U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 03:48 PM

22,158 posts, read 23,683,428 times

Advertisements

Four main things to me would be:

Taroko Gorge and the general mountainous interior of Taiwan can be very beautiful

Night markets in general

National Palace Museum

Hot springs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 06:03 PM

318 posts, read 408,138 times
Taiwan is pretty overlooked, but is well worthwhile. It boasts some of the most spectacular scenery of any island in Asia, the mountains, Taroko gorge, the coast. Taipei is an interesting city, and it's architecture, while nothing special, isn't all that terrible if you ask me.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:04 PM

318 posts, read 408,138 times

This is a way cooler flag imogl

Old 06-25-2014, 11:14 PM

6,776 posts, read 5,128,008 times
^I don't like flags with the outline of the country on it,but it's better than that KMT-centered idiocy nonetheless.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Hot springs
It's very hot in Taiwan in summer,so I'd recommend you cold spring in Yilan.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:36 PM

17 posts, read 19,216 times
Taiwan is absolutely underrated. I suppose it depends on where you're coming from and what types of things you are into.

Night markets can be a culture shock if you're new to Asia, and nothing I've seen in Asia has so far compared to the ones in Taiwan, in terms of liveliness and atmosphere. Food at said night markets can be pretty eye opening. Taiwan also has tons of mountains, clean cities, good infrastructure, and interesting people. I would honestly love to explore Taiwan more if I had the chance - I feel it often gets overlooked as an international tourist destination, which might be a good thing. There was nothing quite like stepping into the solemn atmosphere and deafening silence of a Buddhist temple located in the heart of a bustling night market. I visited in February and imagine my experience would have been quite different in the summer.

To the person who asked what's so interesting about the night markets, they're pretty much like circus/fair events that take place at night, some of them with ridiculous food options (and amazingly cheap). Above all, the atmosphere can feel pretty magical, depending largely on where you are. Not to get sentimental, but I'll never forget the harmony I felt with people of all ages playing outside, riding bikes, playing music, etc. It truly was an opportunity to glimpse into another culture, which is rather special for a tourist. Then again, I'm the kind of tourist that enjoys watching 300 random people assemble in a square in Hangzhou and suddenly break out in dance to Will Smith.

Last edited by paprikaplains; 06-26-2014 at 02:50 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 08:30 PM

22,158 posts, read 23,683,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post

This is a way cooler flag imogl
I'm not against the idea of a new flag, but that really is some shoddy design.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm not against the idea of a new flag, but that really is some shoddy design.
Lol it's DPP's design I think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia