

George Town, Penang - 3 days

Bangkok - 5 days

Saigon - 2 days

Hanoi - 4 days

Phnom Penh - 2 days

Yangon - 1 day

Hong Kong - 6 days

Taipei - 6 days

Shanghai - 5 days

Beijing - 5 days

Tokyo - 6 days

Seoul - 4 days

Kyoto - 5 days

Kolkata - 3 days

Delhi - 5 days

Mumbai - 4 days

Jakarta - 2 days

Manila - 3 days

Cebu - 2 days

Bandung - 3 days

Old 06-13-2014, 08:46 PM

8,653 posts, read 5,423,390 times
I been to a few of them on your list like, Singapore city, Seoul, and Tokyo and few others that you don't have on your list. I spent at least 2 to 3 days at a time in each but I was also stationed in japan when I was in the navy. If you have respiratory problems, don't hang around some of the cities in china too long, the pollution can get pretty bad.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:22 AM

15,956 posts, read 36,253,462 times
Singapore - 5 days - maybe 1 day too much.

Kuala Lumpur - 3 days - thats about right.

George Town, Penang - 3 days - this would work if you have access to a car.

Bangkok - 5 days - good.

Saigon - 2 days - Saigon is bigger than Hanoi. I'd at least equal it out with Hanoi.

Hanoi - 4 days - Hanoi's main spot is the French Quarter, and 4 days might be too much for it. YOu could combine HaLong Bay though to make a good solid 4 days.

Phnom Penh - 2 days - sure.

Yangon - 1 day - I think if you'd travel all the way to Yangon, you'd want at least 2 days.

Hong Kong - 6 days - sure

Taipei - 6 days - sure

Shanghai - 5 days - a bit too much.

Beijing - 5 days - I think you have an interest in China, so why not.

Tokyo - 6 days - might be too much.

Seoul - 4 days - sure.

Kyoto - 5 days - easy to do, particularly if you combine Osaka and Kobe with this - they are altogether more or less.

Kolkata - 3 days - never been.

Delhi - 5 days - never been.

Mumbai - 4 days - i had 4 days and I was sad to leave. Interesting city. You could spend one whole day just trying to be an extra in a Bollywood movie. Interesting place.

Jakarta - 2 days - sure.

Manila - 3 days - sure.

Cebu - 2 days - sure.

Bandung - 3 days - whoa! 3 days for Bandung but only 2 for Jakarta? Misproportional. Bandung is way smaller and less interesting.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:48 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,152,513 times
^^ Bandung have many interesting natural attraction nearby, traffic is bad on weekend because of the Jakartans flocking, but its definitely much more relaxing than Jakarta. Bandung is surrounded by hills, plantations and mountains, its higher altitude makes it cooler than Jakarta. West Java is very interesting place by its own right, but the attraction is definitely not Bandung. If you are into nightlife, food, gorgeous hotels and malls then Jakarta is your destination, beside the West Java surrounding Jakarta is also nice, but if you hate chaotic city avoid it.

Apart from colonial buildings (for art deco enthusiast), Japanese bunker, and malls there isn't much point of interest in Bandung, and for foreigner the museums are all in Indonesians.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:04 AM

10,437 posts, read 12,468,061 times
I can't fly into a country, check it out and leave all in the same day.

If 6 days is the maximum stay and 2 days the minimum stay
and if i could only use each number of days (2-6) five times...

2 days: Delhi, Calcutta, Yangon, Bandung
3 days: Mumbai, Pnohm Penh, Penang, Jakarta, Cebu
4 days: Hanoi, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore
5 days: Beijing, Shanghai, Taipei, Manila, Saigon
6 days: Tokyo, Kyoto, Seoul, Hong Kong, Bangkok

90 days total!

Old 07-13-2014, 04:50 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,305,979 times
Singapore is vastly overrated by westerners.

It is tiny, dull with very little exciting to see. Yes it is clean and orderly, but you don't come to a place after spending thousands of dollars to see ultra clean streets. It was ranked the most overpriced city in terms of travel as well. To spend the same days in Singapore as in much more interesting cities like Kyoto is unbelievable.

I also don't know what you can do with six days in Bangkok. After visiting it I honestly have no idea why it is such a tourist magnet (unless you are interested in the extremely low priced sex business).

Old 07-13-2014, 05:25 PM

6,790 posts, read 5,154,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

It is tiny, dull with very little exciting to see. Yes it is clean and orderly, but you don't come to a place after spending thousands of dollars to see ultra clean streets. It was ranked the most overpriced city in terms of travel as well. To spend the same days in Singapore as in much more interesting cities like Kyoto is unbelievable.

I also don't know what you can do with six days in Bangkok. After visiting it I honestly have no idea why it is such a tourist magnet (unless you are interested in the extremely low priced sex business).
Lol love this.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:13 PM

318 posts, read 409,648 times
Quote:

Singapore is far more than just a clean sterile utopia. People usually gush about HK, but SG actually has more historical fabric left.

Bangkok is good for a few days, IMO. Unless you just wanna eat, maybe shop, and ***** it up lol...

Old 07-13-2014, 07:28 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,305,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
Singapore is far more than just a clean sterile utopia. People usually gush about HK, but SG actually has more historical fabric left.

Bangkok is good for a few days, IMO. Unless you just wanna eat, maybe shop, and ***** it up lol...
I don't deny that Singapore HAS history - but the city state has 700 sq km, only a bit harder than Toronto, the city I live in, and smaller than Los Angeles or New York city. There is only this much to see.

In terms of "history", it hardly has a total history of 200 years, compared with more than 2000 for Kyoto for example. It will be hard to find a city that has less than 200 years of history in East and Southeast Asia, isn't it?

I am sorry, unless you lie on the beach for 3 days doing nothing, there is simply not enough to see for 5 straight days in Singapore. 2 probably is enough. If Singapore deserved 5 days, Paris and Kyoto probably would need a month.

As to Hong Kong, I just pity those westerners who fly all the way to East Asia but ended up spending most time seeing Hong Kong just so that can comfortably get by using English, ordering western style food and don't get much of a cultural shock - it is better than Singapore for sure but by not much.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:08 PM

2,371 posts, read 1,510,542 times
Quote:

Is it? I always thought the overall perception was pretty much as you contend, that it was clean, efficient, organized, and pretty dull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or