U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your Favorite Asian City? Choose up to 5.
Tokyo 34 44.16%
Seoul 12 15.58%
Istanbul 8 10.39%
Hiroshima 2 2.60%
Beijing 5 6.49%
Shanghai 14 18.18%
Hong Kong 25 32.47%
Jakarta 4 5.19%
Tel Aviv 4 5.19%
Jersusalem 6 7.79%
Haifa 3 3.90%
Astana 2 2.60%
Beirut 3 3.90%
Tehran 4 5.19%
Dubai 8 10.39%
Calcutta 4 5.19%
New Dheli 5 6.49%
Bangladesh 2 2.60%
Bombay 4 5.19%
Singapore 13 16.88%
Bangkok 14 18.18%
Kuala Lumpur 8 10.39%
Colombo, Sri Lanka 2 2.60%
Taipei 16 20.78%
Manila 15 19.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 07:21 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,353,363 times

Advertisements

You know what you call a Filipino contortionist? A Manila folder! But, BOT: I've only been to Korea, the Phillipines and Okinawa, so my knowledge is rather limited on that side of the globe. But I'd sure like to go see some of the other countries (my wife went to Beijing and loved it) Korea has many nice cities. I once visited Chin Hae (on the South coast). It was Spring as we descended the hill into the city and the hillsides were in full bloom with flowers. What a beautiful sight. Glad I'm young enough not to have experienced the Korean War...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 07:36 AM

492 posts, read 2,149,574 times
I'm curious as to why 5 people chose Seoul, South Korea? If you did, I'd like to hear your comments. I was there a week, and the only thing I liked was the subway.

I think the problem was that I spent a week in NYC, flew home to Ohio for a day, and then left for Seoul. So in some way I think I was expecting Seoul to be like New York. It so isn't.

Maybe I'd like Seoul now that I've been in Korea for a while... ???

Old 12-30-2007, 09:45 AM

2,209 posts, read 6,915,159 times
I'm still curious as to why Israel is on the list but Vietnam is not.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:36 PM

716 posts, read 1,902,847 times
I went with Manila (being Pinoy) - Kaula Lumpur - Hong Kong - Tokyo - Seoul. Places that i have visited and liked.

And yeah, im curious why jerusalem is on the list. Are all those mediterenean countries are part of Asian continent, i know some are but all of them??

Old 12-30-2007, 06:25 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,353,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
I'm curious as to why 5 people chose Seoul, South Korea? If you did, I'd like to hear your comments. I was there a week, and the only thing I liked was the subway.

I think the problem was that I spent a week in NYC, flew home to Ohio for a day, and then left for Seoul. So in some way I think I was expecting Seoul to be like New York. It so isn't.

Maybe I'd like Seoul now that I've been in Korea for a while... ???
Boardmanite, I chose Seoul and enjoyed my visits there. But I haven't been there since 1980. I enjoyed sightseeing, shopping and dining, personally. I'm guessing that Seoul is even nicer since the Olympics came to town and as Koerea's economy has improved considerably since the days I was stationed there. Hope your next visit is better!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:33 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,548,840 times
Thumbs up Tokyo and Seoul

Tokyo and Seoul because I spent two years in Korea with R&R four times in Tokyo. Tokyo was alive and vibrant, especially on the Ginza Strip and Seoul was about the most civilized part of war torn Korea when I was there.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:05 AM

4 posts, read 10,319 times
I loved a place called Jaisalmer in India. And Guilin in China. The smaller cities and towns are often so much more exciting than the big international ones if you want to get a real feel for the local life.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:08 PM

8 posts, read 24,521 times
Hands down Beirut, Lebanon. People haven't been visiting Lebanon in the last couple of decades as much as they used to. Right after the Lebanese Civil War, things slowly began to pick up, but Israel destroyed Lebanon's economy last year during the war with Hezbollah and scared many people off. Beirut is a beautiful city, but because it's located in a country that people for whatever fatuous reason fear, many people from America have stopped visiting it. In 2006, Travel and Leisure magazine voted Beirut the 9th best city in the world, falling right behind New York City. I'd suggest people visit Beirut and see it for themselves.

Quote:
Beirut has in many ways more in common with the Mediterranean world
I concur. Many people in Lebanon, especially the Christians, say Lebanon is a geographical mistake and that it should be located in Europe.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:29 PM

255 posts, read 1,101,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
By the way, Asia is quite meaningless. Beirut has in many ways more in common with the Mediterranean world and it has very little or nothing to do with Chinese cities.
Gosh, I had to read your post twice. I think you mean that the term "Asia" is quite meaningless in this context. I agree. It would have been better to separate them as Central Asia and Asia which is the way you find these areas of the world in an Atlas.

I actually think that Indonesia is my favorite country in Asia. I lived there for 5 years and Denpasar in Bali would be my favorite city although I'm sure it's not on the list. I totally love the food. Jakarta is hot, sprawling, dusty and loud. But the Indonesian people are wonderful.

As are Filipinos. I lived there for 8 years and so I love Manila. My feelings of countries and cities I love have a lot to do with the people who became my friends.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:46 AM

37 posts, read 156,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Saigon. To some it's known as Hochiminh City. Still listed as Saigon on most airport schedules thruout Asia.

Curious as to why no city in Vietnam is on your list, yet you have Israeli , and even a Lebanese cities on it.
I got the same question. Where is Vietnam (HCMC, Hanoi) on our list? What about Myanmar (Burma) or Laos or Cambodia? Shall I go on?

I would say Hanoi is my favorite city in all of Asia. Love Hong Kong and Lijiang in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia