Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 01:11 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,860,839 times

Advertisements

My wifes family is from Northern China, and what was said about how they view Southern Chinese is quite true. My wifes dad brought home cooked dog one time and had my wife eat it, without telling her what it was, she said it was ok, and at the time she was surprised it was dog, but didn't say it was terrible. That's the only time her family ever ate dog, that she knows of!

That being said, I could see this event getting banned in China in the future, it's not about eating dog meat from what I understand, it's just a ritualistic killing of dogs. But China has a lot bigger issues on it's plate then this. As an American I do find this appalling and barbaric, but also realize our culture has down barbaric things in the past as well.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:07 PM

17,877 posts, read 15,715,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
With respect to food, Japan seems to be the most "normal" country in Asia.
There is a new fad in Japan. They take a live frog and skin it a certain way so it is still alive, and they serve it will alive and skinned so it watches itself being eaten.

there is a youtube vid of it.

let me see if I can find it.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It might sound preposterous to you but I don't really mind eating dogs or whales.
Human only protect the "animals" we want to protect.I don't eat dogs but if someone I know who does,I wouldn't mind.Morally,I don't see there's any difference between eating dogs or eating beef.
Yes, but most farmers, ranchers, and hunters historically have always tried to treat the animals with some respect.

Americans may have anti-cruelty laws, but many times behind closed doors, these laws are ignored in favor of the bottom line.

Remember that Kosher slaughter house in Iowa?

Old 06-22-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
This is also an important reason why I do not support democracy in China. How can you expect so many uneducated people a real say in the official policies of the country when they enjoy brutal acts like beating a dog to death in public and do not have any basic sense of hygiene and cleanliness? China's current dictatorship of technocrats running the country is probably the best bet for China right now. Can you imagine what China would be like if the idiots who enjoy killing and watching dogs get killed in public had a vote? If they enjoy the brutal acts as fun entertainment, what kind of politician would they vote in? In turn, what kind of national policies would China then have? I cringe just thinking about it.
Same with Africa and the middle east.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:09 PM
JL

8,515 posts, read 14,454,235 times
meh...it isn't quite common as you think...sure it happens just like in Vietnam, but most still view dogs as pets, but there is always a small market for them...

This expat catches one guy selling it on the curb side in front of his clothing store or something...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNIIgHuLA9A

Old 06-23-2014, 12:08 AM

4,858 posts, read 7,563,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It might sound preposterous to you but I don't really mind eating dogs or whales.
Human only protect the "animals" we want to protect.I don't eat dogs but if someone I know who does,I wouldn't mind.Morally,I don't see there's any difference between eating dogs or eating beef.

I'm with you.

I would never eat horse meat, but you can order it at restaurants in France and other countries..."Horse meat is disgusting." said the guy who went to a hog roast this weekend.

Who am I to judge?

Old 06-23-2014, 12:14 AM

4,858 posts, read 7,563,656 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJovxS9-RTQ

Those poor dogs in uncivilized China.

If you're not a vegetarian, get off your soap box.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:25 AM

5,773 posts, read 5,054,663 times
"I know about the US agro-businesses and all the videos of cruelty against pigs, chickens and cattle. But the US does have anti-cruelty laws in every state etc. China has absolutely nothing. A real shame."...

The above is part of my first post. I am fully aware of the situation in the US. This still does not excuse the butchering of dogs in public. And I don't see these people working in factories laughing with glee as they ground up baby turkeys....or maybe they do during their break? Anyway, PETA posted many videos of the US meat processing industry.

Dogs have a "contract" with us humans and that is why it's so hard to see them getting slaughtered. But the concern for potential disease and the hygiene aspect of what is happening in China is a real concern, and I think this will be the angle from which the Chinese authorities will slowly ban and eliminate the eating of dogs across China. As far as I am concern, China needs a powerful and enlightened government to lead and govern this vast country that still has millions of uneducated people.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:01 AM

8,868 posts, read 8,334,723 times
[quote]Dogs have a "contract" with us humans[quote]
This might sound vile but only the dog lovers would say such things lol.I have always been annoyed by the dogs.I don't think butchering the dogs in public is right,it's about as wrong as killing cows or pigs in public imo,which of course,is awful and should be banned.

Btw I don't think the government of China gives a damn about dogs or cats at all.They took out the organs of the members of Falun Gong,they aren't any more humane than those that giggle while slaughtering dogs to me.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:21 PM

16 posts, read 25,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Perhaps it's my western sensibilities that's offended but I cannot help but think how much less evolved these people are from the pictures.

The good news is that huge Chinese netizen outcries from the much more sophisticated and civilized Chinese internet public is shutting down these festivals for good. I hope China continues to evolve into a more civil and humane society. It has a long long way to go because there are still hundreds of millions of uneducated and backward Chinese people in the country. This is also an important reason why I do not support democracy in China. How can you expect so many uneducated people a real say in the official policies of the country when they enjoy brutal acts like beating a dog to death in public and do not have any basic sense of hygiene and cleanliness? China's current dictatorship of technocrats running the country is probably the best bet for China right now. Can you imagine what China would be like if the idiots who enjoy killing and watching dogs get killed in public had a vote? If they enjoy the brutal acts as fun entertainment, what kind of politician would they vote in? In turn, what kind of national policies would China then have? I cringe just thinking about it.
What's offensive to me is not just that you think these sensibilities are exclusively western, but that you're sincere in your condemnation of an entire country that has suffered from insurmountable injustices across multiple generations, based on the actions of a few people eating canines at a food festival no less.

While I condone animal cruelty, making comments like the one above is, if not insensitive, simply in bad taste (no pun intended).

Michael Vick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bullfighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I suppose Americans and Spaniards should simply give up our votes because of the "idiots" who enjoy watching animals get killed. The rest of the population certainly don't deserve anything better... you know, rights, or anything like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia