Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 03:07 AM

5,790 posts, read 5,104,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
No, it's not a regular food in China or other countries where dogs are eaten. Plus historically many cultures have eaten dog, not just Asians.

Except it seems the Chinese, the Koreans and the Vietnamese are the only ones still doing it.....

Old 06-21-2014, 03:24 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
With respect to food, Japan seems to be the most "normal" country in Asia.
Aside from sea snail flambé'd live in the shell and stuff like that... Blugh, no thanks.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:59 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Except it seems the Chinese, the Koreans and the Vietnamese are the only ones still doing it.....
Yes, I was mainly referring to them, although i hear it happens in tribal parts of Indonesia and the Philippines too. Also in some Pacific Islands.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Japan has some weird things to. I would say Malay cuisine has the least amount of 'weird' things, in general, compared to other cuisines.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:08 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
It might sound preposterous to you but I don't really mind eating dogs or whales.
Human only protect the "animals" we want to protect.I don't eat dogs but if someone I know who does,I wouldn't mind.Morally,I don't see there's any difference between eating dogs or eating beef.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It might sound preposterous to you but I don't really mind eating dogs or whales.
Human only protect the "animals" we want to protect.I don't eat dogs but if someone I know who does,I wouldn't mind.Morally,I don't see there's any difference between eating dogs or eating beef.
Yes, while I wouldn't eat dog myself (and I too know someone who has, a Vietnamese friend), to me it's about how 'humane' the slaughter is, although killing is never a pretty business. Pigs are just as intelligent and probably as sentient as dogs. Also I'm more concerned about the hunting of endangered species personally.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:34 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
At least I know for sure that those old days of Koreans eating dogs are LONG gone. I've heard the Swiss eat dogs too

Old 06-21-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
At least I know for sure that those old days of Koreans eating dogs are LONG gone. I've heard the Swiss eat dogs too
It's definitely declined, but I think it still happens from time to time.

I saw dog restaurants in Vietnam, but I don't think it's an everyday food.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:48 AM

5,790 posts, read 5,104,962 times
That's what many say to me. I guess my repulsion has to do with the familiar and the fact that dogs live so close to us as pets etc. In fact, pigs are determined to be more intelligent, and certainly whales and dolphins are very sophisticated too. The rational side of me would have no problem with any sort of meat, so long as it is not from an endangered animal. That's another story where Chinese consumption based on ridiculous cultural beliefs is wrecking havoc in the animal world.

The issue is the fact that these sellers were actually demanding huge sums from the woman because they thought they could exploit her sensibilities. The fact that they have no qualms about brutalizing a living animal out in public is also very disgusting. Perhaps it's my western sensibilities that's offended but I cannot help but think how much less evolved these people are from the pictures.

The good news is that huge Chinese netizen outcries from the much more sophisticated and civilized Chinese internet public is shutting down these festivals for good. I hope China continues to evolve into a more civil and humane society. It has a long long way to go because there are still hundreds of millions of uneducated and backward Chinese people in the country. This is also an important reason why I do not support democracy in China. How can you expect so many uneducated people a real say in the official policies of the country when they enjoy brutal acts like beating a dog to death in public and do not have any basic sense of hygiene and cleanliness? China's current dictatorship of technocrats running the country is probably the best bet for China right now. Can you imagine what China would be like if the idiots who enjoy killing and watching dogs get killed in public had a vote? If they enjoy the brutal acts as fun entertainment, what kind of politician would they vote in? In turn, what kind of national policies would China then have? I cringe just thinking about it.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:48 PM

90 posts, read 203,177 times
Quote:
I bet you havent seen fish being sliced up as sashimi while still alive in Japan...among other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia