U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 02:27 AM

376 posts, read 744,217 times

Advertisements

treated as same as Indonesian population in general, yeah there may still be a little discrimination but not much, and most importantly you know most large ethnic in Indonesia are Javanese with 46% (85 million) and Sundanese 15% (46 million).
Chinese Indonesia it is the newcomers ( minority ) , at this time they are given a freedom to find their identity back, and that is their right. as they could carry out a new year china( Imlek ) , learn Mandarin and perform the festival " Cap Goh Meh" today , almost happened in several provinces.

As an example of freedom of Chinese Indonesia are doing at treated today

IMLEK in Singkawang , Pontianak

lampion singkawang 2011.mp4 - YouTube

Festival " CAP GO MEH " in Bogor , West Java

Cap Go Meh Bogor 2014 (14/2/14) Part 12 - YouTube

Old 06-17-2014, 03:17 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,148,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
From what I know, the Javanese, who committed the persecution are largely confined to the Island of Java. All the bad things happened on the Island of Java also. The chinese there are significantly outnumbered on Java.

The big islands, like Sumatra, Borneo, dont have as much Javanese, and the chinese on those islands do not suffer much persecution simply because they are not terribly outnumbered.

Those islands are much bigger, less people, have more resources to exploit. Why dont all the Chinese on Java simply pack up and go to those islands. It makes no sense for them to stay on Java when they are despised.
No presecution also occurs before in sumatra and borneo as much as it happened in java, there was anti chinese riots in medan too before where chinese is at significant number. Basically if indonesian are still as chinophobic as before they would have very little place, maybe the christians area re more tolerant. And aceh are probably the most cruel in sumatra when it comes to ethnic chinese treatment.

Chinese are historically cored on major commercial center of dutch east indies that mainly are located in java, and also have been intebreeding with native javanese. Java is home to ethnic chinese as much as it is to the javanese. Those who still wanted to pledged loyalty to china after the anti communist purge are allowed to leave indonesia for china, but not many of the overal total chinese decided to go back to china.

Chinese are nowhere significant in majority of indonesia, their number are tiny in comparison to native indonesian (3%), wherever they are they would remain minortiy.

Not all Indonesian in the past are anti-Chinese, during the 1998 riot many helped the ethnic Chinese to hide in their home and Mosques, and also building up what they had lost.

Last edited by Goshio22; 06-17-2014 at 03:26 AM..

Old 06-17-2014, 05:45 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,263,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
No presecution also occurs before in sumatra and borneo as much as it happened in java, there was anti chinese riots in medan too before where chinese is at significant number. Basically if indonesian are still as chinophobic as before they would have very little place, maybe the christians area re more tolerant. And aceh are probably the most cruel in sumatra when it comes to ethnic chinese treatment.

Chinese are historically cored on major commercial center of dutch east indies that mainly are located in java, and also have been intebreeding with native javanese. Java is home to ethnic chinese as much as it is to the javanese. Those who still wanted to pledged loyalty to china after the anti communist purge are allowed to leave indonesia for china, but not many of the overal total chinese decided to go back to china.

Chinese are nowhere significant in majority of indonesia, their number are tiny in comparison to native indonesian (3%), wherever they are they would remain minortiy.

Not all Indonesian in the past are anti-Chinese, during the 1998 riot many helped the ethnic Chinese to hide in their home and Mosques, and also building up what they had lost.
Yes, of course not all are anti-Chinese, I wonder if most Indonesians are beginning to see them as just Indonesian? At least the ones who are culturally integrated. After a certain point, is there Chinese ancestry even relevant? I mean i don't even think of Chinese Thai as 'Chinese', but rather just Thai.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, of course not all are anti-Chinese, I wonder if most Indonesians are beginning to see them as just Indonesian? At least the ones who are culturally integrated. After a certain point, is there Chinese ancestry even relevant? I mean i don't even think of Chinese Thai as 'Chinese', but rather just Thai.
Yes for the newer, modern or younger population, not by old people, rural conservative people, extremist and radical groups.

But in general we dont ask whether you are chinese or not as common as in malaysia.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Yes for the newer, modern or younger population, not by old people, rural conservative people, extremist and radical groups.

But in general we dont ask whether you are chinese or not as common as in malaysia.
It can be annoying how segregated the groups are in Malaysia. Like in Singapore, you are legally identified by 'race.' It seems to be even getting worse, according to what I hear. Like Malays and Chinese not mixing as much, Chinese and Indians moreso, it's partly the religion thing. Of course some do, but it's not the norm. Because of religious laws intermarriages are rare as well.

I'm assuming there's nothing to identify Indonesian Chinese? I mean like they aren't classified by 'race.' They might look a bit different, but if they're mixed, I'm sure they could quite easily blend in and totally just abandon their Chinese identity.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:44 AM

^if you ask indonesian chinese whether they're indonesian chinese they are likely to tell you that they are chinese, but we dont ask these kind of question back home, rather than racial its more as an ethnic identity in indonesia and is used to differentiate the 200 different ethnic groups. But in general indonesian are just plainly indonesian, and this kind of ethnic ideas slowly are dwindling in major melting pots like jakarta.

If they are mixed, they usually dont care abt the issue and happy to be just called indonesian.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:59 AM

Yes, I mean if they don't practice any Chinese culture can they really claim to be ethnically Chinese?

Old 06-17-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, I mean if they don't practice any Chinese culture can they really claim to be ethnically Chinese?
They did celebrate chinese new year, but for the christians thats mostly it. But if they dont usually they probably didnt consider themself to be chinese in the first place.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
They did celebrate chinese new year, but for the christians thats mostly it. But if they dont usually they probably didnt consider themself to be chinese in the first place.
Interesting. Yeah I don't really consider myself Chinese myself, at least in an ethnic/cultural since, just my ancestors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or