U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 02:01 PM

2,470 posts, read 4,659,528 times

Advertisements

What sightseeing do tourists usually do in Taiwan?
I can't think of any famous places or things there. Not like the surrounding countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 10:14 PM

6,782 posts, read 5,142,063 times
Because this country has no such places lol.

Taipei 101,National Palace Museum,CKS Memorial Hall,Taroko,Ali Mountain,Sun Moon Lake are some of the tourists attractions.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:57 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,277,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Because this country has no such places lol.

Taipei 101,National Palace Museum,CKS Memorial Hall,Taroko,Ali Mountain,Sun Moon Lake are some of the tourists attractions.
I have not been to Taiwan, but a lot of Singaporeans like to go there..

My aunties, and friends from gym are going there around oct... 2-3 different groups though...

Old 06-25-2014, 03:49 AM

1,007 posts, read 726,669 times
Don't forget the night markets, especially in Taipei. Like nothing you'll see anywhere else in Asia.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Don't forget the night markets, especially in Taipei. Like nothing you'll see anywhere else in Asia.
Yeah this,but if you don't enjoy crowds,then I'd say avoid the night markets.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:56 AM

501 posts, read 462,891 times
I thought the National Palace Museum in Taipei was awesome. I remember being at the Forbidden City in Beijing a few years ago and thinking how the buildings were kinda cool, but the place just seemed empty and lacking historical artifacts, and then we went to the National Palace Museum in Taipei and there they all were (apparently the KMT took most of the cool stuff with them when they left China for Taiwan :-)

Taiwan has quite varied and interesting scenery. Taroko gorge is interesting, yeliu rock formations, some really tall mountains and cool waterfalls and some nice beaches on the east coast with surprisingly good surfing. And because it is not a very big island and the train system is convenient, most of those places are pretty easy to get to.

Night markets are good places to eat (and I suppose shop a bit) but they can be crowded and hectic, so depends on how you feel about that kinda environment.

There are some cool buildings like Taipei 101, the Palace Museum, a lot of memorial halls and temples and stuff, but for the most part Taiwan architecture is pretty ugly

Taiwan has a lot of theme parks and amusement parks too, but I have never been to any of them.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
I thought the National Palace Museum in Taipei was awesome. I remember being at the Forbidden City in Beijing a few years ago and thinking how the buildings were kinda cool, but the place just seemed empty and lacking historical artifacts, and then we went to the National Palace Museum in Taipei and there they all were (apparently the KMT took most of the cool stuff with them when they left China for Taiwan :-)

Taiwan has quite varied and interesting scenery. Taroko gorge is interesting, yeliu rock formations, some really tall mountains and cool waterfalls and some nice beaches on the east coast with surprisingly good surfing. And because it is not a very big island and the train system is convenient, most of those places are pretty easy to get to.

Night markets are good places to eat (and I suppose shop a bit) but they can be crowded and hectic, so depends on how you feel about that kinda environment.

There are some cool buildings like Taipei 101, the Palace Museum, a lot of memorial halls and temples and stuff, but for the most part Taiwan architecture is pretty ugly

Taiwan has a lot of theme parks and amusement parks too, but I have never been to any of them.
About the ugliest in the entire world actually.Nobody cares enough to actually "plan" the looks of the towns.

Btw those amusement parks usually have nothing to write home about,I'd recommend tourists to stay away from those boring rubbish and go to more interesting places like National Palace Museum.The most popular items(Jadeite Cabbage and stuffs) are currently lent to Japan though,but there are still tons of things to see.Yeah you're right,KMT took most of the antiques with them when they had to flee to Taiwan,probably the smartest thing they've ever done,all they did was murder Taiwanese after that.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:34 AM

2,470 posts, read 4,659,528 times
What is interesting about the night markets?

Taiwan is notable for industries like HTC and LG.

They also have a cool flag.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:14 PM

501 posts, read 462,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post

LG is Korean.

Night markets are interesting because they have lots of good food :-) And many places don't really have markets like that (pretty much no city in the US does, for example. At least not on a regular basis).

Old 06-25-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post

Well the food.

LG is Korean,lol.

That flag is ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia